Braid, There I said it!

Don

Long drawn out discussions, where participants are verbally massaged with challenging ideas, can often be the best way for some to gain mastery or insight into the nuances of the subject being discussed.
I do realize I put myself out there, quite exposed, open to attack. But it’s the way it works for some looking to reach a little higher in their game.
I’m sorting. I’m listening.
The goal of my last few threads have been to confirm my procedures, preferences and precepts and to complete my inventory. Not that inventory and preferences don’t change but to be able to buy and use my gear better.
I have been all over the place with different lines to see what I like, compare it to what you folks like and then buy it right. This article has pushed me futher along that path.
It would make sence to boil down which lines I like the most so that I could buy them in bulk.
For instance:
-All spincast get 6 lb suffix orange or green mono.
-All spinning gets 6 or 8lb bright brIte braid
-All baitcasters get 30lb braid
-All salt water gets ,,,gets,,,well one to go.
DonM, troutspanker and Black cat will spill the beans on that. Maybe even Old BootFoot will chime in with his observations.
All comments were welcome and helpful. Papa will knock us around if we get too coarse, others will drop out of certain discussion. But you won’t find this much heart-to-heart discussion on very many other sites.

truecrimson

Allot of responsibility. Sure you’re up for it?

Blackcat will help out.

Umm, 6 lbs and ultralight? Dang ditch pickle fishermen. 4 lbs is light, goes down from there. I cringe when water is mud and fish are 12lbs+ so I UPSIZE to 6lbs.

lol, the rod and reel are ultralight. At my advanced age 6lb is about the smallest I can actually feel and work with. You yunguns will get here eventually.

I’m in, let’s bet in hundreds or with rods as collateral!

Oh, gosh. I'll have to go around to creeks and lakes and collect all my old rods for that.

Yes but all my money will be Monopoly money and all the rods will be worn spincast rods from the 60's.🤣🤣🤣

I've got some Zimbabwe dollars. But Grem can just pay in Ethereum ;)

I get it, just wouldn’t say above 6 lbs is ultralight. That’s salt/big salmon/pile territory.

Old guy territory.

I’ll pay in worthless IOUs written in crayon. It’s all good!
Ethereum. Pay me in ethereum.

I’ll use 2 lbs exotic unobtanium unicorn hair

Does Walmart have that? Or do you have to get it from Bass Pro?

Z can build me an xxx fast action one piece ul blank at 12’+ I’ll cover the line with Teflon impregnated lube and probably use a centerpin reel and a million lbs of weight.

You put A-5's lube back where you found it. And wash your hands. He was just spawning last month ;)

I'm your huckleberry. 😂

I knew I could count on you ;)

Gremcat

Blackcat will help out.

lol, the rod and reel are ultralight. At my advanced age 6lb is about the smallest I can actually feel and work with. You yunguns will get here eventually.

Oh, gosh. I'll have to go around to creeks and lakes and collect all my old rods for that.

I've got some Zimbabwe dollars. But Grem can just pay in Ethereum ;)

Old guy territory.

Ethereum. Pay me in ethereum.

Does Walmart have that? Or do you have to get it from Bass Pro?

You put A-5's lube back where you found it. And wash your hands. He was just spawning last month ;)

I knew I could count on you ;)
Hey now,

Eth is so worthless I’ll take all you’ve got, $1USD ~ 1 ETH, It’s charitable work I’m doing.

I’ll even trade you guns valued the same for ETH. Can probably find you some rust bucket SKS’s.

Unicorn Snot is not at BassPro, only at Cabelas, err Academy, err Sportsman’s, err maybe Dunham’s if they aren’t swallowed in the black hole.

Sad day when I’m considering Dunham’s, like the Family Dollar of sporting goods or worse.

truecrimson

Hey now,

Eth is so worthless I’ll take all you’ve got, $1USD ~ 1 ETH, It’s charitable work I’m doing.

I’ll even trade you guns valued the same for ETH. Can probably find you some rust bucket SKS’s.

