Beetle Spins

Don

Is anyone using Beetle Spins and are you using the baits that come with or are you putting you own versions onto the jig?

HenryDavid

You can buy the "V" section and blade separately and put any jig you want on it. I used to use them for panfish under a small float, let it sink then reel in, pause, etc. The micro twister tails worked well, you can tip them with whatever you like, getting it in the zone is the important part. The same rig with just a small jig and plastic is also deadly.
23.jpg

Don

You can buy the "V" section and blade separately and put any jig you want on it. I used to use them for panfish under a small float, let it sink then reel in, pause, etc. The micro twister tails worked well, you can tip them with whatever you like, getting it in the zone is the important part. The same rig with just a small jig and plastic is also deadly.
View attachment 4729
They come in 4 sizes. I was jigging over the side at Mauch Chunk and did well for suspended Gills. I’ll try your suggestion but for all the trying in many sizes and jig styles I’ve still never caught anything on twister tails. I don’t get it. They look great.

Don

View attachment 4729If you recall what are you favorite weights(sizes) as they come in 1/32-1/4.

truecrimson

View attachment 4729
Yeah this is what I've used. Never bought one that came with the jig and the plastic. At one point t I was putting them on Horseheads jigs that had a built in spinner below the jig.

Caught enough not to throw them out but not enough to use them more or buy more. Like a lot of things I hear they work great for other people.

Reactions: Don

Don

sounds about right. Although I've done well with medium bass and might consider the 1/4 by mid-summer.

MB3

We use them. I use the factory plastic but I change them out for small paddle tails or curly tail. Panfish destroy them.

MB3

What is your usual weight?
Not sure but for Panfish I go the smallest they have or a size up. 1/16? We found tiny plastics we swap out. We use larger versions for bass and Pickerel and definitely swap to 3" curly tail grubs. The Pickerel tend not to bite these off. They get bit by everything that bites for the most part.

Don

Not sure but for Panfish I go the smallest they have or a size up. 1/16? We found tiny plastics we swap out. We use larger versions for bass and Pickerel and definitely swap to 3" curly tail grubs. The Pickerel tend not to bite these off. They get bit by everything that bites for the most part.
I plan to explore these. Or perhaps I mean explore with them more this year. I have so much trouble finding crappie on a consistent basis at Gouldsboro. If you look at a depth chart you’ll se it is almost the same depth everywhere. It is my opinion that these fish are on the move most of the time. There isn’t any “deep hideaways” nor places to suspend. There are plenty there but they, I beleive, scatter more. I think spinners and various spinnerbaits will find them faster than jigs. 1/16 or 1/8 is what I thought. Tipped with white/red dot or 2” Kieteck shiner.

MB3

At Shohola they definitely group up in areas. We have 1 main area we always find them in, same with Prompton.

Reactions: Don

Don

Okay. Another month hath passed since this thread began and I’m now done collecting jigs and rigs for panfish. It may be 4-5 weeks yet but I’m ready. Yesterday I purchased an array of tiny underspin jigs from 1/32-1/8 oz.
If tipped right and kept moving it is my hope that anything hungry will take these in cold water. A1279F53-527B-4943-99B9-9248E0F663E3.jpeg
3C951EC4-CBD9-41FB-906F-BE6DCE2E1BA2.jpeg