Back to Inline Spinners

Don

Saw some great action today on an old all-brass Mepps #5 that I rarely have used. TS is there a perfected larger size in your future. Who else was working on that....Sol, PA, Melvin?

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
Saw some great action today on an old all-brass Mepps #5 that I rarely have used. TS is there a perfected larger size in your future. Who else was working on that....Sol, PA, Melvin?

I have dabbled with larger sizes and they spin nicely but catching with them left alot to be desired this year. :(

Don

Ah Ha. So it may be that the reason I caught a salmon on the #5 may have been the fact that the fish was a recent Stockie.

Don

Well c'mon old man. They're touted as Musky and Northern food. Haha.

There doesn't appear to be any enthusiasm here for larger spinners so I'll stick to TS3's And the smaller mepp's.

Melvinp

Gold is great color for trout gold pretty much works with all fresh water fish not real sure on salt silver might be better.Now size never had great luck with large spinners #2&3 for bass but most of the time 0/1 for anything else

Reactions: Don

Solitario Lupo

Well c'mon old man. They're touted as Musky and Northern food. Haha.

There doesn't appear to be any enthusiasm here for larger spinners so I'll stick to TS3's And the smaller mepp's.
Lol. Ya I got some big ones around 10in they do work for them. Buck tail style works the best. It just seems certain times are better to use them. Swimbaits are what have been working great all year. Line thru trout in 10” or 12”.

Don

So Sol and Melly, If you were to remove the treble and replace them with single hooks which hook would you choose for a 1.2 and 3 size Aglia or Mepp's.
May I go first, size 2 offset: Steelhead, Salmon, common bait holder

shopping.jpegshopping.png41VOtWETEZL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

Solitario Lupo

I really never tried it so I guess you’ll have to play around with it. But I do think a hook with a straight eye is better. I would go size 6 and try every thing in between to size 2 hooks.

Offset eyes might make it swim funny cause the hook movement and angle it will sit at. Just a thought
Your also going to add a split ring? So the smaller the hook might not swing around and catch your blades or wire. Another thought.

Don

Snagless Sallies look great for Gouldsboro.
But for the Spoons I get what you're saying. It could get long if a shorter hook is not used. I guess I'll have to try it this weekend. I'll try to match the weight of the hooks being removed with the new hooks. .

Don

This hook is similar to a drop shot hook and is intended for steelhead. I don't think offset would matter on a spinner but on a spoon it might make it spin (bad)...It may be nice to dress the hooks.

shopping.jpeg

Don

Sallie uses the one with the two nylon guards. I would think they have done the testing….or at least hope.
I would think so. I’ve used the type with the bail and it comes open quite often. I saw those VMC hooks at Dicks and Cabelas. Thanks.