Boat buying process

Bootfoot

A lowes v1460 weighs a whopping 195 pounds. Can we stop with the he can’t tow a boat. Seriously. TC you can buy that new $20 a month. Do it you will love it. RAV4 tow 1500 plus. Boat and trailer and a trolling motor will weigh 500 pounds go have fun.
Can a RAV4 be used as a tow vehicle, sure it can. I never said it couldn’t tow a really small empty boat, just that it’s a bad idea to tow a really small full boat. Again, I’m not arguing if a rav4 can pull it so we are kind of in agreement. I could pull a small boat without a car but that doesn’t make it the smart thing to do. Go ahead and pull a small boat with a RAV4 and let’s see how long that RAV4 lasts. I’m curious what some of the vehicle mechanics on this site think of towing even a light boat weighing in at 1000 lbs (yes a thousand loaded, easy) with a small economy car. Maybe I’m just use to big trucks, maybe I’m wrong, I’m not a mechanic after all. I am right about the suck factor though because that’s coming from experience. TC is free to do what he deems best just as you and I did. Nobody is wrong and nobody is right as long as we make our own decisions for ourselves.

A-5 That is one heck of a nice boat at $3500.00 plus, freight, plus prep, plus dealer fees, plus title, plus tags, plus $200.00 in taxes. Oh wait, we need a trailer that’s another $1200.00 plus everything else. so we are up to 5K for a boat with no motor. oh that’s right we’re going to use an electric motor. going slow fighting the wind is great fun for a couple hours. I’d rather have the 5K, my kayak and a good reliable car over an inferior boat, poor running car, no money and a bank note. That’s just me though. you may feel different and it’s okay If you do.

and that would be a little over 20 dollars a month for 20 years assuming we can get a 2.5% rate on a 4000.00 loan for 20 years.

A-5

I give up.

TC. Just sit in your house and eat bologna and cheese and read boots fishing post.

truecrimson

Can a RAV4 be used as a tow vehicle, sure it can. I never said it couldn’t tow a really small empty boat, just that it’s a bad idea to tow a really small full boat. Again, I’m not arguing if a rav4 can pull it so we are kind of in agreement. I could pull a small boat without a car but that doesn’t make it the smart thing to do. Go ahead and pull a small boat with a RAV4 and let’s see how long that RAV4 lasts. I’m curious what some of the vehicle mechanics on this site think of towing even a light boat weighing in at 1000 lbs (yes a thousand loaded, easy) with a small economy car. Maybe I’m just use to big trucks, maybe I’m wrong, I’m not a mechanic after all. I am right about the suck factor though because that’s coming from experience. TC is free to do what he deems best just as you and I did. Nobody is wrong and nobody is right as long as we make our own decisions for ourselves.

A-5 That is one heck of a nice boat at $3500.00 plus, freight, plus prep, plus dealer fees, plus title, plus tags, plus $200.00 in taxes. Oh wait, we need a trailer that’s another $1200.00 plus everything else. so we are up to 5K for a boat with no motor. oh that’s right we’re going to use an electric motor. going slow fighting the wind is great fun for a couple hours. I’d rather have the 5K, my kayak and a good reliable car over an inferior boat, poor running car, no money and a bank note. That’s just me though. you may feel different and it’s okay If you do.

and that would be a little over 20 dollars a month for 20 years assuming we can get a 2.5% rate on a 4000.00 loan for 20 years.
I am reading everything anyone posts and thinking a lot about it all.

Melvin, Randy, any other mechanics, what do you guys think about the highlighted part?

Melvinp

Well my folks pulled a 18ft full fiberglass boat with a v8 Chevy inboard in it with a 1972 Pontiac Grand Prix for years so my family is a little daring.It really depends on how heavy it is and how far you want to tow it.Boots pretty strong headed but he talking about the realities of buying and towing a boat and it’s not all about going and stopping keeping that trailer in its own lane when blackcat comes by you at 70 and loses a front tire.Yes I do believe it can be done safety as long as you don’t go overboard

