Baitcasters

Don

I just got a free bait caster reel and I don't really know anything about them except that I like them. It is a silstar and appears like it it works fine though appears to be entry level in quality. Would I be wasting my time to put line on this and learn how to cast a baitcaster? I mean its not like getting married again right? Pictures below:

Attachments

• IMG_1510.JPG
    IMG_1510.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1511.JPG
    IMG_1511.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1512.JPG
    IMG_1512.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1514.JPG
    IMG_1514.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 6

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
I do not know anything about that reel but be careful what you wish for! Lol

I started with one a couple of years ago and now I rarely use a spin reel. Actually, I’m shopping for my next one as I write this. It doesn’t look like the one I want is available until October though because I reel left handed which has become outdated because you can’t look cool if you’re not switching hands with a baitcaster….which boggles my mind when I see those switchers use a spin reel and reel left handed.

Don

Since my right hand operation to remove the trapezium I was forced to use the left for everything and now I'm ambidextrous. And I never saw that coming.
I think I'm 50 years older than you all and I have to say that I'm back to spincast reels and loving it for the first time in 50 yrs (49 actually). With Spincast the change is fast you bring it in and boom right back out... something I do also when fly fishing but its all one hand with spincast, and accurate. I think bait casting with the new Magnetic reels is essentially spin casting on steroids. I'm happy with the retrieval speed of the old spincast but I couldn't, even if I tried, keep a whomperstomperblaster swimming. Most of the newer spinning type stuff you folks chuck at bass seems to need the higher speed offered by the bait casters. So this seems a natural progression to me.

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
Since my right hand operation to remove the trapezium I was forced to use the left for everything and now I'm ambidextrous. And I never saw that coming.
I think I'm 50 years older than you all and I have to say that I'm back to spincast reels and loving it for the first time in 50 yrs (49 actually). With Spincast the change is fast you bring it in and boom right back out... something I do also when fly fishing but its all one hand with spincast, and accurate. I think bait casting with the new Magnetic reels is essentially spin casting on steroids. I'm happy with the retrieval speed of the old spincast but I couldn't, even if I tried, keep a whomperstomperblaster swimming. Most of the newer spinning type stuff you folks chuck at bass seems to need the higher speed offered by the bait casters. So this seems a natural progression to me.

The gear ratios are a little misleading IMO. My one Baitcasting reel is a 7.4:1 ratio and reels in 31" of line per crank. Compare that to a 3000 series spinning reel from the same manufacturer that I have and the ratio is 6.0:1 but reels in 35" per crank. I get it, handle size will dictate ratio but a crank is a crank to me.

I do prefer high speed reels though. I can always reel slower but I can't reel faster and keep a presentation looking as natural.

Solitario Lupo

I had to switch to a baitcaster for a larger setup. At first I didn’t think I would care for it but I really like it. Just gotta keep your thumb on the spool so you can stop it fast on a bad throw or your going to get a bad birds nest. Plus I really had to practice changing the speed of the lures.

This one looks more close in with the spool so good luck aim high with the baits.

Reactions: Don

Don

I would like something around 5-5 1/2 ratio for plastics. I find it to easy to go way too fast. My spinning reels are around that 5- 5-1/2 and spin casters are 3.4 to 4 perfect for beetle spin.
so what I’m going to do is I have some 12lb Big Game mono that I don’t care for. It was cheap. I’ll load it and go play.

Don

I had to switch to a baitcaster for a larger setup. At first I didn’t think I would care for it but I really like it. Just gotta keep your thumb on the spool so you can stop it fast on a bad throw or your going to get a bad birds nest. Plus I really had to practice changing the speed of the lures.

This one looks more close in with the spool so good luck aim high with the baits.
Sol why did you “have to”?

Solitario Lupo

It’s a larger setup and can handle throwing those big Muskie lures.
Instead of spinning gear it takes a little more out of you. Plus the advantage of throwing the lure further with baitcaster.

Reactions: Don

Don

I don't doubt that but I do have a bunch of Johnson Spincast that I use for that. Never hurts to have more though.

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
Could you folk make some suggestions a name some brands?

I have to agree with A5, you just can’t beat an SLX reel for the performance / price. However! ;) I started with a Lews Rod / Reel Combo and a couple friends went with Abu Rod/Reel combos, all were roughly $70.

2 of us have moved onto the SLX or higher and the third will be. So just know that if you do get into it, you will probably want to replace it and that combo might not see daylight after that???

FWIW, use a 7’ rod to begin. It may seem long for some but the performance difference from compared to say a 6’ rod is much better IMO.

Don

Well I have bad news, moment of silence please, the Silstar that I told you I got for free.....its stripped out. Forget that for now. I will wait for a good sale on a quality reel and will likely make a rod. For now I put the appropriate spincast reel on it and its good to go, 6' and casts 75' underhand or over. 10lb XL. This should handle anywhere I fish except if fishing for musky striper and wiper.

Don

I'm rebuilding a few old 50's Mitchell 300's and 304. I was thinking display but now I believe I will fish them as well. Ill use them for topwater...rapala and so forth. Wish I had the flared in the evening at Shahola. Clouser would have been a killer.