Carolina Rigs

A-5

All true but weeds on locust. Clean wheedless lake.

Occasionally under water weeds. But general weed free

Ice cream on the other hand. Banging

Do. Musky at the sister lake. Tusky. Way more your speed. May need two batteries that day

Don

All true but weeds on locust. Clean wheedless lake.

Occasionally under water weeds. But general weed free

Ice cream on the other hand. Banging

Do. Musky at the sister lake. Tusky. Way more your speed. May need two batteries that day
Yup, but don't tell anybody how nice the water is as its already busy there. Tusky has great musky going on. The Ice cream is good enough to go there for that alone. I want to try this at tusky. They call for a size 11 hook.

1672438836588.png

Solitario Lupo

First off hot and sunny days. I've already learned its going to be a tough day fishing so really I wouldn't go all out. Probably just find me in some shade sitting there.

If I get from what your saying about the lake I wouldn't even use weight unless I needed it sink fast. I would try dragging it across surface and let it sink in the open areas around the brush. Let the weight of the lure do it's thing. If I was casting into the open areas then some weight to keep it there for a little. But my weight would be a lot closer than the Carolina rig. Like a couple inches up.
If that's the case tho nothing else I would quit and go to the ice cream shop.

Melvinp

Sure I have. I’m fond of several. This discussion is about Carolina Rigs. Each tool has its purpose.

Imagine:
the day turned out to be hot and miserable. Locust Lake. The sun is nearly straight above. Weeds are completely covering the surface and the fish are not hitting the surface. Nothing is visible. Plus I dumped my bags overboard, by accident and TC’s bags too. All I have Is a hand full of the parts to make carolina rigs and no other choice. Will you quit and Join A-5 at the ice cream stand? If you stay how will you put your rig together?
That’s why you need everything all the time had to finally break down and get a boat to haul my tackle box around lol

Don

Nope... they bite what I give them. I carry less and less all the time lol
Yes. That will be the result in another year or two. I've pretty much decided what Rods, reels and line I prefer. In another year I'll know what baits I prefer. Buy 2025 I hope to be down to 5 0r 6 rigs, baited and ready on board and greatly diminished spare tackle and tackle boxes.

A-5

I'd join A5.
I’m seriously just counting days of Lilly pad fields full of bass.

Bassman. How long does it take for bass to settle into the pads. I didn’t start to figure pads out until July. Shad spawn? Or a natural progression and spread out of the pads? To be fair I literally this year made a effort to dive into pads deep and was rewarded. My deep game is no. Existing I can’t figure it out

pabassman

Idk?? I'd say after the spawn. As soon ad they bloom I would be in them. July August into Sept are prime. My deep game isnt strong in the summer. Late fall early winter its deep or stay home so I adapt. I'm talking Harveys smallies in the cold. I'm sure largies stay shallower than we think in the winter. I've caught 4 bass thru the ice so far and all 8 to 11 feet deep.

Don

I was at Merrill today hiking around to find unfrozen walk-in areas. I don’t want to wait. I’ve been told smallies hit hard along riprap on sunny winter days.
In the pkg lot there was only one trailer. So one hardy soul was after the lakers and salmon.

A-5

Idk?? I'd say after the spawn. As soon ad they bloom I would be in them. July August into Sept are prime. My deep game isnt strong in the summer. Late fall early winter its deep or stay home so I adapt. I'm talking Harveys smallies in the cold. I'm sure largies stay shallower than we think in the winter. I've caught 4 bass thru the ice so far and all 8 to 11 feet deep.
Summer I blind cast and can catch some. But my numbers went way up. Waaay up diving into the pads. I used to flip edges. But I literally went In Casting past the point of dumbness. So 30’ in dropping through the smallest holes to large holes. Of course I hit days they didn’t want to play but 1day I hit like 6-7. That never happened to me in July on my home lake which is absolutely hammered with tournaments and people. If I watch people they don’t dive deep into pads they flip and run 10’ maybe. I’ve only seen like 1 guy flip properly there maybe. Others cruise up down 40’ off pads cast to the pads and leave

When they do that I giggle.

Don

Ii agree with you. That last guy was me. 30-40’ away and move on. In the pads at Gouldsboro the water is less than 1-2’ deep. I highly doubt they would go in there during the day. The water is over 85 through august on the outside of the pads so I imagine it is even warmer in the pads and shallow water.
On the Nock the pads north of Hracock ramp and rt 563 are in 4-6’ and I could understand them taking refuge in the the deeper darkness.
Now imaging those same conditions with coontail Mat. Almost impossible. I got some attention by castin Kieteck across the top. This was late season and I didn’t get to practice much. This coming year I plan to do it Again but with 1/4 oz bitsy jig and small trailer. Once again the target is panfish and pickerel.

Reactions: A-5

pabassman

Summer I blind cast and can catch some. But my numbers went way up. Waaay up diving into the pads. I used to flip edges. But I literally went In Casting past the point of dumbness. So 30’ in dropping through the smallest holes to large holes. Of course I hit days they didn’t want to play but 1day I hit like 6-7. That never happened to me in July on my home lake which is absolutely hammered with tournaments and people. If I watch people they don’t dive deep into pads they flip and run 10’ maybe. I’ve only seen like 1 guy flip properly there maybe. Others cruise up down 40’ off pads cast to the pads and leave

When they do that I giggle.
I have two friends that will go way in the heavy stuff on Fords lake, Stevens lake, and Carey. A push pole is needed its so thick. Very shallow water too. Frogging and flipping. Hit the edge early in the morning the right into the jungle.

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
I seen a YouTube video last month where the “Pro” stated that if a lake has pads, regardless of time of year, that is where they relate. He further explained to just follow the growth and not the season.

I get the feeling Nox is like that. Not that they can’t be found elsewhere but I have seen areas that should be very fishy but are vacant when the pads are in full swing.

Don

Sounds cool. I just use an oar to push around. I wonder if that is where the big pickerel go as well?