Difference in size

Melvinp

There’s a pretty big difference between companies and their hook sizing

Attachments

• 9B91E38C-FA78-4CB9-8E38-51277732FA38.jpeg
    9B91E38C-FA78-4CB9-8E38-51277732FA38.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 4

Gremcat

Yep I found a big discrepancy when I went on my quest for a perfect hook. In all fairness It wasn’t just brand but style too. Bet we tried 24+ hooks for one purpose last spring. I find the same issue with swivels and No Knots too.

Solitario Lupo

Something else I had to figure out myself when I got into fly tying. Now if I like the hooks I’ll keep the bags or storage containers they come in so I can easily find them again.

Don

Hobby lobby has an array of nice plastic boxes to choose from at wholesale pricing. I hope to standardize the size box I buy so that I can stack them efficiently for the amount of space I have.

Melvinp

I try to keep my hooks in the box’s or bags it get them in so I have the numbers and I try to save the last hook in the back for future reference

Don

I knew you were organized. I keep the package as well but am thinking of gettin bigger plastic boxes to put the packages into.

Melvinp

I knew you were organized. I keep the package as well but am thinking of gettin bigger plastic boxes to put the packages into.
Organized laugh my ever loving butt off

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1

Don

Yes. Boxes like that. must be nice since you cleaned up the area this past winter.

Ed what size and brand of hook do you tie your black lures onto?

edcowan

Yes. Boxes like that. must be nice since you cleaned up the area this past winter.

Ed what size and brand of hook do you tie your black lures onto?
Not sure which lure you are talking about. Jig hooks Gamakatsu are shorter than Mustad or VMC. Bigger is not always better and these are all good hooks.

edcowan

You can get a bigger Gamakatsu hook in most molds. Typically different weight jigs have different hooks and generally you want the hook to match the plastic and weight is used to adjust drop speed. There is no reason to use a different hook size for a 1/4 or 1/2 oz jig with the same 4" swim bait.

Don

Wow that’s allot of weight. This old fly fisher would have trouble with that.