Carolina Rigs

Don

Historically these rigs have been tied in the the field. I see some folks tie them so that the egg sinker does not travel very far if at all. Do any of you peg the egg on your Carolina Riggs? How long are your leaders? Below are some example of pre-tied commercially available versions.
Thoughts?

Attachments

• 4517C093-7899-43E7-8DE6-DD496FCE58CE.jpeg
    4517C093-7899-43E7-8DE6-DD496FCE58CE.jpeg
    6 KB · Views: 5
  • CC4153DF-3FFC-4DE9-B9A6-1905C04B7715.jpeg
    CC4153DF-3FFC-4DE9-B9A6-1905C04B7715.jpeg
    7.9 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
I don’t use them often but I’d rather rig in the field basing leader length off of the depth the fish are sitting.

Reactions: Don

Don

He said he doesn't do shows, he was pretty emphatic. Besides you should be at Job #7.

Reactions: A-5

Don

I don’t use them often but I’d rather rig in the field basing leader length off of the depth the fish are sitting.
I have watched some videos about this very subject. Seems there are some that peg them but is seem counter productive. How far d o yo think that the fish travels after picking up your bait and the hook digs in? I bet it is less than 2"

Solitario Lupo

With weight attached to the line. Might not get far. A slip sinker where it slides can get a couple feet before the hook set. Then there's that open bail method. Let them swim then hook.

Don

I do open bail for Hybrids. works., especially on th Nock.

Last edited:

Don

I hope to conquer some of the weedy locations I visit. Case in point I know that at places like Gouldsboro the fish can't go deeper no matter the temp as the deepest spot I have found is very small and only seven' deep. A significant portion of the lake is btwn 4' and 6' and the rest is 2-4'. By mid July probably 80% is covered by weed or Mat. I want to incorporate all kinds of tools to beat this lake. Among these tricks will be various baits on Carolina or Texas Rigs. I tend to switch baits and lures allot and to save my lines this year I want to pre-tie a number of rigs and store them on some sort of device such as what Lindy sells. I'll start by tying a snap swivel onto the end of my line. The rig will consist of a split ring and 3'' of 12 lb big game. On the other end a bullet weight will slide on followed by a gold or red glass ball and ending with a barrel swivel. At this point a leader of 18-24" will be added to the swivel and the appropriate hook on the bitter end. The leader will probably be a copolymer mono by Suffix. 8or 10 lb will do.
Below I show a rendition using 40lb braid and 12 lb Big Game. I only used the braid for visibility in this photo. I reality I will use 12lb running line with an 8 or 10lb leader. In this example the hook is tipped with a 5" Zoom on a #1 worm hook. This rig should allow me greater freedom to fish in and out of the weeds. The bullet weight is 3/8"
What do you think?IMG_5687.jpegtempImagekQDZKh.png

Last edited:

A-5

I fish Carolina rigs in open water. Deep creek channels if you can find them. I don’t throw them In Weeds.

Don

Well maybe we can all learn something here. I’ll be the guinea pig so to speak.

Melvinp

The only problem I see is when you get the whole thing on the end of your rod are you going to be able to cast it.I tried casting a spinning worm rig and it didn’t go over well even with a 10ft rod I just drop it over the edge and let line out my rigs are about 4 feet in length.Not saying it can’t be done just watch your rod and rig length.

Reactions: Don

Don

40 yrs ago I used to use this rig on the Delaware at night looking for catfish. I had no issues casting it but the weights were 2oz.
For bass on Gouldsboro a cast is merely a short lobb up and down small lanes of open water.

Don

Yes I agree but in this water the longer casts just gets you hung up as there are branches and other crap down there. These will be nonchalant lobbs here and there. Think of it as punching on the move. What would you use on the end?

Don

Sure I have. I’m fond of several. This discussion is about Carolina Rigs. Each tool has its purpose.

Imagine:
the day turned out to be hot and miserable. Locust Lake. The sun is nearly straight above. Weeds are completely covering the surface and the fish are not hitting the surface. Nothing is visible. Plus I dumped my bags overboard, by accident and TC’s bags too. All I have Is a hand full of the parts to make carolina rigs and no other choice. Will you quit and Join A-5 at the ice cream stand? If you stay how will you put your rig together?