60’s record whitetail found

Gremcat

Headline seemed to say it was announced today but article said they had already received a replica rack from actual mount now in MO or somewhere on display. Maybe old news but thought some might be interested. Pretty interesting symmetry and I’ve seen similar, though much smaller here at the house.

Gremcat

Nearby deer was 14 pts and from early velvet pics in my yard looked fairly young to me. Just had lots of long points. Honestly, I was chasing a different deer 2 years ago when I spooked this one up to a neighbor. I like heavy mass, etc. to lots of tines or non-typical racks. If I mounted one it would be a monster 6-8 pt with a 130”+ rack. I saw an 6 pt that scored 160”ish online and it was absurd how big it was. I was surprised how symmetrical the 14 was though when my neighbor killed it. I hadn’t seen it since July that year and expected it to look a lot different grown in.

Solitario Lupo

Since I’m not a hunter i gotta set up a shed trap. Boy it would be fun to get those antlers in it. My deer don’t get that big but I got some nice 8 pointers. The biggest has been a 10 point.

Gremcat

Stuff like this deadhead are what I dream of.

501F8295-47B8-4F0C-B32C-24EAD9F6C56D.jpeg

Well, mostly dream of meat but if I dreamed of trophy whitetail. I picked up an awesome 6 pt deadhead more than 10 years ago. I think I finally broke down and cut the antlers loose when I split the skull capped racks in a bin in my garage for storage. It was green and only had half its nose. Should’ve kept it intact, that was a cool skull.

Gremcat

Since I’m not a hunter i gotta set up a shed trap. Boy it would be fun to get those antlers in it. My deer don’t get that big but I got some nice 8 pointers. The biggest has been a 10 point.
I’ve killed a boatload of 8 pts but can’t seem to get anything bigger or what I’d consider a pedestal wall mount worthy one yet. One was real close and I probably should’ve. It had a white stripe on its nose too. Came off Gamelands in N.C. onto the 5acre sliver I was hunting. I’m pretty comfortable slipping in tight to houses and have been lucky none flopped in front yards really. Side yard a few times, behind gates to a community once 🤦‍♂️.

Solitario Lupo

I got a found a couple skulls one was in perfect shape. I cut the antlers off should of kept it whole. One I got must of been in the creek floating around for awhile but looks like a big flood pushed it up and on shore.

Solitario Lupo

The water took all its color away. Thinking of adding some color back to it but haven’t done it so far. Thinking of a red to make it look like a cherry tree stain.

Attachments

• CB8AAB54-A2D3-4EA1-A7AF-3D377A80D9D0.jpeg
    CB8AAB54-A2D3-4EA1-A7AF-3D377A80D9D0.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 1

Solitario Lupo

Stuff like this deadhead are what I dream of.

View attachment 2447

Well, mostly dream of meat but if I dreamed of trophy whitetail. I picked up an awesome 6 pt deadhead more than 10 years ago. I think I finally broke down and cut the antlers loose when I split the skull capped racks in a bin in my garage for storage. It was green and only had half its nose. Should’ve kept it intact, that was a cool skull.
Can’t believe it’s only 6pts being that thick of a rack. Must of been eating good.

Gremcat

The water took all its color away. Thinking of adding some color back to it but haven’t done it so far. Thinking of a red to make it look like a cherry tree stain.
I forget which stain I used but I did stain one slightly to add color back. The big 6 was whitened so must’ve been a few years old. A kid that snuck into farm before I started hunting it told me he saw a huge 6 there but it wasn’t a trophy to him. Kid shot them from truck or at night so finding the 6 after property was logged I suspect he’d shot it and lost it.

Gremcat

Tim Wells had a huge one he couldn’t get an arrow in and never saw again. Think it was thought of as the record for a 6 or 8. I sort of recall he knapped his own flint, made his own arrows, and had made his own bow from Osage. I watched hunting shows a bit back then. Think it’s the same guy. Pic was online and another pic mentioned it was him hunting. If he’s who I’m thinking of he was real down to earth guy I didn’t bow hunt then but enjoyed his show. A lot of shows he didn’t kill anything. Not sure he’s still around making shows. I subscribed to a channel recently to stream the cinematography level show Jim Shockey had but haven’t found an urge to watch any.