Anyone fish the Allegheny reservoir?

Blackcat Outdoors

I don't know if I'll make it all the way up to willow bay or not. We're staying at Dew Drop campsites for the majority of our time and that's pretty far south for a paddle, but you never know. Boats, I'm kinda stuck with what I got, but if there's that nice of fish I'll upgrade my tackle. 😁

Solitario Lupo

Could rent a boat if you wanted. As for the minnow net. I would take it and get some nice size creek chubs then go out. If you want that pike. Big lures or any big panfish will work. They’ll sit in the coves not very deep water.

Blackcat Outdoors

Thanks for all the advice. I'm headed out first thing in the am, so I guess we'll see how it goes by tomorrow night. I don't think I'll have any cell service up there (kinda what I want anyway 😁) so hopefully I'll have some good pics to post in a couple days.

Blackcat Outdoors

Well, I can't report a whole lot. Pretty much rained our entire time there. We got a couple hours of half decent weather, followed by a thunderstorm that we had to shelter from in the bathrooms at the marina, then 12 more hours of rain. Ended up coming home a day early, because the wife and daughter had enough.

I only caught a few small mouth that were nothing to brag about. No fish pics since I was getting rained on at the time. Really beautiful lake, I definitely want to go back to.

IMG_20210608_070219181_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210608_070212603_HDR.jpg
Early morning view from the boat launch.

IMG_20210607_201001838.jpg
My hammock setup. I campsites at Dewdrop campground were pretty nice actually, but I picked one that didn't have trees spaced very well for the hammock. Less than an ideal pitch, but I stayed dry. I'm really impressed with the tarp, didn't wet through at all in 2 days of substantial rain, even with the bunched up way I had to pitch it.

IMG_20210608_151042877.jpg
Best fish I saw the whole trip were the carp that follow you on the dock at the marina, waiting for handouts. We fed them, while we waited to hightail it to the bathrooms to wait out the impending thunderstorm.

Had fun camping and exploring the kinzua bridge on the way up. I have more pics of that than fishing, if anyone wants me to post them. Thanks again for the advice, hopefully I'll get back up there again with better weather.

Blackcat Outdoors

Here's the area from the visitors center. There's a several hundred foot section of the old viaduct that is used as an overlook. Pretty good views and you can see the wreckage of everything still laying at the bottom.
IMG_20210607_153008230_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210607_152953030.jpgIMG_20210607_153020288_HDR.jpgIMG_20210607_144734325_HDR.jpg

Blackcat Outdoors

IMG_20210607_153052531.jpg
Cool glass floor out on the end of the "Skywalk" too. Pretty neat look down. This really freaked the Mrs out, since she's afraid of heights. 😁

Blackcat Outdoors

IMG_20210607_153110826_HDR.jpg
I can't believe I got the Mrs to actually walk out on this. Between a healthy fear of heights and her various health issues, she was a trooper and only freaked out a little.. 🤣

Reactions: A-5

Blackcat Outdoors

IMG_20210607_151901742.jpg
Really cool little museum you can tour in the visitors center too. Gives all the history of the area and some info on the wildlife. I'm a history buff, so I found it interesting and the daughter liked the interactive exhibits.

Solitario Lupo

It’s a fun place to just visit. I don’t care for heights either so you won’t catch me out on that thing :) The old tornado path is still there but filling in pretty good.

Don

I still wish I had gone to visit it before it fell. . I saw the last of the old growth Hemlock in Ricketts Glen the year before they fell. Wish I had photos.
Looks like you and your family had a great and informative time in the area.