Baitcasters

Don

While I have both the swimmer and the molder at hand let me explain my thoughts:
- I would expect that the plastics should not get wet as a group. I would think bad things would happen. So I plant to keep them all in their original bags and place those in a zip lock freezer bag. It has worked so far.
- all attendant jig heads, weights and swivels and specialized hooks are a bit more water resistant. So I don’t feel like I need the waterproof for that. Waterproofness can work bot ways in that if something is put away wet into a water proof box this will also lead to issues.

Sound about right?
Still think I should skip using the Ambassador?

truecrimson

Yes.

I open the waterproof boxes and let them air dry after trips if I see any sign of moisture inside. It can happen just from changing lures. Put a wet one away and you've got drops of water in your box. If I didn't open the box or don't see any sign of moisture I usually don't bother.

When I was wet wading I would get up to my chest sometimes or even up to my chin crossing a deep pool. So all of my gear would be submerged at times. That was different and took a lot more drying. The waterproof boxes kept things from getting totally swamped.

In the kayak I am big enough that there is never a dry ride. There is always water sloshing in and out of the tank well and/or the cockpit. The elevated seats keep my butt out of it, but gear tends to get wet.

Don

Yeah I throw any cut off lure or fly onto the benches in the mayflower to dry but I miss some.

Don

It is a red ambassador 7000. I guess that is good.
Figured it out. I’m going to use 15-17 Mono on this reel this year as I get to know it. Then in time I’ll put 65lb braid o to it with floro leader. That will be good for setting the hook and dragging rocks.

Attachments

• 88E9E2AF-F0AA-43E7-8350-2D95FF68E9BE.jpeg
    88E9E2AF-F0AA-43E7-8350-2D95FF68E9BE.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1

Don

Here is a question for the pro’s. I’m under the impression that one should always use a leader that is lighter than the main line so that the leader breaks instead of the main line. I know it works dependably like that with flyline tippet but not sure with if it works that way with all types of line.
I think we covered this some time ago but let’s cover it again: if there is no leader on a line and you break off where does it break off, tip, middle, where.

A-5

My experience is monk has stretch. Fluro does not. So I can get away with 12lb mani to 12 lb fluro. But some line is better than some others. I would test the line

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
Any time I break off, regardless of line type, it is usually towards the end of where the lure or hook is stuck. When I use a leader, it is the same thing, it breaks in the leader area, not the main line area.

As for leader weight. You’re trying to make your presentation stealth from your main line which is almost always going to be of lesser line weight. There are times I go in reverse with heavier leader than the main line in saltwater for toothy fish as I am looking for abrasion resistance while remaining stealth. In this case, when the line breaks, it is typically at the main line to leader knot but it can also be anywhere along the line that some damn bluefish decided to toy with me. Lol

Solitario Lupo

Your leader should always be lighter than main line so it breaks at the leader. There are certain times you can run heavier. Like TS mention.

For just straight line it will snap at the weakest point in the line. I had funny things like line getting caught in guides and snap with 10 feet of line out. Or it just a weak point and didn’t know so playing the fish line goes out snap when it comes to a weak point. All straight test lb line can also get cut on rocks get weak from logs etc. I had fish swim under tree branches and swim out with the line still on the branch some snap off with a bunch of line or I gotta pull them in unhook and then cut all the line that has rub marks.

pabassman

Here is a question for the pro’s. I’m under the impression that one should always use a leader that is lighter than the main line so that the leader breaks instead of the main line. I know it works dependably like that with flyline tippet but not sure with if it works that way with all types of line.
I think we covered this some time ago but let’s cover it again: if there is no leader on a line and you break off where does it break off, tip, middle, where.
Line breaks at the weakest point. Thats usually at a knot. Now there are exceptions. One place is if you get a Professional Overrun on a baitcaster. Not often but at times I guess the line digs into itself and gets damaged. Not easy to see or detect but I have sent an occasional spinnerbait a hundred yards up the bank with the line broken close to the reel lol.

Don

I’ve been enjoying casting the Royal Legend. It is predictable and fun. Glad I have two as there is always a snarl here and there. I also like the Ambassador for deep water. Casts well and is heavy duty.

Don

Yesterday at Mauch Chunk was my third day out with the two bait casters. They are a blast. I noticed more difficulty in avoiding a snarl with the lighter offerings. On the other hand with the 1/2 or 3/4 jigs with trailers I can wing them forever and have no tangling. I hear that practice makes perfect but in this case I think 6 lb test would help as well for baits under 3/8oz.
Customer service was really poor on the baits. While actively fishing yesterday I texted the Sellersville and Gilbertsville Hotline for tips and all I got was YouTube videos. THEY WERE GREAT! Thank you. I'll be watching them over and over as I practice what they're preaching. I have virtually everything they cover. Its a matter of how and when to use them and these videos cover that.
I was surprised how many times average pickerel followed the bait to the boat but they wouldn't bite until I got rid of the skirted jig and used only the 4"shad. It was over cast but I continued wearing Polaroids and at on point a very large fish followed it and I was hoping he would take it. He came right at me, All I saw was the head and he saw me an backed straight up...never saw the body. Pretty sure it was a 15 - 16" Bass but is may have been a large sized pickerel. I have seen people catch some Whompers in there.
Hey Grem what is the big clearcut all about up on top of Flagstaff Road? Is someone installing a golf course?

Don

I often do that but most. Not all. But most pickerel can only count to three Figure three that is.
Pickerel are so funny. Theyre like three year olds trying to be tough guys. When u get them to the boat they do follow the lure back and forth but I’ve not gotten one to bite yet. Yesterday the problem was that the water was very clear. Probably 8’ or more. It’s hard to hide from them when it is that clear. I also believe that is why I didn’t hook more. Too much “Gin Clear” water and they would see me a long way off.

Last edited:

Solitario Lupo

There’s other ways to get them to bite but figuring them out is all up to you. Another something is to pause your lures when reeling in.

Reactions: Don

Gremcat

I do not know anything about that reel but be careful what you wish for! Lol

I started with one a couple of years ago and now I rarely use a spin reel. Actually, I’m shopping for my next one as I write this. It doesn’t look like the one I want is available until October though because I reel left handed which has become outdated because you can’t look cool if you’re not switching hands with a baitcaster….which boggles my mind when I see those switchers use a spin reel and reel left handed.
Tough being built backwards. I’m not but my 10 yo is. Makes me realize how biased we are to RH. Easy to design work cells for RH average until you have a LH kid. Def causes me to see the challenges. Right eye dominance might make hunting easier but I’ve not tested him yet. I just buy agnostic guns for the moment. Spinning reels are t bad switching sides quick but I don’t know how that plays out with baitcasters. Quit being backwards, make it easy on yourself.

Reactions: A-5

Gremcat

I'm rebuilding a few old 50's Mitchell 300's and 304. I was thinking display but now I believe I will fish them as well. Ill use them for topwater...rapala and so forth. Wish I had the flared in the evening at Shahola. Clouser would have been a killer.
I run a 53-54 pre-64 model 70 first year .308 and beat the bluing off every hunt. Collections are made for paintings by weird Italian guys. Tools are meant to be used until no longer usable then tossed or rebuilt.