4/5 weight fly rod

Don

I’ve seen pics recently of older Sage 5wt 11’ switch rods on chrome! I think HD is prepared for the odd record musky to come along, lol. “No such thing as over-gunned”
Thats one thing, I'm past that now at my age. for the 9,999 cast's before catching a big Musky I'd like to be comfy. If I lose the giant it was not meant to be and I'll never trophy fish. Trophy fishing is for you young pups ( not that I'm terribly old).

HenryDavid

LMAO, I used to take my 6wt. for Susky smallies, hooked them on a dry fly and then just hold on with rod bent in half while they sit in the current, could not move them like I can with the 8wt. Less stress on the fish and I can cast out again and hook another instead of taking 20 minutes to beach them. On one occasion I took a 4wt. out to the Lehigh River, ran into a mess of smallies, they were running between my legs and wrapping me up, no control, never again. I'm fairly sure some of those bigger Susky channel cats would break a 6wt.

Don

Thinking I'll make a 7 or 8 this coming winter. Kind of a do all size for some of my larger Medalists. I have a 1495 1/2 that needs a longer rod to balance better. It sits on the shelf looking at me. 9, 9.5 or 10'

Melvinp

LMAO, I used to take my 6wt. for Susky smallies, hooked them on a dry fly and then just hold on with rod bent in half while they sit in the current, could not move them like I can with the 8wt. Less stress on the fish and I can cast out again and hook another instead of taking 20 minutes to beach them. On one occasion I took a 4wt. out to the Lehigh River, ran into a mess of smallies, they were running between my legs and wrapping me up, no control, never again. I'm fairly sure some of those bigger Susky channel cats would break a 6wt.
Nothing better then hearing your rod crack but not break lol.I’ve done 30 on 9. 10 on 7 and 4 on 4 really depends on what kind of mood the fish is in have had small fish on my 9 that have kicked my butt

Last edited: