DIY line building

Gremcat

Got the flat taper strung on reel and added xtra fast sink tip. ? On how to smooth the transition. I could hear shrink but it’s sort of a bump. Could retie with a lighter line between then heat shrink. I’ve heard various adhesives, etc. I’m using a tight version of a loop to loop between them. I don’t really want the joint to pivot so to speak preferring a fairly rigid joint if that makes sense. I may have to go to a slower sink but won’t know until I try.

Gremcat

Failed.... got like length and leader dialed in, def didn’t dig the super slow action but the extra 12” was sweet. The problem was the Flat Taper floating line sank. I cut the xtra fast sink tip off to see if maybe that was “pulling” down the line and I used a longer flouro leader, still sank for 2-3’, probably fine for fly fishing but not what I’m doing. I’m guessing it’s the WF head on my usual line that helps it float, lots of mass, I’m running a few grams of shot up the line.

Soooooo, two choices, cut the sink tip back on my good 5WF line and buy a second when I start taking lessons or double down and buy a short shooting head for the slick shooter line I have and maybe use a short piece of sink tip.

Gremcat

Pics of what I’m fishing, it’s this, or short fast deep pockets surrounded by trees. I can really do well but I have to be super precise on how I setup my leaders or it’s a hassle. When it’s “On” I feel like a Super Hero. Most of the time it’s not and I lose precision or otherwise choke casting. I did pay attention and I’m “Underhand” casting not sling shotting much.

Attachments

• 91114D5F-EC2D-4288-9A3D-020E9422529C.jpeg
    91114D5F-EC2D-4288-9A3D-020E9422529C.jpeg
    5.5 MB · Views: 2
  • B417296F-CE3D-4447-A677-67BCA36BDA19.jpeg
    B417296F-CE3D-4447-A677-67BCA36BDA19.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 2

Gremcat

I am getting to where I make anything work though lol. This was mostly by accident in that run. If you look downstream in the area pics you’ll see there’s two more runs in the trees in the background. It’s pretty unique water but it’s as close to heaven as I can get. Pure magic for a month or so in the spring. D3FDF605-5860-4566-8C41-87FBDAC6DC4F.jpeg8C39DBD7-133F-4C92-B502-108A3C327DE0.jpeg

Gremcat

Too add to the challenges on this creek, in the pics I’m over a log with 15’ of straight bank I slid down behind me on a 2’x1’ flat spot and moving anywhere else spooks them. Most of the water is much faster and deeper than this too. I have to adjust constantly to water level and how trees/branches have moved since the trip prior. Always moving shot and what not.

Gremcat

I generally drift down under those log jams. Leader and sink tip kind of need to be precise to form a downward curve to not get tangled. If you followed this long you might laugh but I pull 20-30 15-18” trout out of here most trips and some over 20”.

Gremcat

Hahaha, I can count on one hand the reties in the last dozen trips or 2-300 trout, I’m either stupid lucky or have it close to dialed in. Helped a 55 yo newbie and even hand tossed line for him hooking one. DNR showed and said they stocked that day so no wonder. I did switch back to my usual 8’ tip making my lady sexy again and used the 5wf line at a different creek. Sank just like my homemade stuff. Have it figured out...... or need to order skagit Max Short and see if that catches a bit better than 9/10 fish, LOL. Something wrong with me I think when I’m passing over pods of 30+ 15” trout and trying to improve on catching the pickiest of picky in my home waters. Told my brother about that creek and where I pulled trout from and his only response was “When they are under that tree in open water they NEVER EVER take”. I hit it at 4pm after a few spinning guys walked away and peeled the two biggest out of it. I should just stop and fish now. I can dink with “perfect” later...

Gremcat

I do find good spinners and lures wading that though. I’ll get a pic of the IMPOSSIBLE tree I pull them out of. That one is sheer luck but going 3/4 on oversized stockies I played it off like I had otherworldly abilities last year LoL, confidence seems to make the difference some days.

Gremcat

Whatever your doing seems to be working. Pulling in some nice trout.
Not hard when every hole has 20-30 hungry trout in it. Just takes a bit of figuring on those tough holes and the ones I posted might be the easiest. It’s the real fast short skinny deep pocket water that is tough. I do know now 9’ let you hit pockets much more stealthily. Soft rods are the devil when trying to keep them out of the logs too. I’ve been known to let my rod tip wrap around logs too if need be. If I break my lady it’ll be an awful year so probably won’t keep that mess up but feel I’m figuring out my line/knot strength on the 4lbs Seaguar when I can unwrap logs by hand and still land them. Probably just jinxed myself though.

Gremcat

Going to have to find a 9’ or 9’6” St Croix Imperial 5wt this season if one existed. I struggled with accuracy but blame the soft action. The rod length seemed to get me into spots I’d have spooked before if I can get the precision down.

HenryDavid

I use a fast tip for streamer fishing, hitting pocket water and delicate spots inches from downed timber requires a stiffer tip, more control on short-medium casts.