Boat buying process

truecrimson

So all I need is a 12 year old. A 12 year old who comes with a work space, tools, and a friend who knows what they are doing.

And then we need the kids who can build the trailer and truck.

Melvinp

You could tow a 14 ft aluminum boat with no real issues with your buggy just keep it light electric or a very small gas motor wouldn’t be a big deal.Take the same boat add a floor,storage box’s,multi batteries and multi motors that turns into a whole different story

Bootfoot

Key is lightly loaded. In other words no floor, no storage compartments no raised casting decks, no outboard motor, no gas tank, as few batteries as humanly possible.

I was commenting on the 800 dollar scam boat. That boat had a floor, it had storage compartments, it had a 35 hp motor, in other words it was a heavy 14’ boat.

but I shall give you another pearl. Buy a boat simply because it can be towed by a RAV4 and I’ll show you a boat you will absolutely hate to operate and fish out of. If you can neither tow or afford the boat you want then DONT BUY A BOAT JUST TO BUY A BOAT. You will hate it and you won’t use it. Don’t waste good money that could be later spent on a boat that you actually want. buying A boat based solely on what a RAV4 can tow is a bad boat buying formula. Good things come to those who wait. Shitty little boats come to those who are impatient and live for the now.

again, I towed a 16’ split seat aluminum boat with a little car. It sucked and it was unsafe. I promptly went out and bought a proper tow vehicle for my little boat because my option were to leave the boat sit in the yard, ruin the car or get a new truck.

Last edited:

A-5

You agree that i could tow, launch, and retreive a lightly loaded 14' aluminum boat with the Rav 4 contrary to what Boot says?
Absolutely 100 percent. Load rite trailers and a aluminum boat with a trolling motor absolutely. Tow it with a Prius

Reactions: Don

Don

You agree that i could tow, launch, and retreive a lightly loaded 14' aluminum boat with the Rav 4 contrary to what Boot says?
Absolutely hands down. Aren't u looking at the boat specs when you scan the internet? I would never want the boat Boot has for where I fish. However I learned to ski between croydon and Pt Pleasant on the many holes in the Delaware and I understand his prejudices perfectly. You wouldn't like his boat at Memorial or Locust but he wouldn't like mine at Trenton. Its all about where you're at. You would do nicely with a Jon Boat and not the narrow one..and sit down when passed by bigger boats on Blue marsh. Also avoid high winds except on the smallest lakes.

A-5

Please please do not get a Jon boat. Deep v 14’. 12-14’ Jon’s flip quicker than pancakes in some olive oil

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
I’ll second the “do not get a jon boat”. A Mod V or Deep V is the ticket. Jon boats are for people who own ponds or for only fishing lakes that do not allow power. Even electric boats create wakes today.

Don

But both of you are in modified V Jon Boats. What gives.

No matter what you've been told these principles apply to all type vessels. Jon boats have a naturally low righting arm and are not good choices for those that get seasick easily nor those likely to encounter waves. They're perfect for the average lakes you travel to though not for the bigger lakes like the Nock, Blue Marsh and Raystown...I'd not go near them. Jon boats are not inherently dangerous but rather the operators are. That is why I encourage you to read and read. My last boat was a Carolina Skiff 238 CRV, Flat bottom but with smallish sponsoons. The boat road terrible in bay chop and bobbed until everyone was sick. But once back inside everyone loved my boat. It held 14 people. Lots of initial stability. Great for calm bays, large rivers and medium sized lakes. Any boat you ever own will have safety parameters specific to it. Your job is to know them and anticipate their needs and not go where you shouldn't. At gouldsboro I constantly find aluminum scrapes all around stumps and the edges of rocks where people had used their boat in the wrong way. You see safety and performance apply to all vessels in different ways regardless of our stereotyping them. Buy according to your potential and conditions and you'll have many years of fun.
I've had a 29' Sailboat that had a 4' deep, 3100lb lead keel, 25' macgregor with a retrievable 800' Iron keel, 22'11" CrV, 17 foot Magregor sailboat, Three 17' canoes, 10' homebuilt skiff, 12' homebuilt drift boat, one 12' Kayak and a 14' Fiver. I read extensively all my life about boat design and I visit Mystic and St Michaels Museums Frequently. As an amateur I've gotten around.
The only dangerous boat is the one that a human put where and/or when it didn't belong there. I could feed you some more charts and lectures but if you 1) won't read them or 2) won't believe them or 3) won't apply the knowledge then I won't bother you with it. I just really feel that you would gain more from the rest of your life being on the water than to avoid it and miss out. We can't continue to perform like we did at 20. Every time you say you'll put it off until you can get a better boat then more years pass away. With age there are certain things that cease working on us and when you figure it out then you'll need even more boat. So you'll put it off again and the same thing will happen down the road.
Do what you want but I'd get out of the kayak world and into a real boat sooner than later.

Attachments

• Unknown.jpeg
    Unknown.jpeg
    4.3 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

A-5

Mine is a 1884 18’x7’ wide. Mine is also deep on the sides. The 12’/14’ are death traps. Mine is basically a bass boat with no compartments. Front casting desk and deep sides

Bootfoot

Being the voice of reason is a thankless job. Nobody wants to hear reason, I get it. Ill ask just a few more questions. With all the RAV4’s out on the road, how many times have any of us seen a boat hitched to the back. Idiots with jet skis don’t count. I never seen one, not even one with a jet ski. for the very very few that have been spotted what was your initial thought upon seeing it? Was it, wow what a great idea! Or was it wow, look at that dope! I’m guessing it’s the latter otherwise we would see a RAV4 in front of every boat. why do you suppose that is? I’m sorry, I know that’s not what you want to hear but I feel it’s something that needs to at least be said. enjoy what you have and don’t worry about what you don’t have. Life is far more enjoyable this way.

Don

You guys are funny. I’m glad you’re here in spite of thAt darn RAV4.
I’ll be towing my drift boat behind my jetta (having dumped the jets skis off first) and will be driving it to Montana fishing. It has the 5 cylinder Audi engine and it will go like the wind and stop nicely as well. Make sure you wave when I pass you at Wawa.
I have an f250 rated to tow 13000. I have a Lincoln that pulls 2000 and the jetta the same. I just keep it under half of their limit and they’re fine.

A-5

A lowes v1460 weighs a whopping 195 pounds. Can we stop with the he can’t tow a boat. Seriously. TC you can buy that new $20 a month. Do it you will love it. RAV4 tow 1500 plus. Boat and trailer and a trolling motor will weigh 500 pounds go have fun.