Bootfoot

Well my folks pulled a 18ft full fiberglass boat with a v8 Chevy inboard in it with a 1972 Pontiac Grand Prix for years so my family is a little daring.It really depends on how heavy it is and how far you want to tow it.Boots pretty strong headed but he talking about the realities of buying and towing a boat and it’s not all about going and stopping keeping that trailer in its own lane when blackcat comes by you at 70 and loses a front tire.Yes I do believe it can be done safety as long as you don’t go overboard
i Can’t argue that one. im going to change my position. I would get a 14’ boat that I could take exactly one person out in (one as in me unless I could find a 150 lb fishing partner) and use the boat as an excuse to buy a bigger tow vehicle when I see how much it sucks. After getting a Truck I can tow more so I can get an outboard motor, a fuel tank, fire extinguisher, and some electronics. After you have the tow vehicle I guarantee you will want a bigger boat but now your in this financial loop where you don’t have the money because you wasted money on an inferior boat to start this process. Now you will cuss your decision made just a few years ago And question why you didn’t just wait a little.

again, I’m talking me now not anybody else, so I’m not and have never been arguing with anybody. A differing opinion is just that, a differing opinion based on our own life experience. So if it were me I would work towards my goal, save my money and buy a proper boat when the time comes when I’m not limited by money or tow vehicle. That time will come. Until then, enjoy your life as it is. Fishing from a small crappy boat sucks just as much as towing with an undersized vehicle so don’t think fishing will be all peaches and cream from a small boat that can be towed by a Rav4. It’s why most people upgrade To bigger boats or abandoned their boats to the back yard. It’s why I know I would enjoy my kayak way more.

in the end I’m sure you will come to a decision that you feel is best for you. Sorry for being the voice of reason.

truecrimson

Don't apologize. You've brought up a lot of things I didn't even know I should be thinking about. I think you are probably correct, and the best course of action is to wait until a better tow vehicle becomes possible.

A-5

i Can’t argue that one. im going to change my position. I would get a 14’ boat that I could take exactly one person out in (one as in me unless I could find a 150 lb fishing partner) and use the boat as an excuse to buy a bigger tow vehicle when I see how much it sucks. After getting a Truck I can tow more so I can get an outboard motor, a fuel tank, fire extinguisher, and some electronics. After you have the tow vehicle I guarantee you will want a bigger boat but now your in this financial loop where you don’t have the money because you wasted money on an inferior boat to start this process. Now you will cuss your decision made just a few years ago And question why you didn’t just wait a little.

again, I’m talking me now not anybody else, so I’m not and have never been arguing with anybody. A differing opinion is just that, a differing opinion based on our own life experience. So if it were me I would work towards my goal, save my money and buy a proper boat when the time comes when I’m not limited by money or tow vehicle. That time will come. Until then, enjoy your life as it is. Fishing from a small crappy boat sucks just as much as towing with an undersized vehicle so don’t think fishing will be all peaches and cream from a small boat that can be towed by a Rav4. It’s why most people upgrade To bigger boats or abandoned their boats to the back yard. It’s why I know I would enjoy my kayak way more.

in the end I’m sure you will come to a decision that you feel is best for you. Sorry for being the voice of reason.
You are voice of reason bahahahah. The voice of a something yes. To be kind I’ll say it that way. Misery yes

Solitario Lupo

You could tow a 14 ft aluminum boat with no real issues with your buggy just keep it light electric or a very small gas motor wouldn’t be a big deal.Take the same boat add a floor,storage box’s,multi batteries and multi motors that turns into a whole different story
Didn’t really keep up with this thread just skimmed threw a little. I tow a 14’ boat with a 10 horsepower on it, big battery with trolling motor and it’s done with a town and country.

As for v Hull it is one and never had a problem with flipping or stability.

Reactions: A-5

Solitario Lupo

Lol. I never really caught anything out of it that’s was worth it but at least I get a nice sun tan.

As for stability I should sum up. Don’t have both people go to one side to much weight will flip it’s not like a big boat so I think it takes a little bit of brain power in some people but some who don’t have it might not wanna be in a small boat.

Bootfoot

Now you guys just want to argue. I’m sure it’s a dream rig that’s everything a fishing boat and tow vehicle should be for 2 people out of a hundred. the Ugly question is still being avoided by a couple guys. Just why is it we don’t see more of these rigs on the road or at the ramps?

