Blue Marsh

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
Is this the shoal you mentioned? and there are all sorts of holes in the area down to 30'. Would there be anything down there in September Or is 5-10' more likely?

No, look straight down from the beach and you see that longish point. The shoal is right out from the point, you can kind of see it in that pic.

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
What is the chance of catching a legal size Wiper. Wiper in your def is Hybrid striped bass? Never caught one, 20" limit?

I’d say just so-so on catching a legal size. Guys there have done it though. I’ve come real close.

Don

I hear Wipers have a soft spot for folks in drift boats.
Maybe TC will pull it off as well. Question is, if we limit out, will you ever talk to us again?

truecrimson

I mostly fish for photos so a sub legal wiper, striper, muskie, or anything else is fine with me.

About that tow...........

Will trade panfish for tow ;)

truecrimson

I scouted all the launches Sunday and fished yesterday.

Took the Ride 135 for the stability.

Launched at the Peacock Road creek launch. It was barely enough water for me, and way too many low hanging trees. A lady I met when leaving told me they will draw down the lake soon and this launch will be inaccessible.

Didn't even get out of that branch of the lake. The branch to the left on TS's map above. I got as far as the 4 just inside the left side of the green box. Power boaters no habla no wake zone. It was getting sketchy enough that I decided to turn around and work my way back. It was a very bumpy day. No way I would want to do that in the vibe.

One little smallie, better than nothing.

I don't think I'd want to be in the wake area in any kayak. This lake is huge and I would really like to catch some new species and try some more techniques. But it seems like I will never be able to get beyond a certain point without getting run over. I'm thinking Blue Marsh will be off the menu unless/until I get a boat.

Don

I know the feeling. I like to stand and cast but don't do so very much in open water for fear of being checked out over. My wife and I are talking NJ next year instead of PA. I really want to catch Northerns and Pickerel. Spruce run (21min) has both plus Crappie and large, deeply suspended gills and bass. Bud Lake (55min) is a dedicated Northern Pike Lake and both are closer than Gouldsboro and Shahola. At Spruce run you can leave your boat on trailer all season.

Thoughts?

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
I don't think I'd want to be in the wake area in any kayak. This lake is huge and I would really like to catch some new species and try some more techniques. But it seems like I will never be able to get beyond a certain point without getting run over. I'm thinking Blue Marsh will be off the menu unless/until I get a boat.
I've fished it several times in a kayak and know what you mean. I feel for the kayakers every time I see them out. I know I am one of the very few that give them a birth, heck, I've seen some boats head right for them with purpose, idiots.

We will have to see if our paths in time cross, you're more than welcomed to jump on my boat and I can show you much more about the lake. I am hooked on bass right now but I am looking forward to learning how to catch the walleye in there. There is a good population in that lake and they are not often targetted.

Reactions: Don

Solitario Lupo

Walleye in a lake. Good luck you really have to learn how to get them. The only time I get them is by just fishing for something else.
I gotta lake where the fish comm. stocks over hundreds of them every year. Not a lot of people fishing for them I don’t even think some know.
Will I’ve tried it floating hours on the yak for one nothing. :mad:
Good luck.

truecrimson

Dammit!

I have wanted to catch walleye for ages. I would keep legal walleye, at least once or twice as we want to try them. I guess now I have to go back.

I would probably launch at Sheidy or the North paddle launch next time if I am by myself. Hopefully that would keep me far enough away from the boaters running up the left arm of lake at full power.

Since Walleye are on all 3 of our lists maybe we should try to figure that out and try to plan another trip together.

pabassman

MANY! My understanding is that Alewives are the Walleye enemy as they'll eat Walleye eggs.
I imagine they eat eggs of everything lol. Alewives should make striper and walleyes pretty easy. Fish the alewife spawn May into July. Night fishing. Pretty cut and dry. Topwater, stickbait, swimbaits where the alewives are spawning. Not hard to find those areas. You'll hear then busting.

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
I imagine they eat eggs of everything lol. Alewives should make striper and walleyes pretty easy. Fish the alewife spawn May into July. Night fishing. Pretty cut and dry. Topwater, stickbait, swimbaits where the alewives are spawning. Not hard to find those areas. You'll hear then busting.

We have fished Blue Marsh a couple of times at night. We've only had luck with Catfish but we did manage to "chase" the alewife schools and netted a few, legally too, we pay the $10 to the state to net them there.

pabassman

We have fished Blue Marsh a couple of times at night. We've only had luck with Catfish but we did manage to "chase" the alewife schools and netted a few, legally too, we pay the $10 to the state to net them there.
Guys do the same on the Pack. You just need to find prime spawning areas.

truecrimson

Finally got around to transferring the pics from 10/10 and 10/11 to the computer. To many to sort and post from phone.

You'd be amazed at what can fit in a Corolla trunk. 2 PFDs, 2 kayak seats, 2 paddles, 8 or 10 rods, tackle bag, extras bag, kayak accessories, and a bunch of other crap.
20211009_172524.jpg

Added the Ride for Blue Marsh
20211009_181923.jpg

Here is the Peacock road launch. Skinny water.
20211010_131210.jpg

Tight quarters on the little creek.
20211010_131237.jpg

Union Canal Paddle Launch. This is north of Shiedy on the same road.
20211010_134913.jpg

Yep. That is the path down to the launch.
20211010_134918.jpg

The view back to the car from where the path makes an abrupt left turn.
20211010_135147.jpg

And this is the Evil Kenevil launch ramp. Photos don't do it justice. It's steep enough it was difficult to walk down.
20211010_135152.jpg

Power boat in the wake area, by the main boat launch. Of course I forgot the name of this launch, but TS knows. The boats slow down slightly for the no wake areas.
20211010_142356.jpg