Allergies

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
I have terrible year round allergies. I also found them to be a lot worse ever since I moved to the NE. I had allergy testing done and I found I'm highly allergic to mold, among many other things, which there is a lot of out here. I've tried everything under the sun and nothing completely helps. I've even had sinus surgery which only moderately cleared some of my sinus congestion up. I do take Alavert daily along with Flonase nasal spray and I take benedryl at night to help me sleep. They only mildly lessen the symptoms. I'm still searching for things that will help more as well. I do also occasionally use a steam inhaler which helps clear my sinuses out a bit, which in turn helps my allergies. If you don't have that you can boil a pot of water and drape a towel over your head and over the pot and breath in the steam. It's supposed to help clear the allergens out of your nose. I'll post a pic of what I use. Maybe give the navage thing a try as well?

I started with Flonase yesterday and I was amazed at how much better I could breathe when I went to bed last night. I took it again today and that lethargic feeling I fight daily, was gone. So I may have finally found something that might work…..for now. I’ve only been outside for an hour or so each day though, no long fishing days but I’m hoping to get a week of doses in me before I do.

Great advice on the steam. I do use a nettie pot at times, especially when my ears get blocked. It really seems to help pull the junk out of everywhere.

MuskieGal

I started with Flonase yesterday and I was amazed at how much better I could breathe when I went to bed last night. I took it again today and that lethargic feeling I fight daily, was gone. So I may have finally found something that might work…..for now. I’ve only been outside for an hour or so each day though, no long fishing days but I’m hoping to get a week of doses in me before I do.

Great advice on the steam. I do use a nettie pot at times, especially when my ears get blocked. It really seems to help pull the junk out of everywhere.
Nettie pots help for sure. I should use one more often. I have to switch up my allergies meds every couple months because my body gets used to it they dont work quite as well.

Last edited:

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
Nettie pots help for sure. I should use one more often. I have to switch up my allergies mess every couple months because my body gets used to it they do t work quite as well.
Yeah, I think I have that same issue. Some years, X works, the next year it doesn’t and I’m onto something new. Hopefully “this” year is solved. Ugh.

truecrimson

There's also the Nettie pot and a water pick attachment for sinus lavage. The water puck thing was given to me by an ENT about 25 years ago and is what broke my chronic sinus infections