Centerpin Stuff

Don

I don't know, its sad I guess but it seems that centerpin reels were designed for the simple folks....you know...the ones that need bobbers and don't understand drags systems and other controls. That being said I've been trying to learn more about it so that I can be more of a help to these folks when their chips are down and you find them stewing about on the sidelines.
A few questions:
  1. I pretty much only lake fish so am I missing anything by not using these specialty rods and reels?
  2. for starter rigs in order to try it could one just dis-able the drag on an old fly reel and wind on the appropriate line?
  3. What type of rods are used?
  4. Are they usually stiff right to the tip?
  5. What type of line is used
  6. is there such a thing as a $50 reel?
Any other advice would be appreciated.

Solitario Lupo

No your not missing nothing. It works with current so I don’t think lake fishing will be the best for pins.

The rod is a long spinning rod with a couple very big guides at the bottom. The center pin reel is just round. So you fly reel might work but it can’t have no bars that your line rest on. The line needs to be able to come off the spool free with no hang ups.
Line is just a heavy mono with a leader. I would think it’s basic formula.

I’m sure it can get some good sales on them but what I see are very expensive.

Don

Well it’s because on arthritis that makes me fish from a boat. So the only way this type of fishing would help me is if I’m anchored out in a stream or river in the boat. Perhaps for walleye or small mouth. I guess fly reels work well enough for that. Guess I see Center pin as a salomonid tool pretty much.

Solitario Lupo

It pretty much is used for steelhead and salmon fishing cause of a lot of fishing for them is drifting in the creeks and rivers when they spawn. That’s what it was created for. Floating roe.

Don

It pretty much is used for steelhead and salmon fishing cause of a lot of fishing for them is drifting in the creeks and rivers when they spawn. That’s what it was created for. Floating roe.
I learned more from you today than I have from Centerpin fishermen for the last year. Thanks...Floating Roe. Cool.

Solitario Lupo

What it does instead of the bobber stopping and your bait floats to the top they float together which keeps your bait down in the water column.

Lake fishing you really don’t have that. Plus if you want to let it float on it’s own just use a spinning set up and open the bail up. Just gotta be ready for a good hook up.

Reactions: Don

HenryDavid

Similar to Euro Nymphing, drag free drift. Ususally only from the up-cast to the end of your down drift, unless you extend the drift by throwing a lot of slack line. The center pinner just lets the line flow, zero resistance.

A-5

There is a opinion you can’t bottom bounc with a centerpin. You absolutely can. You can fish any type of bait jig whatever. Action lures probably not the best. But throw the clicker on and fish normal.

A-5

I have one for pa trout. The only difference is the clicker. It’s not the best. But actual centerpin use is perfectly fine.

Gremcat

See people use them for catfish and all kinds of other stuff. I’ve read Europe Carp was the start. I know they are nuts about carp there. All kinds of crazy contraptions to catch them. I saw a show where 4 famous European personalities fished ones private lake for 3-4 varieties. I like carp fishing the Erie Canal spillways in western NY. They circle under the spillway falls and go berserk when hooked with long tail walks. The few big ones I’ve caught here went deep and long instead.

truecrimson

Carp fishing in England very popular.
I love UFO abduction videos with any gear.

"I had just found this bunch of tasty stuff on the bottom when suddenly I was pulled toward the surface by an irresistible unknown force. I could see a bright light above me. Then I was lifted out of the water. There was a strange alien there. The alien examined me. I don't kno9w how long I was out of the water. Then they put me back in. I wonder what those weird aliens are doing to us?"

I see the center pin guys are as bad as boaters for hogging up space. A yakker can't even get in there and cast to those bridge pylons cause the center pin guy is hogging the whole area. ;)

Gremcat

Favorite thing I read on a Flyfishing forum.

“I was working up my favorite section and a Bobber floated around the bend. I chuckled to myself at the schmuck losing his tackle. Then I walked around the bend and a F****** Centerpin guy had covered the best run from 200 yards upriver” Lol,,,

Reactions: A-5

Gremcat

My last trip, #2 I was down to casting across the river right in synch with a few other guys. Only waffled a few casts though I had modified the cast 3-4 different ways copying the other guys. One young guy caught 10 to any one else getting 1. He had a thoughtless snap to his cast and hit exactly on the edge of a ledge then somehow worked the floats drift so rather than have his presentation down river he had it under the ledge across from him. I could barely hold my line off water myself. I did think I had quickly adopted the cast.

Then a few weeks ago I tried it on the Blood Run 11’6” ish trout float rod and I had maybe 2 short casts out of 20 attempts. I did finally manage my first trout though. I’m hoping it’s the short rod since I seem to drop my rod forward too much casting. I’m thinking it’s less noticeable on the 14’ rod or I just had to get better to not tangle up everyone. The prior trips I would cross the others so I didn’t mess them up too bad. Everyone in Erie uses some type of float.