Anyone fish the Allegheny reservoir?

Blackcat Outdoors

Looking for any and all advice. I'm headed up there from Monday to Thursday next week. I'll definitely be fishing out of the canoe, but might try to bring the yack along as well.

Don

I have not. Around the docks the Carp are friendly and follow you around. It is very big water. On top of that is is relatively cold water so be very careful and don't forget to report back. Solitario may have some experience there.

Blackcat Outdoors

I
I have not. Around the docks the Carp are friendly and follow you around. It is very big water. On top of that is is relatively cold water so be very careful and don't forget to report back. Solitario may have some experience there.
I'll definitely report back. I'm 50/50 on doing a YouTube video of the trip (it's a family trip). I'll just have to shotgun baits and see what I drag up.

Don

What bait would you use in a cold water lake? I'm thinking minnows and leeches instead of crawlers and mealies. What says everyone?

Solitario Lupo

I don’t really fish the lake since it’s a pretty big lake and gotta cover a lot of water. Be careful in the yak or canoe it can be choppy out there. Definitely watch for the crazies with the bigger boats. I would do a lot of trolling or drifting so you can come across something hungry.

Might find some nice trout still in the backwaters near the creeks mouths. If you see some boats piling together, probably where the walleye are.
I usually fish below kinzua. There’s just as many fish down there as in the lake and a little bit easier to get the bait in front of. It’s all shore fishing from a certain point on.

As for live bait it all works just depends on what you want bigger baits = bigger fish. For lures what you feel comfortable with and know works.

Don

Sol, Where ya been, I thought you went extinct. I wonder if the fish per water acre isn't even higher and better in the river below the dam. I've heard some very negative comments on fishing the lake. Seems to be good for Trophy fishing but can otherwise be disappointing. I never heard that about the river. I never fished either...just repeating what I've heard.

Solitario Lupo

I wonder if the fish per water acre isn't even higher and better in the river below the dam. I've heard some very negative comments on fishing the lake. Seems to be good for Trophy fishing but can otherwise be disappointing. I never heard that about the river. I never fished either...just repeating what I've heard.
They keep up with a lot of stockings below the dam. Plus those fish really never leave they just stick around below. Good air flow plus it stays colder all year round. All the baitfish coming out. It’s amazing how the trout stay there in schools. Guess since they can’t swim up anymore and blocks a lot of fish.

It’s a big lake if you really don’t know it and the holes it can be tough fishing. Pretty much like all Lakes. I’m sure you can get into some good bass fishing around the weed beds. Real nice trophy fish can come from either spots lake, river. Both can be great fishing at times. Then again a lot of water to cover in both areas so it can be hard.

Don

Hey Sol. You sound like Debbie Downer.....male version. I know disappointment and also a little bit about loss. I wish you the best and will be thinking about you. Hope you get the line wet soon.

Nappy

Might need a bigger boat black cat lol. Good luck on you journey.willow bay is a pretty good spot. Find some tribes coming in cool water big fish.

Reactions: Don

Blackcat Outdoors

I don’t really fish the lake since it’s a pretty big lake and gotta cover a lot of water. Be careful in the yak or canoe it can be choppy out there. Definitely watch for the crazies with the bigger boats. I would do a lot of trolling or drifting so you can come across something hungry.

Might find some nice trout still in the backwaters near the creeks mouths. If you see some boats piling together, probably where the walleye are.
I usually fish below kinzua. There’s just as many fish down there as in the lake and a little bit easier to get the bait in front of. It’s all shore fishing from a certain point on.

As for live bait it all works just depends on what you want bigger baits = bigger fish. For lures what you feel comfortable with and know works.
I'll probably take a minnow net and see what's native, I've got a uge! Assortment of plastics and swim baits, so I'll probably work some of them. Other than that, I'll probably end up bringing some" old standbys" too.

Reactions: Don