Clouser

Don

Ya'awl know I'm a new tier. I stumble with directions, I have little instinct and wouldn't trust it if I did. But I'm getting better. I've come to realize how important proportion is....sometimes I have it and sometimes I don't. Historically all eyes were crowded and the heads were huge. Much of the time the fish don't care but in the case of The Clouser I feel that the fish do really care. So for the last two nights I've spent my time at the vice with Bob Clouser videos playing as I tie. Trying to get rid of bad habits. There are two issues I'm having trouble with: 1) Keeping the head to a small taper and 2) keeping the hair sparse. I here it again and again to keep it sparce.
Critique welcome:

Attachments

• IMG_4913.jpeg
    IMG_4913.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4915.jpeg
    IMG_4915.jpeg
    598.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4914.jpeg
    IMG_4914.jpeg
    823.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1323.jpeg
    IMG_1323.jpeg
    99.2 KB · Views: 3

Solitario Lupo

As for the head use thinner thread or just don’t wrap to much when you start.

For the hair not laying flatter take and behind the eyes make two wraps loose to just hold the hair down then tie tight up front.

Reactions: Don

Melvinp

To help with the contour of the tread try cutting your buck tail ends at a angle(this will help when creating the thread nose cone and dont be afraid to let the hair go a little crazy i actually like them better that way.I dont always make my tie down point behind the eyes very long allowing the hair to puff out more.

Don

They all wet out nicely and should pulse appropriately. I'll try even more of an angle. I have to beat this.
I would use them. The fish don't know what a clouser is supposed to look like!
send me an address. but I get half the catch.

Attachments

• IMG_4945.jpeg
    IMG_4945.jpeg
    775.4 KB · Views: 1

Melvinp

This is what I mean and if you cut towards your fingers instead of cutting away you will get a cleaner angled cut

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1

Don

I see it and I saw Flagler and Clouser do it. But I still need a longer angle. Thanks for re-inforcing the need.

Melvinp

Really can’t say better better will be when a fish is hanging from it lol just let the deer hair fly till your happy that’s all that matters in the end and of course catching fish

Melvinp

If you use a hair stacker you can pretty them up a little more but I’m not saying they will work better

Melvinp

The biggest thing with clousers is good long straight buck tail

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1

Don

Big Eyes! nice. but if I use them at Gouldsboro I'll be on the bottom lickety-split......caught in weeds. I needed to find light enough weights to allow getting stripping before it sinks too far. I used a puddle of red nail polishing used tweezers to hold and dip the eyes...they came out nice.
I saw where Bob Clouser said to use the upper straight hairs however for these size 6 and under I'm using olive deer over white calf. My 6/0 white thread is too transparent and the heads look messier that they are.
I really like to work with calf and really like the curlyness. My preference for any size has been Kraft Fur for it movement underwater.
But what do I know? That's why I'm asking yawl.
Thanks

Melvinp

Big Eyes! nice. but if I use them at Gouldsboro I'll be on the bottom lickety-split......caught in weeds. I needed to find light enough weights to allow getting stripping before it sinks too far. I used a puddle of red nail polishing used tweezers to hold and dip the eyes...they came out nice.
I saw where Bob Clouser said to use the upper straight hairs however for these size 6 and under I'm using olive deer over white calf. My 6/0 white thread is too transparent and the heads look messier that they are.
I really like to work with calf and really like the curlyness. My preference for any size has been Kraft Fur for it movement underwater.
But what do I know? That's why I'm asking yawl.
Thanks
Lol medium brass eyes size 4 3366 mustad hook actually pretty light considering the eyes lead would be heavier

Melvinp

Lol medium brass eyes size 4 3366 mustad hook actually pretty light considering the eyes lead would be heavier
If you are looking for a little curl try some squirrel tail it works well too just a little thinner then calf tail options are endless

Melvinp

you will see a big difference between the buck tails you get some are straight some have a crinkle to them. I like to mix the two between top and bottom crinkled top straight bottom. Straight on the bottom helps keep the hair away from the hook crinkled on top gives size without bulk

Don

I'll check that out. Bucktail and feathers of any sort are things I usually buy from a shop instead of online so perhaps I'll be able to see a difference.
As Im determined to get this right I fished half of them today. On a couple of them the top olive ducktail was was too little and it affected the way the fly rode submerged. They rode on their side. The rest were okay.