Battery

Solitario Lupo

So it's been a year since I used the boat and didn't think about the battery. Right now the voltage is at 5v. So what would be the best way to charge. I'm guessing trickle charge it.

Reactions: Don

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
A good charger should be able to revive it. Not sure that a trickle charger will have the juice enough to get it going. Nonetheless, worth a try. Do make sure your water levels are good in the battery.

Reactions: Don

Melvinp

I assume your talking deep cycle sometimes it does take a little bit of a kick start to get them going but when your above 6v a trickle charge will be fine deep cycles are meant to be drawn down and recharged it actually harder on them if you constantly recharge without running them down

Solitario Lupo

Having problems with it. First did it then checked it was at 9v. Then for some reason I put it back on the charger it went to 7v. Put it back on it only went to 9v. The battery charger is brand new so. I’m kinda stumped right now.

As for water levels are they supposed to be full, to the top.

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
Having problems with it. First did it then checked it was at 9v. Then for some reason I put it back on the charger it went to 7v. Put it back on it only went to 9v. The battery charger is brand new so. I’m kinda stumped right now.

Not to the top, just enough so that it covers the plates inside. The battery may have a fill line on it if it's white or clear-ish. You'll also want to use distilled water, not tap water. When you fill it, be careful, if you spill any on yourself, it won't bother you at first but a few minutes later, you'll feel the acid burn. Can't imagine what it would do to your eyes so wear some glasses too!

Melvinp

Just over the lead core but not completely full need room to expand when temp raises this might sound silly but try running it dead something like a spot light works well kinda hard on trolling motor if it’s doesn’t pick up after that save your pennies and never let them freeze. Any more you really shouldn’t have to add water to any newer battery you can actually dilute the acid if you have a cell that’s low it probably on its way out

Melvinp

No matter what you do deep cycles seem to have a pretty short life span I like Interstate battery’s but even they have gotten cheap

Solitario Lupo

Just over the lead core but not completely full need room to expand when temp raises this might sound silly but try running it dead something like a spot light works well kinda hard on trolling motor if it’s doesn’t pick up after that save your pennies and never let them freeze. Any more you really shouldn’t have to add water to any newer battery you can actually dilute the acid if you have a cell that’s low it probably on its way out
Everything and the boat is kept in the garage. So freezing isn’t a problem. I think it’s done it’s like 8 years on. 😢

Solitario Lupo

I played around with it a couple days. Then forgot about it lol. Since you reminded me I'll fill it tomorrow and give it another go. I'm thinking it's done tho.

Solitario Lupo

Looking for a new battery. What’s your guys advice on a new one. Looking just to power a fish finder and trolling motor. The last one was big and heavy so looking for a smaller lighter one.

I see interstate and deka already suggested.

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
Looking for a new battery. What’s your guys advice on a new one. Looking just to power a fish finder and trolling motor. The last one was big and heavy so looking for a smaller lighter one.

I see interstate and deka already suggested.
I see the Walmart Battery and the Duracell Battery at Costco often suggested in the trolling motor group I belong to on FB. I've never given it much thought as Interstate is down the street from me. Anytime I've needed a battery in the last 20 years, for anything, I've just gone there with good success.

Any acid or AGM battery is going to be heavy, it's just the tech it is if you will. The bigger and heavier however is going to give you longer use so be careful with your size choice. I went with Lithium on my boat, the weight and power is impressive but so was the cost. :(

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
Who makes the lithium battery. Was it interstate? Don't have a boat just curious.

I used Amped Outdoors for my Trolling Motor Batteries and Dakota Outdoors for the Fish Finder Battery.

I had the Dakota from my prior boat, just a small-ish 23AH battery but great for running 2 finders all day long. Amped Outdoors was the bang for the buck when it came to Lithium.