Braid, There I said it!

truecrimson

I aught that one bass at Memorial. Due to excessive excessiveness I have not gotten to fish nearly as much as I should have. I don't even think I've wet the yak yet. I tried real hard that day with TS, but, you know, his bad luck and all.....:ROFLMAO:

Don't worry little guy. Keep trying. It will happen. I believe in you little buddy ;)

Randy Z

I use braid on all my rods except my ultralight rods. I personally love spider wire. It has been the best casting braid yet! Its expensive, but i can cast a country mile. Do i use a mono leader on them? No! If im trolling, yes. The line will mess up your guides. But i havent seen it in 10 years of using it. Ive heard people say the fish can see the line. Well i have caught more fish than the person that said that, in the same boat!!!! I get grief about using braid all the time!!!! But you know what, i catch fish!!!! Sometimes it sucks, (snags). But i hooked into a huge fish and i lost it, but my line didnt break!!! I pulled in the lip of the lure i was using!!!!! The lure pulled apart!! not the line!!!! Surface fishing? cant go wrong! Anything finesse? maybe put a leader on. (Mike drop!)

Don

Randy I put 8lb poewrpro onto my one reel and it is nice. I have no complaints except cutting it is tough. PAbassman mentioned cutters that he uses and that would solve the problems but I just haven't gotten there yet. Unlike many of you I use a mono or floro leader.

Bootfoot

Nothing special needed to cut braid. This is what I carry and they cut braid with no issue at all. I have them in my bag, on my boat, in my pack, and at my world HQ. At less than four bucks apiece you can have a pair stashed everywhere.

Gremcat

I'm flexible. I can be a loser at many things at once. Your honor please not that the witness has refused to answer the question.
Braid? I tried something like that for my 8 yo at gymnastics. That mess fell apart and her coach wasn’t nice about her fixing so she went all class in her face. Braids are for old grumpy frumpy washed up gymnasts and rebels salmon fishing in Pulaski. Used it on a trout rod 20 years ago and tried top shelf this year. About like I remembered it and won’t try again in another 20 when I grow old. Copolymer is close behind braid heading for overpriced dumpster.

I cave to A-5 and will be respooling with Trilene or similar. Even $35-50/150 yards doesn’t buy you performance sadly.

Gremcat

What's wrong with my advice you go from panfish to regular bass. Now your going for something that's 30 times bigger of course you need to step up the weight. I wouldn't tell you 6lb weight if your going for a 30lb fish. Haha.
Hey hey, caught my first king, a 45” specimen on 4 or 6 lbs Seaguar. I’ve 8 and 10 but that’s for pin when using shot line, etc. catch everything on 4 or 6. Carp, salmon, steelhead, bass, pickerel, even northern. These days I go light before heavy

Reactions: Don

Bootfoot

I find it hard to believe there is anybody out there who doesn’t like braid over any form of mono. I find it equally hard to believe that the five braid hating anglers left in the world all found this site. i do use trilene for all my leaders even for fly fishing but that’s it. I have some reels that have had the same line on for a decade. The lack of a memory is one of its best attributes. Nothing worse then the process and expense of spooling mono on a reel 5 times a year. You five guys need to get with the program and watch your catch rate double.

Don

To sophisticated for some. I guess you’ll never get us.
Do you run any 6 lb braid on you’re lite reels or are all your reels Warn Winches? I’ve been looking at 6 lb for my size twenty Abu Cardinal.

For Those of you from RioLinda (Rush) this is a warn winch. Braid rated too...
0005681_winches-hoists.jpeg

Last edited:

Don

Boot, I Like aspects of braid but will never fish it leaderless, its a complete mess near woody brush. When I miss the mark on a cast and it wraps around and around supple wooden twigs and all fishing stops until I reveal my position and go free it. With mono, and even more so Floro, there is rarely a time when it wraps round and round on twig... simple plug knockers of some sort get you free. The cure for this is a simple. I attach a sacrificial tippet of lighter mono or floro. Just like when I fly fish.

