Baitcasters

Gremcat

I know about 0 in regards to Baitcasters. Is there an advantage using them for managing heavy lines on salmon? I see some use them and I’ve had some challenges casting heavy spinning rods without tangling.

Don

Interesting question. I had been shamed out of using spinsters as a yougin. I didn't know there were some reel quality ones out there and that they continued to be popular until today in certain localities. They cast level very well where as the spinning reels tend to cast in an arch. I see the baitcaster as being great rig for this level or skip casting style. I watched a Kid in Lehigh Canal tearing it up with bass, trout and panfish with a bait caster. In under the branches he'd skip all kind of ugly lure and he caught allot. I snagged trees there allot.

Solitario Lupo

It all depends on how you fish for them. If trolling a baitcaster works but if casting I wouldn’t recommend it. Baitcaster you can’t really throw out small baits unless you have some good weight on it. As for heavy lines any reels should be rated to hold the line.

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
I know about 0 in regards to Baitcasters. Is there an advantage using them for managing heavy lines on salmon? I see some use them and I’ve had some challenges casting heavy spinning rods without tangling.

I consider myself "all-in" when it comes to baitcasters but if I find myself making the trip up to Pulaski in the next couple of weeks, spinning it will be. Not that it couldn't be done but it would kind of like be using a screwdriver handle as a hammer.

truecrimson

With spinning gear I always find a long rod to be a pain the ass. They always seem to be in the way, unusable around foliage, and difficult when seated in the yak. They also always seem to be the cause of or at least part of some kind of problem.

Are long casting rods different than long spinning rods? Why?

Does anyone make a decent quality casting rod in the 4'6" to 5'6" range that would pair well with one of the above reels?

A little preliminary research turns up Zebco, Shakespeare, and my beloved Daiwa Minicast as the < 6' options. Seems like a bad idea to put a $100+ reel on a potentially less than $15 rod. Even the $40-$50 Minicast seems like not the best option.

Don

Buy all three and let us know. I've been having a blast with the Spincast on 6.5 and 7 foot rods and I can say they are testy when not standing. They do cast better. I'll be taking TS's advice and will stick with 7 or 7.5' with any baitcaster I may buy. I'm hoping before too long I'll have one.

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy

The plain SLX is simply just "that" model.

The SLX MGL is equipped with their Maglite Spool. It is a lighter spool that will let you use lighter line. You'll hear the word "Finesse" used often when it comes to Baitcasting Reels. In a nutshell, guys want to be able to throw lighter weights without having to move over to a spin rod, the lighter spools starts up quickly and helps with distance and backlashing but those spools are also shallow, not allowing as much line. I would not let that part sway you though, you can still get plenty of line on it.

The SLX DC is their Digitally Controlled reel. Rather than having to adjust brakes, you simply set the reel to 1 thru 4, depending on the line you spool it with and forget it. You only have to adjust the tension at that point based on your lure weight. I have two DC style reels and I really like them but don't get the impression that you "need" a DC reel as a learning curve because you do not.

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
With spinning gear I always find a long rod to be a pain the ass. They always seem to be in the way, unusable around foliage, and difficult when seated in the yak. They also always seem to be the cause of or at least part of some kind of problem.

Are long casting rods different than long spinning rods? Why?

Does anyone make a decent quality casting rod in the 4'6" to 5'6" range that would pair well with one of the above reels?

A little preliminary research turns up Zebco, Shakespeare, and my beloved Daiwa Minicast as the < 6' options. Seems like a bad idea to put a $100+ reel on a potentially less than $15 rod. Even the $40-$50 Minicast seems like not the best option.

Understood about the shorter length being desired but length for length, casting rods really benefit from overall length. A friend was using a 6' or so last time he was out with me and my 7' outcast his at least by 25%. It made a big difference because where we were positioned, I did just fine to get into the strike zone whereas he could not reach it. While I did pull in closer for him, I believed that chased them out of the spot and we did not get another bite after.

Don

TS, If I may ask, did you use long rods back in the last ice age when you Kayaked? I like the extra length but I could never keep things straight the few times I kayaked. If I'm not mistaking that is what TC may have been alluding to.

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
TS, If I may ask, did you use long rods back in the last ice age when you Kayaked? I like the extra length but I could never keep things straight the few times I kayaked. If I'm not mistaking that is what TC may have been alluding to.
Lol, ice age. Yes on the long rods. When I got into kayak fishing, I immediately gravitated to saltwater fishing and 7’ rods became the new norm.

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
By the way do you folks usually sidecast or overhead cast?
Bait, typically a side cast unless I am bombing something, then more of an overhead to the side cast. Spinning, always an underhand flip cast unless of course, I’m bombing something like a popper or striper or blues.

Don

Bombing, eh?
What is flipping? I hear that term all the time. is that a side cast while crossing the body. Since I switched back to Spincast I now realize why it took so long for Spinning reels to knock them out. With the normal 5 1/2 -6' rod I can crank in and reset instantly and with only one hand and from almost any angle. I'm pretty sure that the the bait caster is the same but with better performance.