Direction: lookin for some!

Don

You all know that I'm not a trophy hunter. Many is the time I've had to remind A-5 that it is not about the tug but rather its about the experience. So I fish for the types and species I like and Black Bass and an occasional Smallie remain a pleasant By-catch. At Merrill Creek fishermen often get glassy-eyed and emotional about certain things and this yr I hope to prove them right. They always mention the sizable Smallies they catch along the three Dam Breasts. When I try to get them to talk more about it or ask what they were using their usual answer is "I can't stop for then, I got the planers out and I cant stop there". Finally I met a 'Clear-eyed' fisherman that targets these and he said that there are indeed some chunky Smallmouth along there. When I go along the Dams I see fish about 100' out in 15-30' and I assume these are a mix of Largemouth, smallmouth and seasonally Brownies and Salmon. I want to target them a little and would like to toss baits (TR and SB) perpendicular to the dam. Of course there are two choices....I could position near the Dam and cast out or I could position out 100' and cast in to the dam. From reading I realize that cranbaits and square bills, something I don't use, are often fished from deep to shallow whereas with TR and Crawlers I've not seen much talk of direction.
What do you recommend and what would you do.

Last edited:

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
YouTube Merrill and Round Valley. I know Sea Money made some trips to those lakes, using various methods, not a ton of success but some.

This situation sounds familiar to when I was looking for advice on Stripers in Beltzville. Every video I found was trolling or shear luck when Bass fishing. Talking with some locals dockside, they gave me their take, fish it like you’re cat fishing with small bits of chicken liver.

I got lucky a couple of days at Beltzville and found them grouped, on the hunt creating boils and then throwing a jerk Shad into the boils but those chance days I was not targeting them, they just presented themselves and I seized the moment.

Solitario Lupo

Not getting the part you see fish 100’ out in 15-30’. I’m guessing you’re in your boat and can’t pass the buoys by the dam?? So your asking about casting to them.

Just google the lake looks great wish I was up that way to fish it. I would find some good spots for them salmon and just let some live bait sit as I would throw some kind of lure.
Also I would think the bass are not really mixed in with them. Some maybe but the numbers of them are doing their own thing. Probably in shallower waters. But this all depends on the lake also as that might be the way they learn how to hunt.

Don

On the finder I see the most fish when I am 50-100' from the dam. At that point I anchor in 15-30'. that is 100' out from dam (see me waving at you?). I will make radii casts towards land and cover the area well before moving along further parallel to the dam where I will cast towards land again. Some of these YouTube wiseacres suggest that in spring, if Im using crank baits and Texas Rigs I should actually anchor near the Dam and cast out. That way as I retrieve the baits will naturally be easier to keep near the bottom. For spring I won't use live bait as 1) I want to learn more about artificial and 2) I'm truly after Smallies. In the fall the trout/salmon are there in bigger numbers and I use spoons for them. I'm slowly learning to use patience. I do so by making me use artificial.

IMG_5969.JPG

A-5

As far as trophy fish. I don’t see a point spending a 1,000 bucks to fish for 8” trout. Nothing really to do about trophy fish. I can not help the fish I catch are way bigger than most here.

Don

I don't know how to simplify this but let me try one more time, for those from Reo Linda.
Do I anchor inshore and cast out or do I anchor out and cast inshore?

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
FWIW, I fish from the bank during the winter as long as there is open water. I’ve been out a few times the last couple of weeks to 2 local reservoirs and the river and haven’t caught jack! I’m probably not the best resource. ;) but I say, try it all! But first try with a method you have true confidence in.

A-5

Wait you said what would you recommend. That’s the Giant turd. As for the dam you can throw down up sideway the incline. All different ways. The fish will let you know their preference. I generally work shallower to deeper. Unless I enter a cove I will fish deeper to shallow.

Don

" I generally work shallower to deeper. Unless I enter a cove I will fish deeper to shallow."
Wow, you answered. Now I have your knowledge, your preference, your exceptions...had to drag it out of you.....I also have the Z-Man TRD. I have it in one of TS's favorite colors. Now, I'm exhausted.

Don

Can't drift on this dam. The wind is always towards the dam and the Fetch is One Mile so the chop is often appreciable.

truecrimson

Wait you said what would you recommend. That’s the Giant turd. As for the dam you can throw down up sideway the incline. All different ways. The fish will let you know their preference. I generally work shallower to deeper. Unless I enter a cove I will fish deeper to shallow.
This. Exactly this. Try it all and the fish will let you know which one is good for them right then.

Reactions: Don

truecrimson

I do like throwing parallel to the damn, or even to a bank, and reeling in my lure like it's making a long run down the bank. To the fish, the dam is just another bank.

Don

I do that in summer but the average size bass is smaller and same for the panfish. Perhaps it will work better in colder water. Always seemed to me that the real bully's hung around on the outside of the schoolyard. Just out of the reach of accountability. I find its not much different for big fish...just outside the schoolyard and you can't hold them accountable from the shore. ya gotta go to them. The exception is Dusk and Dawn.