1st Day of summer on the Susquehanna North Branch

HenryDavid

I finally hit a hatch on the river when the bass were actually rising. This spot has produced for me in the past and is my Shangri-La for dry fly fishing. Please excuse the poor audio and camera work. This is recorded by a small head mounted action cam which is enclosed in a water proof housing. I'm also constantly pulling it off my head to make sure it's recording.

I ended up with 7 on the fly rod. Here are a couple of video stills including a quick dip in the river.

1st smallie photo.jpg

falling in.jpg

The first clip is the biggest smallie I've caught this season, about a min. long. The 2nd video clip which includes the entire playlist is a little under 15 minutes long. I'll be working on some editing software soon, hopefully make things less painful to watch.

HenryDavid

Great day. What we’re you using? Looks like some kind of popper.
That's a small white popper made by Boogle Bugs, probably a size 10. It turned out to be a pretty good imitation of the Sulphurs that were on the water. I had the popper on before the hatch and as things progressed they were taking it steadily. I'd normally use a traditional dry fly imitation but the smallies can make a mess out of a dry fly and it's a pain to try and keep it floating.

booglebullet_pearly_white.jpg

HenryDavid

I just priced them, last time I ordered some was 2 years ago. They were for sale on Ebay, with shipping it was around $3 each. Now they are no longer on Ebay and listing for $6.95 + shipping. Nice popper but I'm not paying $11 for one. Melvin's poppers work just as well, maybe he can crank some out at $5 a pop, lol

Bootfoot

I’m not paying $6.95 with free shipping for one. That’s why I tie. It’s my experience that SMB looking up will hit anything on top wether it be a whitefly, a white boodle bug, a white popper or a white gurgler. the white gurgler is a must have for me.

HenryDavid

Tonight was a complete bust with the insects. Temps dropped like a rock, what a difference from 2 days ago, steam coming off the river big time.

HenryDavid

It’s funny how them bugs just leave like then in a little bit of cold weather.
There were a few out but it was very sporadic. When I see 1 fish rise 50 yards upstream, then another 100 yards downstream, then nothing for 10 minutes I consider it a bust.