6 or 6.5' Casting rod

Don

I'm about to build a rod for my son. He is turning 40 and I'm gifting him a 40th Anniversary Spincast reel and it will sit on this new rod. Last time I built a rod a co-owner of Ark-Tunkannuk mentioned that he might have used a different schedule (spacing) for the guides. I want to learn more and am hoping a few of you will bust in with your guide spacing recommendations. I am planning on using micro guides for most of them.
It will be a 6' or 6.5', 6-12lb, medium, medium or medium, heavy taper, just a cheap MHX or CBR blank.

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
This is a link to Mudhole and their spacing charts. Very comprehensive.

Randy Z

Just remember. Those spacing charts are just suggestions. Ive found out that while more guides makes for a better rod, sometimes its too many. I found this true on some ultralight rods ive built. The guides were too close together at the tip and the line would wrap around those guides way too often. Now, too your question. Kind of need to know a few things. What type of handle, split? Solid, how long is the handle going to be? Here is my suggestion for a 6'5" rod with a foot long handle. Starting from the tip down..... first guide starts at 3", 6", 10 1/2", 14 1/2", 19", 24", 31", 39", 49".

Don

Nine! That is what I was thinking. 11"regular cork, casting seat. two or three inch cork ahead of the seat. Remember that this is for a Spincast reel for shore fishing panfish. It will be tossing 6lb XL.

TS, They are comprehensive but they are not especially known to be tweekers. I wanna tweek.

A-5 this is a small reel on a medium rod built custom and expressly for small fish so 5-6 was the most common. I want to use 6.5.

Reactions: A-5

Don

Ahhhh you’re not as odd as most people think.
I’d like 10’ for shore fishing. But not for general use.

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
TS, They are comprehensive but they are not especially known to be tweekers. I wanna tweek.

Understood. Get some surgical tubing and place your guides and tinker until you find perfection. Make sure to have your desired reel positioned as well, it matters.

Don

I thought about that until I realized that I'm not sure I would recognize any differences. I do know and recognize that the more guides the smoother casting.

Melvinp

Stiffer rod less fewer eyes softer rod more eyes what kind of blank is this ul,L,ML,so on and 1,2,3 or 4 piece there’s a lot of variables

Don

I already bought this just hours ago. The question will be do I use all the 9 guides, how far apart do I make the butt from the handle? I used this same rod for my other Son's birthday only as 6' instead of 6.5. I figured that the extra length would allow me to make the rear handle area a full 11-12".

Attachments

• IMG_2490.jpeg
    IMG_2490.jpeg
    17.1 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2488.jpeg
    IMG_2488.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 2
  • tempImagerV42ZX.png
    tempImagerV42ZX.png
    5.7 MB · Views: 2

Randy Z

Well, you can take everyone's advice for sure. But specifics will give you way more info. Up to you.

Don

You have the most experience. Would love for you to expand on your comment as I'd learn more in short time. This is a medium rod and I plan to follow your schedule. Specifics?