Allergies

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
I posted this on another fishing site but I thought I would ask here also because you guys are locals to me.

I went fishing this morning and there went the Allergies, just like any other time I go fishing this time of year. I only fished til noon and here I am typing this at 7pm with watery eyes, a runny nose and feeling run down. I don't care how much of a good night's rest I get, when I get home, I feel like a zombie and I usually require a nap, unfortunately, I always wake up feeling very lethargic. Tomorrow I'll be fine but man, it is really starting to wear on me. FWIW, I am 51, in good shape, no medical issues and live in SE PA.

Does anyone have any tips? Over the years, I have done the continual doses of Clariton, Zyrtec, Xyzal and a Nasacort Nasal Spray with some success but the side effects with vivid dreams take their toll and I stop taking it. Anyone else have that issue? I've tried the local bee honey thing, it did not seem to make a difference. I shower after fishing and put on fresh clothes and that does help but the damage is done by then. I even have one lake near me that gets Algae Blooms and I have learned to stay away when it gets into summer as I will get bumps and rashes on my arms and legs. Obviously, I am allergy sensitive but I cannot be alone and hopefully one of you guys can help with a possible solution....rather than not going fishing.
;)

Solitario Lupo

Can’t really help since I don’t have it that bad. I’m sure there’s something out that will help.

On another thing is that I think your crazy for fishing in this weather. Lol. ☀️🔥:)

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
Can’t really help since I don’t have it that bad. I’m sure there’s something out that will help.

On another thing is that I think your crazy for fishing in this weather. Lol. ☀️🔥:)

I hear you there but I am well equipped for that stuff. Since my kayak days, I learned to wear the full sleeve sun shirts and boonie hat and lather up with sunscreen where left exposed. I actually do quite well with that, it’s just the stupid allergies. Ugh! If I go to the shore, no issues whatsoever. Heck, if I go upstate, no issues. I swear it is this SE portion of Pa.

pabassman

I've had my worst season in several years. I have ok days then bad days for the past month. We were on the Pack at night and the last two times out if you shined your light up you could see the pollen. Looked like a light mist coming down. Nothing seems to help.

A-5

I don’t use sunscreen ever. I don’t burn. I sneeze, I wake up usually like I have the flu but after a hour or so it usually goes away

truecrimson

If you have tried taking Zyrtec or the others daily for more than a week, plus a corticosteroid nasal spray and it has not worked then it is time to get an appointment with an allergist. They will test you for a bunch of common things and tailor a bunch of shots to target specifically what you are allergic to.

truecrimson

As for sun, I go from casper to lobster with nothing in between. So I use the long sleeve sun shirts, hat, gloves, face mask, even my fishing pants have an SPF or UPF rating. I hate suncreen. Thank God everybody and their dog makes sun protective clothing now. I remember when it was just Orvis and Simms and cost an arm and a leg.

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
If you have tried taking Zyrtec or the others daily for more than a week, plus a corticosteroid nasal spray and it has not worked then it is time to get an appointment with an allergist. They will test you for a bunch of common things and tailor a bunch of shots to target specifically what you are allergic to.
That seems to be the response on the other site also. Many have mentioned Flonase as well which I’ve never tried but conveniently, my wife had a fresh package in the medicine closet. I took that this morning and was impressed at how quickly it dried me up.

I’ll stay on a regimen of that and see what happens. If no good, allergist.

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
I don’t use sunscreen ever. I don’t burn. I sneeze, I wake up usually like I have the flu but after a hour or so it usually goes away
I don’t typically burn unless baking on a beach with oil on. Yeah, that one hurt when I was a teen. Lol So I guess the Italian in me likes the sun but I’ve been proactive as I don’t want to be one of those people that look like leather (plenty of them in my family) or worse, skin cancer.

truecrimson

That seems to be the response on the other site also. Many have mentioned Flonase as well which I’ve never tried but conveniently, my wife had a fresh package in the medicine closet. I took that this morning and was impressed at how quickly it dried me up.

I’ll stay on a regimen of that and see what happens. If no good, allergist.
Flonase is fluticasone. Nasacort is triamcinolone. Both are corticosteroids. Sometimes one will work better for some people than the other. It may not help with all symptoms though, such as itchy, watery eyes.

A-5

I don’t typically burn unless baking on a beach with oil on. Yeah, that one hurt when I was a teen. Lol So I guess the Italian in me likes the sun but I’ve been proactive as I don’t want to be one of those people that look like leather (plenty of them in my family) or worse, skin cancer.
Well I was waiting patiently for this.

A-5

My wife preached it to me for many years then this comes out. I’m blessed I don’t burn very easy. Blazon sun a Hat and glasses and let nature take its course.

truecrimson

lo, my profile pic says it all for me. That's how I roll. Of course I take it off when sun isn't out much. But as soon as my skin feels hot I put it all back on.

Don

Are you taking the Claritin therapeutically? I do so in CA and I think it is Palm allergens getting me. Rarely take anything at home but like PAB said it has been a bad year. I thought about taking it everyday for a few weeks.

MuskieGal

I have terrible year round allergies. I also found them to be a lot worse ever since I moved to the NE. I had allergy testing done and I found I'm highly allergic to mold, among many other things, which there is a lot of out here. I've tried everything under the sun and nothing completely helps. I've even had sinus surgery which only moderately cleared some of my sinus congestion up. I do take Alavert daily along with Flonase nasal spray and I take benedryl at night to help me sleep. They only mildly lessen the symptoms. I'm still searching for things that will help more as well. I do also occasionally use a steam inhaler which helps clear my sinuses out a bit, which in turn helps my allergies. If you don't have that you can boil a pot of water and drape a towel over your head and over the pot and breath in the steam. It's supposed to help clear the allergens out of your nose. I'll post a pic of what I use. Maybe give the navage thing a try as well?