Boat buying process

Melvinp

When I say rig I mean a boat and its tow vehicle hitched together on the road. Not a boat in the water. I’ll answer the question avoided by a few. We don’t see mini vans and compact cars towing boats because, putting it nicely, it’s a bad idea and it’s done by only a few misguided people. Thankfully the vast majority of people realize this and don’t do it.

the boat your fishing out of looks big for a 14’ stripped down tin can.

Why not? That’s the exact weight of a Rav4 so it must be capable of towing 3500 lbs. Sure everybody would rather have a mini van but what’s a Guy to do since they stopped making mini vans
Because my truck rusted out and I got a Subaru Outback if I’m forced I would would do what I had to do

Reactions: Don

Solitario Lupo

Just saying I can pick up the boat and trailer. Had to do it a couple times when I would let the old man back it up he never could straighten it up so I would walk back pick it up and straighten it out. And with two guys can pretty much carry both together. I would think if I can pick it up that a mini van can pull it.

Reactions: Don

Bootfoot

Don, Who’s acting like a child? People who voice their opinions are not acting childish. I pulled a small boat with a small car and it sucked Despite what the engineers said. Others may have different experiences. Others probably put up with the suck better then I and others may feel engineers are gods. I don’t hate wading or bank fishing or canoe/kayak fishing to where I would want a boat so bad that I toss reason, experience and simple observations out the window. I probably do more bank, beach and wade fishing then fishing from my boat so I don’t understand the haste in getting a boat that isn’t really what I wanted in the first place. I’d save my money and not destroy my car to make something work. Others may have a different approach. I’m offering TC my honest and truthfull observations and experiences on what I’ve done and do. There is nothing childish about that. if others add their two cents in opposition of what I do and recommend, well that’s not childish either And it doesn't make anybody right or wrong. being passionate about one’s position is also not childlike. Ball breaking is not totally childish either. He’s free to weigh all the advice and make his own decision. I find it telling that despite the different advice, most of us have bigger boats with gas engines that are pulled with big tow vehicles. I wonder why that is????? I know I have a big truck and big boat because i learned towing with small cars and fishing out of stripped down boats isn’t for me. so my definition of making it work meant figuring out how to buy a big truck and a big boat, not how to get by with stuff I know I hate.

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
I appreciate everyone’s input on this subject. We all have our experience and point of view. The better discussion I believe is how do we get TC into a boat that will work with his current infrastructure and hopefully satisfy most of his wants/needs.

Don

I appreciate everyone’s input on this subject. We all have our experience and point of view. The better discussion I believe is how do we get TC into a boat that will work with his current infrastructure and hopefully satisfy most of his wants/needs.
Precisely, Voice of reason......

Blackcat Outdoors

Well, since everyone else is throwing out opinions I will too.

Personally, around here I see way more small boats than large except on the river. I've fished out of a Jon boat and lots of other small aluminum boats and never felt like it was a waste of time or anything. Personally I am probably going to restore a 12' Jon here this year to use on the small restricted lakes around here. Now, I actually have a full size Blazer that I'm working on, so towing wouldn't be an issue for me even with a large boat. That said, I fully expect that even my Subaru would tow the little Jon around and be fine with it (won't weigh more than 4-500lbs loaded) and as someone who tows 10's of thousands of pounds for a living I would feel pretty comfortable doing so. Adding weight behind you, especially with no trailer brakes requires you to do everything a little slower and increase your stopping distance in general. Lane change= slower, braking= slower, etc. It'll be tougher on any engine, and transmission so good maintenance is key and expect something to wear out a little quicker. That's the trade off unless you buy something designed from the get go for towing. As for any Toyota product, they're usually over engineered so I would think it would hold up fine if you're staying well under the maximum tow weight.

As to why you don't see many small Utes/vans towing boats (even little ones); Why do we see people with 3/4 ton pick-ups just getting groceries and the occasional run to Lowes to pick up a couple hundred pounds of material for that weekend project? Most people go way overboard on vehicles that way. I can't even name the number of people I work with that have 60-90k dollar trucks in the parking lot at work that could tow 20k plus that will never see a trailer or more than 500lbs in the bed. Half have off-road packages too for that drive up a gravel road in buck season or the 10 days of serious snow we usually get. Most people over buy on their trucks in my experience/opinion. I'm guessing with the fuel prices continuing to rocket up we're going to see this change and you're going to see more and more smaller trucks, vans, Utes used going forward.

pabassman

Well, since everyone else is throwing out opinions I will too.

Personally, around here I see way more small boats than large except on the river. I've fished out of a Jon boat and lots of other small aluminum boats and never felt like it was a waste of time or anything. Personally I am probably going to restore a 12' Jon here this year to use on the small restricted lakes around here. Now, I actually have a full size Blazer that I'm working on, so towing wouldn't be an issue for me even with a large boat. That said, I fully expect that even my Subaru would tow the little Jon around and be fine with it (won't weigh more than 4-500lbs loaded) and as someone who tows 10's of thousands of pounds for a living I would feel pretty comfortable doing so. Adding weight behind you, especially with no trailer brakes requires you to do everything a little slower and increase your stopping distance in general. Lane change= slower, braking= slower, etc. It'll be tougher on any engine, and transmission so good maintenance is key and expect something to wear out a little quicker. That's the trade off unless you buy something designed from the get go for towing. As for any Toyota product, they're usually over engineered so I would think it would hold up fine if you're staying well under the maximum tow weight.

As to why you don't see many small Utes/vans towing boats (even little ones); Why do we see people with 3/4 ton pick-ups just getting groceries and the occasional run to Lowes to pick up a couple hundred pounds of material for that weekend project? Most people go way overboard on vehicles that way. I can't even name the number of people I work with that have 60-90k dollar trucks in the parking lot at work that could tow 20k plus that will never see a trailer or more than 500lbs in the bed. Half have off-road packages too for that drive up a gravel road in buck season or the 10 days of serious snow we usually get. Most people over buy on their trucks in my experience/opinion. I'm guessing with the fuel prices continuing to rocket up we're going to see this change and you're going to see more and more smaller trucks, vans, Utes used going forward.
Overkill is underrated 🤣

Bootfoot

The world needs more, “that guy.” Yesterday I logged in 4 hours on the road and didn’t see one economy car towing anything. I’ll keep my eye out though.

I agree, people over buy their trucks…. Like me. I have a GMC 2500HD just for towing my boat. Every now and again I drive it to the grocery store but it is strictly a tow vehicle for my aluminum boat Which I use to tow with an expedition. Both are extremely capable for towing a boat but the GMC tows at a different level. I also have a 2014 Nissan Murano, a 2022 Nissan Murano, and a 2021 Subaru Outback And I wouldn’t even think about towing anything with any of them.

overkill Is also very safe for everybody on the road.