Baitcasting Rigs

Don

I noticed that a whole lotta fishermen cast with the right hand and then hold their hands around their reels with their left hand like they were scared of dropping it. Then they’d quickly grab the crank with their right hand and then they’re back on track. I used to think that the folks doing it were un-disciplined loosers but then I realized that most of the pros do this as well. It is indeed nice to hold the reel closer to the ballance point in the left hand but I’d like to hear you all discuss this with authority but I hope there will not be a video war.

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
Most likely you’re noticing that type of change because the angler is trying to get distance on their cast. This is how I hold my reel when I am reeling or flipping but if I am trying to get distance, all of my fingers are on the rod with my index finger wrapped around the trigger portion.

DF6FF9B9-6CEF-49AF-9E11-2CBA87CA3B56.jpeg

I don’t think there is right way or wrong way, it’s just up to your comfort zone and decreasing fatigue. Now if you mentioned switching hands ….. grrrr lol …. pet peeve of mine.

Blackcat Outdoors

I tried a baitcasting setup last year again. I really wanted to like it, I just don't. I didn't like the switching hands thing and that might have been part of it. The problem is that's how the majority of the budget options come. I think I'm just to set in my ways at this point.

I just got 2 more spinning rigs setup for spring, so that's what I'm rocking for everything again. If anyone wants a lews baitcasting combo for cheap, hit me up. 😁

truecrimson

I bought all of mine left handed so I don't have to switch hands. Same 'manual of arms' as the spinning gear.

I am too new to bait casting to have developed an opinion on the hold but I think TS has it right. Hand on the reel for more control at shorter distances and when reeling. Hand or even two on the rod when trying to knock it out of the park.

Solitario Lupo

Right hand grips the rod with thumb on spool of reel. Left hand sometimes help with gripping the rod on casts. Or just used to crank the reel. I don’t palm the reel or switch hands.