Do we dare?

Don

I'm probably open 15 or 16 but won't be sure until I get my trip over. 22 or 23 is a sure thing.

Don

Took a selfie today

Attachments

• 03EB7D39-5C37-45AE-AFEB-D086B25D38EA.jpeg
    03EB7D39-5C37-45AE-AFEB-D086B25D38EA.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 3

Gremcat

I'm probably open 15 or 16 but won't be sure until I get my trip over. 22 or 23 is a sure thing.
22 or 23 work I think if no one needs rental. Have beds and what not but sometimes nice having private space with kitchen, living room, bathroom, etc.

truecrimson

Either one is fine for us as far as I know, at this moment in time, subject to change without notice, your mileage may vary, I did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, I do not play one on TV ;)

Gremcat

Slow to respond, some weird bug or just fatigue but dizzy/chills so resting, maybe just travel catching up with me, I didn’t see earlier responses but if later date works for all let’s use that one. The earlier date is bear opener so some might be hunting. I intend to tagout again on archery opening day for deer and bear😁

Actually my super secret stand spot right next to house lol will have a buddy’s adult son in it so I might not hunt much. He’s been trying a long time with bow. I told him much like my fishing dock my stand spot is as close to sure thing as it gets. Someone bought the lot behind it so might change in future but hoping he gets a chance to sit there. One of a dozen in my yard:
0B05FBC0-E41E-446C-900A-EDED9E46C33F.jpeg

Gremcat

Nice buck, seeing a lot but no giants and only smallish sub 200 lbs bears lately so not super stoked to harass them. Last few years I’ve been losing the 🔥. Ironic given I’m tagging out opening day or soon after.

Gremcat

Uh-Oh! In-law wedding on 21st. I’ll be in NY that weekend it seems. Let me know alternatives or worst case y’all can use my place. I knew she told me that weekend wasn’t good. Sort of ignored the Why. Had it in my head rental was booked. She told me the wedding and I completed failed to hear it.

Gremcat

Oh, 21st is a Friday, phew. I’ll probably be back Saturday afternoon but might be tight to have a crowd Sunday. If other weekends aren’t good I’ll make Sunday work. I think wedding is upstate NY somewhere or I’d say I could get back Sat morning. I think we are taking kids to my mom’s in Albany so 4 hrs there and somehow think it’s near Saratoga so another hour. Puts me 5 hrs that Sat and knowing her family rarely gets together likely we’ll have brunch with them.

If earlier weekends work and someone does come the night before I’m happy to show you a few hard access wild trout tribs, a few spots on Lehigh you can measure trout in lbs not inches, or a spot or two where river spawning brown pods hang out. Hopefully foliage is in season and temps are cool. If your a fish eater not as critical but I try not to harass them when it’s hot. Honestly, the ones I kept from Lehigh taste like river water lol.

Gremcat

Or if your significant other likes restaurants/shopping downtown is a stones throw away. I don’t recommend hiking the overlook or falls. Technically falls is illegal now but us locals get left alone. My concern is more that I think the 15-16th weekend is that newer special inline black powder season and the nice hikes technically aren’t in Park like most think. Those are all Gamelands which I avoid Oct-Nov unless I’m hunting. I’ve seen some hunters “checking” hikers across gorge in their scopes, etc. Always fall hikers but not worth one of ours getting hurt.

Gremcat

Fair warning, foliage season town is beyond packed if that bothers you. I can get to better views from my yard so I just avoid the train or town that month. If someone wants to go down I can drop you to save finding parking but it honestly takes me 45 mins to go 1/4 mile loop down and back.

Also reminds me, DO NOT come in through downtown. It backs up all the way over mountain into Lehighton and almost no way to turn off once you start into town. Your options are stone rock face or down over cliff into gorge. There aren’t side roads on that hill once your on it.

When we get other details secured I can provide directions from anywhere to minimize local traffic.

Gremcat

Not even coming down from Don’s favorite Mauch Chunk lake is an option. That long lot by river is closed by 8-9am and the overflow is the lake with buses shuttling back and forth. Sam Miller field is the other overflow so nothing from that side of town isn’t completely congested. If you want a local driving tour that isn’t the time of year for it. Walking town is doable but driving not so much.

Gremcat

Heck if someone comes early and wants to hunt I basically live in the park. You can access the side no one goes to from almost the edge of my yard. I can help you find a spot depending on your mobility.

If you come during that special season I’ve an in-line you can use as well. I just use archery where I hunt but if you take old roads down to gorge and follow the old mining town road the inline is a better option. That’s where all the deer go when pressured. Thick laurels and open scree/rock slides make it hard to chase them from above. There are old stone lochs that make good spots to hunt or just walking that trail/road glassing up. Something in soil at one Loch, maybe minerals from mule feed or something. I’ve watched 20+ does digging dirt for hours 10’ away while sitting against one Loch. I’ve stands, blind, ILBE pack that’s triple purpose. ILBE is tall so tucked into base of tree it’s a great makeshift hide. Carry anything and everything in it comfortably. Get lucky and it can pack out 200 lbs, easily best way is to field quarter and that’s exactly what I do even right by house. I pack a cordless sawzall and black bags. Takes me 15 mins to clean and quarter a deer leaving guts in. 4-5 bear dens up in those rocks too. I’ve pics from being in one after kicking bear out of it.

Gremcat

So lot of options for anyone who comes in early or stays late. Just need date, HC, dietary restrictions, etc. I’ll plan to take a few days off around the get together to cover anything else someone might want to do.

I know nothing about Beltzville fall Striper other than the inlet they go up. If you’ve a boat and want to do that I have lots of driveway to store it but can’t really help with details about the lake. I fish Po above and below it but that’s really it. I chat with the random person at the inlet side fishing for them from shore. One is a guide of sorts and tells me there’s no use from boat in winter because they are in the inlet. He uses a big ball of chicken liver/night crawlers. I usually see him in late Nov-Dec so Oct they are probably still in lake. It’s about 15-20 min drive through mountains to get to launch.