Solitario Lupo

Not sure why I would see more on the roads or ramps but out my way I see a lot on the waters. All depends on the waters and there limits. Most my Lakes I even fish are limited. As for bigger waters it’s usually weather or aholes flying around in the bigger boats you gotta watch for.

Reactions: A-5

truecrimson

Didn’t really keep up with this thread just skimmed threw a little. I tow a 14’ boat with a 10 horsepower on it, big battery with trolling motor and it’s done with a town and country.

As for v Hull it is one and never had a problem with flipping or stability.

Well that lead to some interesting research. According to al Gore's intarwebz your towing capacity is 3600 lbs. My Rav4's is 1500 lbs. But a towing package can be added to the Rav4 (for unknown cost) that would increase it to 3500lbs.

Solitario Lupo

I honestly had know idea haha. Was always question if it was ok to even run a boat on it. Now I know why it handles it so great.

Don

Rav who?

Attachments

• AF9848D1-5912-49CD-A663-942856F91F55.jpeg
    AF9848D1-5912-49CD-A663-942856F91F55.jpeg
    60.8 KB · Views: 2

Melvinp

Well that lead to some interesting research. According to al Gore's intarwebz your towing capacity is 3600 lbs. My Rav4's is 1500 lbs. But a towing package can be added to the Rav4 (for unknown cost) that would increase it to 3500lbs.
There’s no way I would want 3600 lds behind a RAV4 just saying but the up grade would probably be heavier rear springs and shocks and some sort of brake system on the trailer

Bootfoot

Not sure why I would see more on the roads or ramps but out my way I see a lot on the waters. All depends on the waters and there limits. Most my Lakes I even fish are limited. As for bigger waters it’s usually weather or aholes flying around in the bigger boats you gotta watch for.
When I say rig I mean a boat and its tow vehicle hitched together on the road. Not a boat in the water. I’ll answer the question avoided by a few. We don’t see mini vans and compact cars towing boats because, putting it nicely, it’s a bad idea and it’s done by only a few misguided people. Thankfully the vast majority of people realize this and don’t do it.

But Lupo bootfoot says that boat can’t be fun to fish in. So just get rid of it.
the boat your fishing out of looks big for a 14’ stripped down tin can.

There’s no way I would want 3600 lds behind a RAV4 just saying but the up grade would probably be heavier rear springs and shocks and some sort of brake system on the trailer
Why not? That’s the exact weight of a Rav4 so it must be capable of towing 3500 lbs. Sure everybody would rather have a mini van but what’s a Guy to do since they stopped making mini vans

Don

Everything offered in this whole thread is ignoring simple engineering specs. You folks are throwing your opinions at each other when the engineers have made the facts available to you. Time to grow up yins!
The spec as they are listed are what is okay. The designers have spent millions to test and prove so. Minivans pull and small boat just fine. Its all in the specs and should always be compared against the drivers skill.
You're all giving opinions. I would never enter into some new venture without making design research first and foremost in my quest. That is why I've been able to do so many things in my short life. Read the specs, hone your skills, PARTICIPATE.
And don't drag Randy Z into this.

A-5

Everything offered in this whole thread is ignoring simple engineering specs. You folks are throwing your opinions at each other when the engineers have made the facts available to you. Time to grow up yins!
The spec as they are listed are what is okay. The designers have spent millions to test and prove so. Minivans pull and small boat just fine. Its all in the specs and should always be compared against the drivers skill.
You're all giving opinions. I would never enter into some new venture without making design research first and foremost in my quest. That is why I've been able to do so many things in my short life. Read the specs, hone your skills, PARTICIPATE.
And don't drag Randy Z into this.
Honestly I have facts about aluminum boats that weigh 200 pounds and a 200lb trailer and 200 pound accessories. That’s 600 pounds. Engineering says rav4 can pull 1500. Sooooo Don what part of this is my opinion or engineering. My point the entire time was this. My opinion i if the rav4 can pull 1500. Don’t hold yourself back and not do something because a boat won’t be fun unless it’s a big bad boy with a F250

A-5

7A92463E-DA84-44CF-AA7E-1ABDC63D7728.png
I wasn’t talking about my boat. Mine is a tin can with a floor with a 6hp motor cause I can’t afford my dream engine because I don’t have the money it’s pulled by a 1989 suburban with over 250,000 miles on it.