Braid, There I said it!

Gremcat

I find it hard to believe there is anybody out there who doesn’t like braid over any form of mono. I find it equally hard to believe that the five braid hating anglers left in the world all found this site. i do use trilene for all my leaders even for fly fishing but that’s it. I have some reels that have had the same line on for a decade. The lack of a memory is one of its best attributes. Nothing worse then the process and expense of spooling mono on a reel 5 times a year. You five guys need to get with the program and watch your catch rate double.
I started with braid in late 90’s thinking fish couldn’t see the green color. It hasn’t changed much since and arguably got worse. We can argue the material science behind it but a slick coating regardless of how less trendy it is will always be superior in my view. I’ve tried a bunch of braids since and similar levels of fail.

Full disclosure I don’t use spincast, baitcast, or most other ‘cast reels do that might explain it.

Gremcat

I’m not a trophy goes to all the kids. I’m also not against respectfully disagreeing. But knowing Don is a collector of said reels, I would hope maybe saying I tried using the push button and I’m not a fan. Maybe there’s a better way to get your point across without looking like well I’ll pass on what it looks like. I pride this site as a unbelievable friendly and a positive site. It is sure different than all others. I would like to keep it that way.
Is Mitchell even still in business?

Gremcat

And all of that applies to me about guns. If anyone has any old guns that are outdated and obsolete send them to me. Especially that junk anyone's ancestors brought back from wars. You don't want that evil stuff around. I'll even pay the transfers on any handguns. Heck I might even let Blackcat shoulder some of the burden ;) ;) ;)

I love light and ultralight fishing. I love 6LB test mono.
Umm, 6 lbs and ultralight? Dang ditch pickle fishermen. 4 lbs is light, goes down from there. I cringe when water is mud and fish are 12lbs+ so I UPSIZE to 6lbs.

Don

I started with braid in late 90’s thinking fish couldn’t see the green color. It hasn’t changed much since and arguably got worse. We can argue the material science behind it but a slick coating regardless of how less trendy it is will always be superior in my view. I’ve tried a bunch of braids since and similar levels of fail.

Full disclosure I don’t use spincast, baitcast, or most other ‘cast reels do that might explain it.
I think you're doing fine.

Gremcat

You get spincast on your rod choice and 10 lbs test. I get my homemade line setup on whichever reel type Im Feeling lucky with.

Grew up with a pile of zebcos and a few my uncle had new line on where untouchable. Mitchell’s where the rich guy stuff. My dad was so sophisticated he had a spinning reel we called “open face”. Black magic, uncastable to the unwashed like me.

Reactions: Don

Don

You get spincast on your rod choice and 10 lbs test. I get my homemade line setup on whichever reel type Im Feeling lucky with.

Grew up with a pile of zebcos and a few my uncle had new line on where untouchable. Mitchell’s where the rich guy stuff. My dad was so sophisticated he had a spinning reel we called “open face”. Black magic, uncastable to the unwashed like me.
I will be using 6 or 8 lb mono

Gremcat

Z can build me an xxx fast action one piece ul blank at 12’+ I’ll cover the line with Teflon impregnated lube and probably use a centerpin reel and a million lbs of weight.

Don

Umm, 6 lbs and ultralight? Dang ditch pickle fishermen. 4 lbs is light, goes down from there. I cringe when water is mud and fish are 12lbs+ so I UPSIZE to 6lbs
Now remember that up until now I only use these rigs for pitching, skipping and panfishing. The fact that I caught lots of bass on them is merely a sign that I'm fishing the right spots. 10 lb is way too heavy for these uses and on these reels. Its what the box stores demand and is part of the reason people have issues.
I mainly use a nice Shimano(with 8lb braid) and a nice Abu Cardinal (6bl mono) for jerk baits and so forth. Then the bait casters, one Abu Black Max(40 lb braid), one royal legend w/braid and one Royal w/12lb Big Game.

Last edited:

Bootfoot

I’m not a trophy goes to all the kids. I’m also not against respectfully disagreeing. But knowing Don is a collector of said reels, I would hope maybe saying I tried using the push button and I’m not a fan. Maybe there’s a better way to get your point across without looking like well I’ll pass on what it looks like. I pride this site as a unbelievable friendly and a positive site. It is sure different than all others. I would like to keep it that way.
nothing said was negative or unfriendly. Just that I (emphasis on I) find old reels suck in comparison to modern reels and that I wouldn’t fish with a push button reel. It’s being said to set the stage on my thoughts on spooling old reels with braid. I’m not sure why that is anymore unfriendly or negative than saying one likes old reels and push button reels. I was also offering that braid was not intended for old reels suggesting braid was not the best option for those that want to fish with old reels. Again, nothing negative or unfriendly. its not even a disagreement.

Blackcat Outdoors

And all of that applies to me about guns. If anyone has any old guns that are outdated and obsolete send them to me. Especially that junk anyone's ancestors brought back from wars. You don't want that evil stuff around. I'll even pay the transfers on any handguns. Heck I might even let Blackcat shoulder some of the burden ;) ;) ;)

I love light and ultralight fishing. I love 6LB test mono.
I'm your huckleberry. 😂

Blackcat Outdoors

I just spooled some spyderwire stealth braid the other day to give it a shot. I'll use it for bass rods, some of my salt water stuff, and the new baitcaster I'm playing with. I use mostly mono though for my spinning gear.