2023 trout stocking

HenryDavid

According to PFBC stocked trout streams are closed to fishing after today - Feb. 19th. Only special regulations waters - open all year - DHALO are open to fishing until the opening day of trout season. The regulation previously was March 1st for stocked streams.

HenryDavid

If the stocking procedure was more organized they could leave streams open until only a couple of weeks prior to the actual date for stocking, they could post the stretches with the date that the stream is closed to fishing, but that would be too much to ask. Plenty of holdovers left around and no one on the streams right now but most of the water is off limits :sneaky:
They are back at screwing things up.:sneaky:

Don M

Went to Pickering creek yesterday (delayed harvest), saw 100's of trout. Only caught 7, But they stocked it Tuesday, guessing most of the fish were sore lipped from being caught. One officer snuck up on me, and saw I had a lifetime license and trout stamp. I questioned him about the streams that postponed for stocking. He say to his knowledge it's a logistics problem, not enough help. He did say it's not a problem with fish in the hatchery's.

Don

Well that is a relief Don. Once the season is open I'd like to join you somewhere for trout. I want to learn the technique for trout magnets and any other tricks I can borrow. How is Croix holding up?

Melvinp

If the stocking procedure was more organized they could leave streams open until only a couple of weeks prior to the actual date for stocking, they could post the stretches with the date that the stream is closed to fishing, but that would be too much to ask. Plenty of holdovers left around and no one on the streams right now but most of the water is off limits :sneaky:
That’s the best fishing you just have to go at night in camo and walk 5 miles from the car lol and don’t forget the power bait.The kids have a blast 2 weeks from the opening day

Reactions: A-5

HenryDavid

That’s the best fishing you just have to go at night in camo and walk 5 miles from the car lol and don’t forget the power bait.The kids have a blast 2 weeks from the opening day
I'm not that desperate. I have been trying to train myself to be a better nymph fisher, catching 1 or 2 holdovers each outing doesn't bother me, getting skunked doesn't bother me. But not being able to simply practice in a stream that isn't even stocked yet does bother me. I'm going to try the lakes and see if I can still water nymph. By the end of March there will be no trout that can resist my nymphy drifts, natural born killer fulfilling my destiny.