Backpacking

Don

Has anyone been back to Bruce Lake lately. Last time for me was 1978. I caught a 21" Pickerel (first ever) and My cousin a 21 inch Bass. Then I caught my first perch ever. We ate well as it snowed lightly. It was early December. Soon after the lake became a victim of Acid rain and from what I've heard it is recovered now. Perfect Blackcat country.

HenryDavid

Has anyone been back to Bruce Lake lately. Last time for me was 1978. I caught a 21" Pickerel (first ever) and My cousin a 21 inch Bass. Then I caught my first perch ever. We ate well as it snowed lightly. It was early December. Soon after the lake became a victim of Acid rain and from what I've heard it is recovered now. Perfect Blackcat country.
I've done a few trips back to Bruce Lake, very good panfish, perch and good sized bass, this was probably 8-10 years ago. I'm game to go back again, it would an interesting ice fishing trip.

Don

If I understand there is no more overnighting back at lake. My legs are on strike. MB3 and Sheila live very near. Then there is BlackCat (Happy the Hiker). Lastly Bassmans Boy. What does he call himself?

HenryDavid

If I understand there is no more overnighting back at lake. My legs are on strike. MB3 and Sheila live very near. Then there is BlackCat (Happy the Hiker). Lastly Bassmans Boy. What does he call himself?
Egypt Meadow is a very short walk in

HenryDavid

Where? Just from the Bruce Lake trail? Or is there an even closer spot to park? Would I need waders to get to the water through the blueberry shrubs.
The upper trail head is the shortest hike in. Bruce Lake Trail is further down from the interstate exit. It's been awhile since I've been back there but I fished from shore all of the time, there was some muddy spots, it probably depends upon recent rainfall. I recall only a few spots that were clear enough to fish from shore, one was a big rock not far off the trail, the other was further down the trail at pretty much the northerly end of the lake. I suppose you know it was drained about 10 years back.

HenryDavid

I would be game to try sometime. Might have to wait for longer days at this point, unless you can overnight there.
I don't know that you can camp overnight back in there. Bruce Lake area specifically is a "Natural Area". It's Delaware State Forest but there's special regulations on the area. I've come out at night a few times, the main trails are fairly easy to follow.