Big fish got me

Gremcat

Fishing Lehigh tonight, bottom of a massive hole near cold feeder. Thought maybe I’d get a few trout. Hooked a small rainbow, few smallies, added a slinky sinker to hold it deep in the fast. Fish hit my tiny wire hook and minnow setup. About 5 mins of Salmon like behavior. Wouldn’t budge, my brother thought it should be pulling drag so it must be stuck. I pulled a little and nope drag was fine. It took the added line though and sat again. Broke my line even with no pressure. I had a snag the cast before and with 6 lbs main and 4 lbs blue Seaguar I just couldn’t pop the line. I had to really wrap and haul then the hook actually pulled free. It was all but dark so I did a quick visual, every prior fish or snag I checked my leader because I pretie and on these few I had felt a nick I wanted to cut and retye but was on a call so had to clean up fast. I’ve been checking every leader now to find it. Anyway back to my story. I didn’t check after the hard snag like a dummy. It either caught on a rock or hit a nicked spot in leader. I re-rigged using a #6 wire hook instead of a 14-16 wire. Immediately another fish, easily landed a 14” catfish. Looked like a channel cat in the fading light. I knew the fish before felt familiar but it’s been a while. Channels around Raleigh were all I chased a few years. I’ve caught 5-8 lbers. This one was entirely different then those. Not as ornery as a massive blue cat though.

Guessing easily over 10 lbs. probably more in the 15-18lbs range judging by the inability to budge him an inch. I won’t speculate bigger because beyond that size until he gave me something there’s just no way to know.

First PA catfish, coincidentally my brother’s Co-Worker just told him he fishes right at our place for them. I’ve never seen or caught one at the Glen but don’t fish the big dead section or bottom much.

Gremcat

If my brother didn’t have to go check out a job site at 5am I’d still be there. Bucket of minnows and catfish seemingly every cast. Oh well, fun for a bit anyway.

Solitario Lupo

That's what it sounds like a nice big old cat. When going for bigger fish you should always check your gear first. Lost a lot of big fish by putting on a split shot to tight. Learned my lesson. At least you found a good spot go there and get them.

Gremcat

I’d forgotten some catfish are fun to catch. I like active catfish vs. sitting on the bottom waiting. Probably have a few bells left here from NC and a few rod holders though. Might be a fun late night trip or two in my future.

Don

We should probably have your story verified. Please send accurate coordinates and I'll have my crew substantiate your claim.

Reactions: A-5

Don

Thats the Pinacle over-looking Hawk Mt. Theres no fish there!
When I used to fish for Channels on the Delaware I rarely caught one larger than 2 lbs. But every year someone would Catch a lunker in the teens. Must be what you hooked into.

Gremcat

Not a pinnacle, that’s the trail to Split Rock. I tried buying that house at the top as a hunting camp/ second rental. Sold private party way too cheap. Three years back now I think. $230k with 25 acres bordering state park. That trail if you can call it that overlooks some of the best Lehigh trout spots. Fish 8–10 lbs from there the past year.

Reactions: Don

Gremcat

And if you go up stream “until you almost can’t go anymore” that’s where I was when I hit catfish. Might get back after them. Getting busy and things to wrap up before fall.

Gremcat

Should add Ive pics of those trout, I’ve not hit one yet over 5 lbs. My neighbor has an area named after him and fishes almost daily. He got an 8-9 lbs brownie last spring and a 12 lbs rainbow the season or two before to mention a few. My best length wise from there is 24” range.