Crazy PA Taxes

Gremcat

No problem taxing everything in sight. Overpay $5k to cover a dividend and they don’t want to refund. I don’t track financials but wife commented months ago it was taking awhile. Came up in convo today and she said the only change was the “8 week wait” is now saying “12-16 weeks”. It was her investment and I can never convince her interest free loans to .Gov are a bad idea. She paid at highest level and added extra “just in case”. Umm,,,in case what? Lol.

In any event, if I owed they’d have hit me with fines and penalties by now. I read it’s something to do with the Covid relief they are doing. They are setup to accrue revenue but not issue payments or something. Sounds about right,,,,

While I’m ranting what kind of crap is the “Occupational Privilege Tax”?!? “We provide services that allow you to work, trash service, road maintenance, etc.” Ummm,,, pretty sure those are covered in other fees and taxes. Apparently started when jobs where inherited from parents as a form of inheritance tax.

I even found an old news article from 90’s that the owner of my house then was upset the Borough doubled his tax bill because “He could afford it”. Guess I inherited that same tax burden,,,,,, I swear you can’t make it up.

truecrimson

I have been bitching about the Occupational Privilege Tax since 2002 when I arrived in PA. And they wonder why people hate the government.

Gremcat

Yeah, nothing like paying for the honor of going to work everyday. I feel so privileged. 😋
I read it’s capped for state and Borough/city but school isn’t capped. If I read it right that’s 3 taxes to groups that already tax me. I pay private tuition for my kids and she transports so not sure I’m a drain on their resources. With the rental, we have voluntarily paid commercial trash as well as the 10% hotel tax(many STRs skip these to make more money) I honestly don’t want to add up my tax burden. It’ll just irritate I suspect. My limited interactions locally have been mixed but some things legally required in 10 days (documents, etc) took 10 mos. and still were incomplete.

Gremcat

Funny/sad story, my first bill locally was $10k or some crazy number. I returned it explaining the job description (major surgeon) wasn’t accurate and I don’t make $MM/year. The second bill was the same amount but listed my occupation as CEO. No clue where they get the info. I’m honestly not even certain it’s resolved yet 4 years later.