Boots

Solitario Lupo

Looking for a good waterproof pair of boots. Not wading just a walking around on shore. I usually get goretex and love them but seeing there’s so many types out there and goretex being so expensive nowadays. What’s your go to boots.

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
Looking for a good waterproof pair of boots. Not wading just a walking around on shore. I usually get goretex and love them but seeing there’s so many types out there and goretex being so expensive nowadays. What’s your go to boots.

Two years ago I bought a pair of Itasca Muck boots from Tractor Supply. They were around $50. They have turned out to be one my best fishing purchases. They are holding up very well and are surprisingly comfortable and warm enough at that price. I use them to hit my local reservoir spots in the winter as well as loading / unloading my boat when the docks are out. Since they are that comfortable, I sometimes forget to put my sneakers back on when I am in the boat fishing.

Here is a link

Don M

Two years ago I bought a pair of Itasca Muck boots from Tractor Supply. They were around $50. They have turned out to be one my best fishing purchases. They are holding up very well and are surprisingly comfortable and warm enough at that price. I use them to hit my local reservoir spots in the winter as well as loading / unloading my boat when the docks are out. Since they are that comfortable, I sometimes forget to put my sneakers back on when I am in the boat fishing.

Here is a link
Being a wide guy/ I also have a wide foot. I went to the link and read the few reviews and found this " I would have rated them 5 stars except for two things. The boots fit wide and extra wide feet". I have a wide foot, so would you say this is accurate?

A-5

Actual muck boots are horrible

First week they are the bomb after that go barefoot. Don’t even put the boots on. Junk

Melvinp

I’ve got a pair of lacrosse knee highs not cheap and I’ll get about 2 years before they leak but very comfortable

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
Being a wide guy/ I also have a wide foot. I went to the link and read the few reviews and found this " I would have rated them 5 stars except for two things. The boots fit wide and extra wide feet". I have a wide foot, so would you say this is accurate?
I’d say they do run wide. I wear a normal shoe so to speak and there is a little room for warm socks in these boots.

Gremcat

Many might not know but I got mangled as a pedestrian by a speeding unlicensed migrant worker type. No grudges here but did have to learn to walk again. I was a nuisance to all my healthcare providers. If any of you are in the field sorry. I escaped every bed/room/therapy they put me in and was banging out reps of 400lbs leg presses with external rods holding fractures together. I don’t sit well so to speak.

Needless to say to hunt that first year I needed good boots to stabilize my leg. Doc said I was nuts actually but resigned themselves to giving me an X-ray every other day to verify I hadn’t shifted fragments.

All that to say I’m now a huge proponent of quality footwear. My daily shoes are Salomon GTX Lightweights with the wire laces. Not cheap for knock around shoes but I need stability and traction. I’ve a few Merrells and some custom made stuff as well.

For go anywhere, dry to the tops submerged, wear like an old glove, be buried in I whole heartedly say American Danners. I’d go with Canadians unless your logging on steep moss. Super Rainforests are more supportive but stiffer to wear. I had a pair of SRFs the last broke on. They gave me full retail credit. I bought Canadians and neglected them the past 7 years. I wet waded, shoveled snow/threw 100s of pounds of salt/calcium, climbed granite, mowed, hiked, you name it. Bear dragged one off my porch but only chewed a little. I just sent back for a Supreme Rebuild. $170 and they called to say my goretex liners had pin holes. I was surprised because I’ve waded right to the tops and stayed bone dry. The tongue is stitched to the upper so it’s waterproof to the top. Girl recommended replacing, sensed my hesitation at another $100 on 7 yo abused $400 boots. She said they have some upgrades she couldn’t put into my rebuild without removing the liner anyway and confirmed she’d not hesitate to say I’d get another decade of hunts out of them. I’d been worried the leather would dry rot inside 5 years. I was floored she threw it out there nonchalantly. Young girl, pleasant, Oregon, honestly I was not explaining why the red stains looked like blood thinking she’s go full trendy hippy on me. Guess my preconceived notions about a person were once again false.

Long story longer, I received them back inside the promised 6 weeks. Even when they called for payment and I told them the check was in the envelope. I paid with CC and she told me they received at x hour on x day and would be shipping no later than exactly 6 weeks from that hour. True to her word almost a day early not sooner but not later they shipped. Like seeing an old friend again.

$200 Import Danners or other boots wouldn’t make me smile putting them on. Even if I could only buy one piece of footwear and I wore these exclusively a year or more with the leg, I’d shell out for them all over again without hesitation. My Salomon Hiking shoes cost about what those imports do and last maybe 1.5 years how I use them if not less. By comparison, my Danner Canadians are a value.

Full disclaimer, I’ve not tried Whites Smoke Jumpers yet. I almost did but bad swelling made measurements impossible. Knowing what I know now Canadians with their lower heel are a better option anyway.

A few tricks, if you go to real leather boots. Put bags on your socked feet, take a hit shower so the boots get soaked, hike or do yard work until they dry, you’ll thank me later.

If you get old feet and gave full laces like Danners, in the winter unlace and relace starting up 4-5 eyelets. Far enough down to lock your ankle in but don’t compress your feet. Add a merino sock liner and a good merino heavy sock. You’ll be good to -15 to -20. I speak from hunting in those conditions.

Crispi and other hardcore purpose built mountaineering boots are great, if your tackling Everest. They’ll wear hot spots and blisters into your feet, never break in really, and never be warm or comfortable. Specialized purpose built is just that. If your primary use isn’t alpining don’t buy alpine boots.

Gremcat

Wow long even by my standards. I have maybe 20 pairs of footwear counting a few formal deals that match suits. I now have very different foot positions, sizes, and profiles with my bad leg being flat footed, possessing much less flexibility or ankle stabilizing muscles, etc. my gait is a little strange but I defied docs and no walkers or canes. I climb nearby peaks and almost never even limp now. I do still wear good wool socks and one area I don’t shortcut is good footwear.