Cold weather stuff

Don

It has dawned on me that I can't take the cold anymore and now I have to visit the High Country out west in my sales travels.
-What do you folks wear for a coat when it is really cold and windy?
-Does anyone wear StrikeMaster Gear from bass pro? Does the built-in flotation get in the way when sitting around?
-Any recommendations?

My thoughts were to buy a coat that I can wear for casual this year and then next fall I'll buy warm bibs to go with. There is no way I could Ice fish with the clothing I have now.

Blackcat Outdoors

I'm not much of an ice fisherman, but for really cold days outdoors I wear Carhartt stuff still. Insulated bibs/jacket. I've never found anything warmer even though the stuff is heavy. I'm pretty warm blooded, but the older I get, the more I notice the cold.

truecrimson

I wear Carhartt hoodies, scrubs and T shirts. The next time I buy a coat I will likely look at Carhartt. The last coat I bought was a pea style Fleetstreet from Kohls. I've had it for something between 5 and 10 years. I like it so much I have had it repaired a couple of times. I don't ice fish so I don't know m stuff would do for that. Maybe this year I'll find out.

Solitario Lupo

Get some long johns are thermal underwear. If going ice fishing thick jacket, hoodie, some kinda bid snow pants, warm thick socks, boots, waterproof gloves, hat or something to cover your head or ears. Then bring some spare clothes just in case you need them or get wet.

Another thing I found ice fishing helps a lot is some kinda hut or shelter like a tent. It blocks the wind and believe it or not it is warmer in there.

HenryDavid

Solitario Lupo has it !! Underlayers make a huge difference. The idea is to use synthetic base layer which is generally thinner material that can wick up moisture keeping you dry. Then the medium layer - a little thicker, next the heavier stuff, and then your snow pants or whatever. Merino wool socks and even sock liners help as well. Nothing wrong with wearing long underwear in normal daytime activities, work or wherever.

Don

On the right track, I guess. I always wear wicking style base layers from Cabelas, bean or lands end. hollow fiber polyester. My week point seems to be wind and claustrophobia. Jeans and cotton shirts are being phased out as they aren't wind proof and offer very little insulation. I've added non-cotton sweaters and want to add a long warm jacket and bibs. I hear Carhart allot and I've been there/done that years ago...too stiff, too heavy and too water absorbant. I want to skip the jeans and wear the bibs as primary when out in the wind fishing. So the bibs need to be fitted and windproof. I'm okay on footwear for now.
More on this later. Thanks everyone.

HenryDavid

I've found that a neck gaitor makes a world of difference, that and a headband or something covering your ears. I agree that Carhart is good gear for hunting but if you're around water - moisture it's not ideal. Snow pants or bibs for skiing seem to work well for me.

Gremcat

For hunting KUIU/Sitka/Firstlight, they make some waterproof stuff too. For fishing I just use synthetic layer maybe, merino or fleece long Johns, fleece sweater, and a decent hat. Gloves I wear a pair of latex surgical gloves and if it’s real cold a pair of fingerless rag wool gloves over them. I do wear thicker neoprene waders in water which helps. Have the ECWS2 set mostly besides the water proof layer and fleece layer. I could see that set working well on a budget. I spend a bit of time in single digits but carhartt is more yard work honestly.

Don

I got a great parka and wool dress socks. I have expedition longies and tops. I think I'll be fine now. Thanks for the help.

Don

Yes. He doesn't know it but since he invited me a year ago I plan to drop in on one young Henry David at some point after the holidays. That will be the test!

Melvinp

I’ve got some gander socks that are extra long come above my knees very helpful on a cold day and I used to be 6 ft

HenryDavid

Yes. He doesn't know it but since he invited me a year ago I plan to drop in on one young Henry David at some point after the holidays. That will be the test!
Surprise, I'm probably just a short breath younger than you and 10 years slower. Frances Slocum fished well last ice season, I plan on spending a good amount of time on it this season.

HenryDavid

I think I've purchased from them before. I've heard a lot of good things about their Gear Guide line. It's shocking how Under Armor under-layers are 300% more expensive. I have a couple UA pieces I bought at Dicks and they are good but $50 better? I don't think so. The best mid and heavy layers I've owned were Rocky's. They are harder to find now but Walmart used to sell them for $20 a set. Many of the other brands are decent quality but they run super small. For merino wool socks Ocean State Job Lot has them at $3.99 a pair, I stocked up last season and they've held up well.

Reactions: Don

pabassman

Surprise, I'm probably just a short breath younger than you and 10 years slower. Frances Slocum fished well last ice season, I plan on spending a good amount of time on it this season.
I'm dragging you to Prompton at least once. We will show no quarter to the calico and gills :D