Blue Marsh

Don

TS, Don't forget your fledgeling colleagues, Mr. Truecrimson, Monica and I will be demonstraighting fish slaying techniques at Blue marsh in a couple of weeks and we were counting on your for coordinates or even accompaniment in those waters. If your scared that all the other members will sneak in and steal all your fish I can understand. You could PM Me instead. But I think your secrets are safe with us.

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
Let me know the date you plan to go please. Since we are a small group, I’ll post some info in this thread, no need to PM just in case others want to join in.

I have a somewhat busy weekend schedule the next few weeks so I am hoping stars align.

I will say that I was there yesterday and things have changed a little. They dropped the lake 10’ in preparation of Ida. It then rose 20’ and then they allowed it to drain 10’ to get back to normal summer pool. 290’ if you’re curious. This left me searching and searching yesterday for bass as they were not where I left them before Ida.

I did however find a nice school of whipers in their old normal location so that was good to see and I’ll show that on a map when I get into it. They are really fun to catch and fish similar to crappie.

Don

That sucks bu it is nice that they were able to do that. I wish they'd drop gouldsboro every fall 3' to control weeds. TC has a busier schedule than I and he will chime in. The weekend of the 25th is taken as is this weekend. I don't mind weekdays and I don't mind the warmer parts of October.

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
That sucks bu it is nice that they were able to do that. I wish they'd drop gouldsboro every fall 3' to control weeds. TC has a busier schedule than I and he will chime in. The weekend of the 25th is taken as is this weekend. I don't mind weekdays and I don't mind the warmer parts of October.

I do prefer weekdays as well and I have more flexibility. Weekends are usually family oriented duties and then during the week I say work can wait! LOL. Seriously though, my work weeks are always flexible, I am very efficient at what I do and it affords me time to play.

truecrimson

I have the 15th, 24th, 29th, and 30th open currently in September. I am also not averse to hitting Blue Marsh on the 27th if we do Memorial on the 26th.

Was at Memorial Monday. You could walk across on the boats, yaks, canoes, sailboats, and windsurfers. I have never seen the parking lot so full, but I rarely go on holidays.

I caught one sunfish but he was pretty good size. Most other people I talked to hadn't caught anything. Couldn't score with live or artificial bait of any type in either shallow or deep water with any technique I tried. I even trolled with grem's secret weapon.

The sunfish chomped a size 5 rapala in one of my secret spots. It's not really a secret, it's just out of casting reach of one of the most popular shore fishing spots on the lake. But everyone who fishes there is stunned when I tell them the variety of things I have caught in that spot. In fact when I paddled in close to fish one of my go to pickerel places the two guys on shore with their kids couldn't believe I had caught tons of pickerel right there.

Vegetation is still pretty bad in the shallows but you can see it dying back. Hopefully the traffic will too by the end of the month.

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
I updated the thread title to Blue Marsh instead of just troutspinner.

Attached is an overall image of Blue Marsh. I tried my best to label some things that were not labeled, like the Sheidy Boat Launch in the upper left corner and the Dry Brooks Boat Launch in the lower right corner. Not shown on the map is the State Hill Boat Launch at the very bottom of the lake. I don't know why but the image got cut off in my editing, call it pilot error. ;)

You will notice the Green Rectangle. This is the area I will be focusing on in the next image I will be posting. Also take note to the Red Marks and text inside the Green Rectangle, they are the limits of the No Wake Zone. Everything North and West is no wake, relative to the image.

IMO, State Hill is the best launch for the easiest access but Dry Brooks has just a little more dock space. If your boat has a little speed to it, launch from either of these. If Sheidy is just Closer for you, launch there but it will be about a half hour ride to the Green Zone due to it being no wake.

Blue Marsh.jpg

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
This is the "zoomed in" image that I marked with the Green Rectangle and are the areas I have had better success for Crappies. This is not to say that the rest of the lake is bad, actually it is quite good. You can pretty much find crappie at any laydown, lake wide and catch Crappie. It is just that I have a good amount of experience with the areas marked in red. Find your laydown in those red zones and fish anywhere from 10'-25' and you'll catch them.

Notice the one small zone I marked up Fox Lake. That spot is tough to locate but it is rewarding. Also notice the smallest circle, that is a tree that you only know about if you search on electronics for it. If you are just north of when you find the old bridge structure, notice the small point on the map, keep to the right in about 30' of water. That tree is always loaded whereas the other laydowns south on the map I have found to be abandoned at times. The area just to the left of the smallest dot and up to where Licking Creek enters is the Striper hangout. Good luck with them, I have caught hundreds of stripers the last few years but I have yet to catch a damn striper from this lake. Grrrr.

You will also see where I noted whipers. If your screen lights up with a zillion fish, they're not Crappies, they are the whipers but I have found Crappies and some nice sized Smallies mixed in and then of course there is a laydown next to it that does have crappies.

There is ALOT more to the lake but I feel this area is the easiest to get bit for a newcomer and will keep you busy for a day. Live minnows will speed up your success. 1" Gulp minnows work pretty good too. ;) With that said though, it is almost guaranteed that you will be frustrated by this lake. It has been called the Dead Sea by MANY anglers for MANY years but it is also very rewarding at times.

Quick note, this lake is part of the Panfish Enhancement Program so be sure to only keep 9" and above.

BMZoom.jpg

Don

TS Thanks for writing it out. I move at 3mph and TC paddles. What I envision is to fish my way from Dry Brooks to the confluence of Spring, Licking and Fishing Creeks. That'll be allot of fishing.
TC I suggest we shoot for the 15th and use the 27th as a raincheck. Nice weather could go on for a while but it hasn't been especially predictable this year.
Thoughts?

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
TS Thanks for writing it out. I move at 3mph and TC paddles. What I envision is to fish my way from Dry Brooks to the confluence of Spring, Licking and Fishing Creeks. That'll be allot of fishing.
TC I suggest we shoot for the 15th and use the 27th as a raincheck. Nice weather could go on for a while but it hasn't been especially predictable this year.
Thoughts?

Ok. Take note that after launching from Dry Brooks, there is a swimming beach on your right so that will cut out some fishing. As you are heading to the upper thoroughfare to get to the other creeks, you will see a shoal. It is always worth fishing the shoal. To the right of the shoal is a point with an aggressive drop off. I have found whipers there and they’ve also dropped some Xmas trees in the area as well. When I checked them late last year, there were only sunnies on it, no crappies yet. Also take notice of the cove behind that shoal, that gets interesting at times. ;)

Don

Is this the shoal you mentioned? and there are all sorts of holes in the area down to 30'. Would there be anything down there in September Or is 5-10' more likely?

Attachments

• IMG_1518.JPG
    IMG_1518.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 4

Don

What is the chance of catching a legal size Wiper. Wiper in your def is Hybrid striped bass? Never caught one, 20" limit?

truecrimson

Yeah, whiper or wiper is white bass/striped bass hybrid. I've never caught one. But I would like to.

That looks like a long way to paddle. I may need a tow, Don ;)

I put 9/15 in my calendar.

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
TS I want to catch flats.

I have no idea about them in that lake. Any time we go flathead fishing, we go down to the Schuylkill with a case of beer. ;). My brother has been known to not even bait his hook, he says it interrupts his drinking. Lol

Reactions: A-5