Cape May NJ next week, Charters/species recommendation?

Gremcat

Fly to Louisville in AM, back Wed to leave with fam for Cape May Thurs. Supposed to do something for my recent uncelebrated 40th. Any recommendations on species or types of charters to look at? Might be too short notice to book but looking now. My 10 yo wants to try crab digging?? I looked at crabbing trips too but think they start in June. If Marlin where around I might spring for $2250 long distance charter. Think it’s 40 hours or something. I saw a few trolling harbor deals and that’s more what I’m thinking right now. Most first timers/kids like trolling better than other styles I’ve found.

Gremcat

Not a huge fan of NJ but haven’t been to Cape May or even NJ beaches in 15 years or more. Not sure what the area is like. I’m sort of spoiled by lower OBX, SC Sea Islands, etc.

A-5

my grandmother lived in north Cape May. We used the party boat the Seas star fleat at the time.

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
Right now, Drum is the target species in Cape May. A friend was down this past week for their annual drum trip but they only landed 3. A far cry less than past years. Like other species, patterns are off this year. There may be chance you could catch a early Mahi trip but you’d have to check with local captains, water temps may still be too cold. See Bass and Fluke are in play as well.

Gremcat

Right now, Drum is the target species in Cape May. A friend was down this past week for their annual drum trip but they only landed 3. A far cry less than past years. Like other species, patterns are off this year. There may be chance you could catch a early Mahi trip but you’d have to check with local captains, water temps may still be too cold. See Bass and Fluke are in play as well.
Anything being caught trolling? Sounds like if I want that I might be looking at Canyons for tuna as my only option? Kite fishing might be fun too.

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
Anything being caught trolling? Sounds like if I want that I might be looking at Canyons for tuna as my only option? Kite fishing might be fun too.
Offshore I am out of the game but….Tuna should be right off of Long Island right now. I’m sure canyon runs will yield too.

Gremcat

Offshore I am out of the game but….Tuna should be right off of Long Island right now. I’m sure canyon runs will yield too.
Yeah, offshore runs like that are way too long (and pricey considering fuel is extra) I don’t see my 6 yo lasting 20-30 hrs and landing 4-600 lbs fish. Saw some inshore kite deals but most start June 1. I messaged a few charters from a 4 hr crab on trot line deal to trolling for smaller pelagic fish. Pretty short notice on a busy weekend so we’ll see.