Backpacking

HenryDavid

I fish a lot of times along the way, but curious to see if there's any other backpackers on here (now or in the future).

I've got 2 pa trips planned for fall so far and might do a couple more before the dead of winter.
I did a fair amount when I was younger, including a week long trek up the Adirondacks. Unfortunately at that time (1980) all the higher mountain lakes were dead due to acid rain, the streams however were full of natives. More recently I've been on multi-day hikes in and around Loyalsock State Forest, lots of native brookie streams there as well. I've done some crazy stuff in the past, I think just scaling the ravines along the Lehigh Gorge was challenging enough. I think I have some Mountain Goat in my gene pool.

truecrimson

I did a lot of camping when I was younger but never backpacking.

I still want to get into kayak camping.

But I can't imagine me backpacking unless it was to get to water that you couldn't get to any other way. And then I'd be thinking of ways to drag in a yak.

Solitario Lupo

Is this backpacking and camping overnight. Or just going for some long hikes.

Used to do that when I was a kid not so much now.

Now if I have a backpack on it’s mostly full of fishing gear. If I go for hikes it’s just water and snacks for the day.

Blackcat Outdoors

Is this backpacking and camping overnight. Or just going for some long hikes.

Used to do that when I was a kid not so much now.

Now if I have a backpack on it’s mostly full of fishing gear. If I go for hikes it’s just water and snacks for the day.
Camping overnight/multiple nights.

Blackcat Outdoors

I did a lot of camping when I was younger but never backpacking.

I still want to get into kayak camping.

But I can't imagine me backpacking unless it was to get to water that you couldn't get to any other way. And then I'd be thinking of ways to drag in a yak.
You need to take a couple days off first. At this point, it might be a hike on the ice covering the river, by the time you can get out. 🤣

Blackcat Outdoors

IMG_20221003_140542276.jpg

This might interest some of you, even if you don't backpack. Especially if you fish/hunt/travel in lots of remote areas. I picked up this satellite communicator/emergency beacon for $200. Service starts at $20 a month and can be suspended when you aren't using it while keeping your account for $5 a month. It allows you to text message loved ones and give them tracking data on where you are without needing a cell signal. It also features an sos button that transmits your exact location to rescue if you hit it and need help.

Seemed like a decent deal to me for a little extra piece of mind for the Mrs when I'm off grid basically for 80% or more of my backpacking and fishing trips around here.