Braid, There I said it!

Don

As I hold my nose and come to the reality of my situation I humbly ask: What Braid do you like or prefer. I'm gonna need a line for punching and Now , due to a friends and also PABassman's nudging I now am sort of hooked on Striper Fishing. So I figure I'll put it on a Penn Spinning reel and also a baitcaster reel. Then I'm set for Punching/flipping/striper.

What's that? Oh, Yeah, I figure 40-50lb test and I'm not willing to take Sol's advice as to which lb test. :);)

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
I have only used a couple different brands but I like Power Pro and J Braid. As for lb. I am a 30 fan, I can cast for miles with it. I have tried 50lb, it casted well but one day I hooked a bush, that required pulling up the trolling motor, trimming the engine up and then dragging the boat to the bush, you just can't break that stuff! 2 years ago, we reeled in a 100lb shark using 30# braid, it's plenty tough. When I say we, 3 of us took turns, it kicked our butt! ;)

Reactions: Don

Don

I’ve bought some Kastking stuff. But I noticed all their affordable braids have some negative remarks. Their best stuff is similarly price to more famous brands.

Don

When spooling up braid they say t use backing of mono. Must it be Same test in the mono?

Don

I'm flexible. I can be a loser at many things at once. Your honor please not that the witness has refused to answer the question.

Reactions: A-5

Don

The reason that I though I need braid is that I wan to pull big fish from heavy cover. My reels don't handle the thickness and stiffness of 30-50lb mono. They would handle the same weight in braid. I could be wrong but I hear braid cuts through vegetation better than mono. Is it too tangly?

Don

Back to what Uncle was saying. I didn't fish from when I was 18 or 19 until I was 59. During that time the fishing world grew up. What I thought I was good at no one does much anymore. So I'm like a kid in a candy shop and looking to get up to speed. During the creation of this thread I learned allot more about Line and the wishlist grows.

One thing I did not realize is that the occillation of some older reals is out of timing with the way braid loads/lays when you load/retrive it. ON some reels the bail throws Wind Knots and the line can break at those knots.
I was looking to put braid onto my Penn 710z. What I found out was it may have been a waste of money as these older Penn reels were notoriously bad at handling braid. 20lb Original Fireline is the closest you can get to Braid without carving up and torturing the reel. I won't do that. It seems that this reel with its slow retrieval rate and its large spool actually works best with 12-15lb mono. I have 12 Big Game On it now. When this is shot I'll get Fireline for it.

The bait caster, Royal Legends, I have will handle 30-50lb braid nicely and they may be the place to start. I fear that 30lb diameter may create user challenges for this new fisherman and that the 50lb diameter may work better from an ergonomic point of view.

At the start of this Stripers and Punching were the reasons I was seeking to get into braid. It seems that a spinning reel is easier to handle in the dark though I did fine the other night with the baitcster. I adjusted the drop and took two more clicks and ran the magnets al the was up and it was fine.

Bootfoot

I have braid on all of my rods. I will never go back to mono as I have discovered how many fish I didn’t even know were there when fishing mono/floro. I have 20lb braid on all my freshwater striper rods. 40 or 50 is way overkill unless you think your going to pull in a hundred pounds of weeds with the fish. I wouldn’t go over 30. I use a mono leader just for stealth reasons. I don’t know if it matters or not but it makes me feel better about it. I use whatever braid I can get for the cheapest. I look for the sales. I have every brand made which is why I say braid is braid. i Don’t like spider wire because it’s to stiff.