Debbie Downer Day

Don

Yesterday was a loss in most ways. I went to Frances E Walter's Blackwater Reservoir. Great day for boating. Dead day for me fishing. Its easy to get discouraged but I have to remind myself that I didn't fish for forty years and for the last four I've change all my old practices out for all the new stuff. I am still trying to figure out plastics and picked the wrong lake to do it on.

All the fish I marked were very deep (24-62'). I had one school that kept coming under me. I got to thinking that they might be a school of crappie so I took a very small Panther Martin and lowered it down to about 40' while anchored in 80 ' and began jigging. Wasn't long until I had one 8" Crappie but then no more. Its the first time I've caught something from the depths and also that it was located with sonar.

I believe I've quite over-loaded my sensibilities this year with new gadgets and stuff. It is Ironic that I've had these two nice bait casters out many times this year but all the bass Ive caught were caught on....not spinning, not bait casting but spincast rigs. Go figure.

Oh, I almost forgot, I also caught a 3" sunny. They never let you drown in your sorrows.

Solitario Lupo

That’s a good way to figure out the sonar. Catching what shows up.

For your baitcaster just put on something that you know works and you’ll get them.

Don

It was funny as I had just read an article not two days before where someone uses typical inline spinners to jig deep water with. I tried it and BINGO!

truecrimson

He did, but then NY salmon made him sell all the stuff he bought after Nock made him sell all his old stuff ;)

Reactions: A-5

Don

Well that would be a Debbie Downer Day.

My biggest problem is my boat. It is a river boat and a lousy lake boat. Because it has no keel and is completely rounded on the bottom it spins like a top in the wind. Some year I'll address this.