Biggest problem with any line is that I can't see most of todays line. Eyes are aging I guess but Chartruece, green and Orange lines help a bit.

Lastly I use pushbutton allot to ferret out the small areas and to do bank work. I use the smoother and older rebuilt reels and their pickup pins are not rated for braid. That is why I started the Spincast thread as at least one Spincast company got the memo. Fortunately for the older reels Mono has come a long way.

Bootfoot

I don’t fish it leaderless either. I always have a 5 to 10’ mono or flouro leader tied to the end. I also don’t fish with anything less than 10lb. I don’t own any light or ultralight outfits and prefer fly fishing over micro jigs and such. My love of braid also means i have a love of modern fishing equipment. There’s no way I would ever fish with a push button or old Mitchell reel ever again And to that end, if I did I would not spool them with braid. I have a couple old Mitchells and took one out a few years ago. I quickly learned why it sat unused for decades in my rafters. they flat out suck compared to a modern reel.

Bootfoot

Again so passionate and completely miserable
Who me? I’m the happiest guy in the world. I’ve never in my life experienced a miserable moment. Passionate yes, Truthful yes. Outspoken yes. to the point yes. Miserable, no way.

Don

I don’t fish it leaderless either. I always have a 5 to 10’ mono or flouro leader tied to the end. I also don’t fish with anything less than 10lb. I don’t own any light or ultralight outfits and prefer fly fishing over micro jigs and such. My love of braid also means i have a love of modern fishing equipment. There’s no way I would ever fish with a push button or old Mitchell reel ever again And to that end, if I did I would not spool them with braid. I have a couple old Mitchells and took one out a few years ago. I quickly learned why it sat unused for decades in my rafters. they flat out suck compared to a modern reel.
Well. I know what ya mean. I will go lower than 10 for specific reasons. The one I have 8 braid on is awesome but the leader makes it sweeter.
As for the old reels and so forth. Yeah. I know how ya feel. Since your old Mitchels are so miserable send them to me and I’ll fish them cause they’re horrible and I hate them as well. I deserve to drown in sorrow. I hate all old stuff. it’s no good. Can’t even enjoy it for its historical perspective. Its wrong. Yuck.
Even though I can cast and reset at twice the rate of a spinning reel with the spincast reel and with much more accuracy how dare I. Even though Im older and suffered some injuries and arthritis and this works better for me the nerve of me liking them, lol. Warnings to the nut that is happy for me, yuck yuck yuck.
Braid is nice most of the time but I still want a bright color. Send me the goods. 🎣🙏🏻

truecrimson

Well. I know what ya mean. I will go lower than 10 for specific reasons. The one I have 8 braid on is awesome but the leader makes it sweeter.
As for the old reels and so forth. Yeah. I know how ya feel. Since your old Mitchels are so miserable send them to me and I’ll fish them cause they’re horrible and I hate them as well. I deserve to drown in sorrow. I hate all old stuff. it’s no good. Can’t even enjoy it for its historical perspective. Its wrong. Yuck.
Even though I can cast and reset at twice the rate of a spinning reel with the spincast reel and with much more accuracy how dare I. Even though Im older and suffered some injuries and arthritis and this works better for me the nerve of me liking them, lol. Warnings to the nut that is happy for me, yuck yuck yuck.
Braid is nice most of the time but I still want a bright color. Send me the goods. 🎣🙏🏻
And all of that applies to me about guns. If anyone has any old guns that are outdated and obsolete send them to me. Especially that junk anyone's ancestors brought back from wars. You don't want that evil stuff around. I'll even pay the transfers on any handguns. Heck I might even let Blackcat shoulder some of the burden ;) ;) ;)

I love light and ultralight fishing. I love 6LB test mono.

A-5

I’m not a trophy goes to all the kids. I’m also not against respectfully disagreeing. But knowing Don is a collector of said reels, I would hope maybe saying I tried using the push button and I’m not a fan. Maybe there’s a better way to get your point across without looking like well I’ll pass on what it looks like. I pride this site as a unbelievable friendly and a positive site. It is sure different than all others. I would like to keep it that way.