Unicorn Snot is not at BassPro, only at Cabelas, err Academy, err Sportsman’s, err maybe Dunham’s if they aren’t swallowed in the black hole.

Sad day when I’m considering Dunham’s, like the Family Dollar of sporting goods or worse.
You're supposed to give me eth, not take it ;)

I would buy rust bucket SKS's (or other guns), but for FRNs, not things that actually have value like Eth or BTC.

I have been trying to resist getting into stuff like this, and having raw material available would probably push me over the edge

Don

Nothing special needed to cut braid. This is what I carry and they cut braid with no issue at all. I have them in my bag, on my boat, in my pack, and at my world HQ. At less than four bucks apiece you can have a pair stashed everywhere.
I have tried to be cheap and it bit me so buyer beware. Boot mentioned those inexpensive scissors above and seeing the Bass Pro brand I thought I could one-up that recommendation. "After all I'm here, I'm sure they'll work, I'll just grab them". Wrong! They don't work a stitch and Bass Pro should be ashamed.IMG_3750.jpegIt makes me chuckle that I was that dumb:
IMG_3742.jpeg

Gremcat

You're supposed to give me eth, not take it ;)

I would buy rust bucket SKS's (or other guns), but for FRNs, not things that actually have value like Eth or BTC.

I have been trying to resist getting into stuff like this, and having raw material available would probably push me over the edge

I tend to toss anything that appears slightly rusty. Gives me reason to buy a newer version tool.

The one exception I’ll gladly trade you ETH for is original, not welded, bear traps,,,,, preferably no rust but I know trappers purposely rust their traps so I’m not picky.

Gremcat

More better if it’s a bonafide tiger or “man” trap,,, not where your minds going either,,,,, weirdo

Reactions: A-5

Gremcat

I have tried to be cheap and it bit me so buyer beware. Boot mentioned those inexpensive scissors above and seeing the Bass Pro brand I thought I could one-up that recommendation. "After all I'm here, I'm sure they'll work, I'll just grab them". Wrong! They don't work a stitch and Bass Pro should be ashamed.View attachment 3544It makes me chuckle that I was that dumb:
View attachment 3545
I had the blue ones ove since seen at WM and they cut braid fine. Albeit not tuna/Marlin rated thickness. We where thumbing from Montgomery with this guitar on our back,,,, or off grid fishing anyways feeling nostalgic, no food all day so decided to keep a few of the locals to cook, realized we had no knife, he managed to clean fish with those scissors, they’ve been worthless ever since. I’m pretty sure he cut rocks or something too because they went from great to worthless. Even by WM standards they mayve been pricey. Remind me and you can have them at our next meetup. I have a Work Sharp if you think it’ll save you some work. I went to textile trimmers then quit braid so no issues since.

Gremcat

Meh, $9 and titanium. Probably a PIA to sharpen but the Work Sharp literally changed my life making the whole kitchen go from flat dull to razors in minutes after years of processing double digits deer with said dull knives. My paper making stepfather showed up with a Buck knife after mill got so sick of stolen Camilius knives they went cheap. Swore it wouldn’t cut and talking we had 3 sided whetstones to Sharp for sample cutting. He’s spent 50 years perfecting a sharp knife. 5 mins on Work Sharp and he was amazed. Swore he’d spent a lot of time trying to make it serviceable.

Should’ve called my uncle for one of the 50+ missing Camilius folders he has in gun room,,,,,,,,,,, went to my uncles ADX camp once and found a bunch of my missing work razors even. One I had scratched “Steal Me” on it after so many other thefts had happened. It was gone the same night. Pretty tough when working 16 hrs, cutting samples of Kraft paper and fiberglass non-wovens ever 30 mins with no knife or razor. Some grades so thick it required the razor. Uncle made $180k/yr and never cut his own samples,,,,,,, it’s ok, I was bear hunting there solo and had a bullet deflect. To verify I took his nice shiney hatchet and tried cutting into tree. Broke that joker off like nothing. Had been an expensive gift from my Aunt,,,, lol.