Boxelder

Don

Took a side tour today. Boxelder. Biggest ever for me. 43”x11’ x 2.5 thick. Nicely spalted.

Attachments

• E6AB090F-0C68-475A-88BF-260CD94835CB.jpeg
    E6AB090F-0C68-475A-88BF-260CD94835CB.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 7
  • 9C566E0C-94A5-47B3-8A15-6992F8BEF812.jpeg
    9C566E0C-94A5-47B3-8A15-6992F8BEF812.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 7
  • 847CA95D-1015-403E-9CCF-74968DD2ACA4.jpeg
    847CA95D-1015-403E-9CCF-74968DD2ACA4.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 8
  • 73842F14-DABA-40BE-A5C9-057CF6D17727.jpeg
    73842F14-DABA-40BE-A5C9-057CF6D17727.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 8

Don

Sales. How many do you want. 😂

As a hobby I’ve been collecting, cutting and selling slabs off and on for a few years.

Gremcat

Box elder Burl is pretty awesome stuff. I’m conceptualizing a desk for our home office. Originally I was thinking of using wood, then something buried under epoxy like small river rocks, then a large pointy piece of granite with a water jet glass top to cantilever off it as the desk.
Now my wife wants a double desk office setup. I’ve often looked at the book matched or other slabs that use bow ties to seam them and even saved some crude aluminum or copper seams. I had a friend who owns a metal art company doing mostly chairs/benches and we talked about casting light alloys. I’m thinking I need to talk to Don on dimensions and figure out how I want to make this work. I planned a large formal library with Murphy bed for my oldest son’s visits but adding in the crazy oak/walnut floor I don’t know how to match it with a wood desk. Matching 2-3 colors of wood from flooring to ceiling molding was always the interior design magic I lacked. I can make some beautiful combos of cabinet woods and granites but throw I. Wood floors and walls I’m lost.

Reactions: A-5

Don

Grem you are so much like my 36 yr old son. He always has 10 projects caught in his head at any one time. He's has done those epoxy and gravel type tops. Some Awesome and some , ehhhh. Its probably good for you that there are only so many hrs in a day. It'll take TC a bit to catch up but he will land soon.

Gremcat

More importantly, what sweet book matched (or not) slabs are you sitting on and what’s my PAA discount?

Gremcat

lol, now it's my turn to say I have no idea what you just said.

Something about having wood? ;)
This first pic is bow ties used to reinforce a top. The second pic is decorative. I’m thinking of a inside 90 degree top (inside L shape) as a double office desk. I would use molten copper to connect the two edges to form the L so to speak.
B36FEAF9-E73C-4210-9E90-4D606DC2D532.jpeg
7246BFB5-405B-425C-882A-3690B11A46A4.jpeg

Don

You must be happy last couple od years for all the Ash trees. makes great home heating wood.

Don

Some of my Son's work with turquoise.

Attachments

• IMG_1609.JPG
    IMG_1609.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1610.JPG
    IMG_1610.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 4

Don

I have a bunch of these to sell. Walnut 40x3" x 10' with the far end being 60-70" wide.

Attachments

• IMG_0016.jpg
    IMG_0016.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 2

Gremcat

I’m not necessarily looking for walnut just used the pics to show the inlays.

The Burl with turquoise is very nice.

I’m thinking something lighter but I’m not sure. The floors are white oak but with tons of epoxy and black grain fill so look like Circassian walnut I guess. The Main level of the house is cherry tongue and groove walls and natural stone. The office is more white washed I guess I would saw. The brick surround left from the coal stove I whitewashed and added 6-8 pieces of molding to form the crown. I went molding heavy on the floor to ceiling windows as well. Add in the floors I described and a rare room of sheetrock. Im stumped on what type of slabs to make the desk from. The built ins will be on a far wall with French doors separating one side and the wall of windows on the other. Basically they don’t have to match and will probably be more molding heavy I’m thinking. I like formal everywhere but my desk in this house.

Don

Awesome! Can't have enough wood. Light, dark, formal, casual, I like them all.

Gremcat

I’m a wood lover, a granite/stone lover running an Org after starting as their Buyer, and patina copper. Basically anything semi natural, very little use for polymers in these applications and lots of unique character in stone slabs, wood slabs, or ingets.

I’m thinking something light with lots of worm trails or other uniqueness for the desk. Looked at lots of concepts today. I’m thinking some minimalist steel legs and steel supports for floating book shelves over it. Just have to figure out how to layout for two work areas given the wall layout. Originally planned a built in credenza in the big nook with a large free standing desk in the room. Adding a second large monitor computer setup is a little bit of an aesthetics challenge.

Melvinp

You must be happy last couple od years for all the Ash trees. makes great home heating wood.
Happy no those ash trees are very dangerous to cut and the woods look like a war zone but yes there’s plenty of firewood out there.

Reactions: Don