Does anyone have

Melvinp

Advice on line counter reels gotta take the plunge on some down rigger rods and reels anyone do any serious trolling

Don

I'm always serious and I'm Watching as well for answers. Saw some good videos online.

Solitario Lupo

I got line counters I can put on rods. I used them a couple times. Not exact on but gives you a close idea. I used it more for jigging in deeper waters not really trolling. If I trolled and wanted to know length I would do silly stuff like let so much line off and measure it to the boat or rod length. Another way measure your line off in section and mark it.

If your doing a lot of trolling especially in deeper lakes. I would get a good trolling reel with the counter attached. Definitely read reviews as some are cheap and I hear stop working. Let us know how it goes.

truecrimson

Well, I make a lot of smart ass comments here, but my real trolling happens on....oh, different trolling. Never mind ;)

Don

I got line counters I can put on rods. I used them a couple times. Not exact on but gives you a close idea. I used it more for jigging in deeper waters not really trolling. If I trolled and wanted to know length I would do silly stuff like let so much line off and measure it to the boat or rod length. Another way measure your line off in section and mark it.

If your doing a lot of trolling especially in deeper lakes. I would get a good trolling reel with the counter attached. Definitely read reviews as some are cheap and I hear stop working. Let us know how it goes.
Always thought I could use bobber stops. Maybe even multi colors.

truecrimson

The thread bobber stops that you can reel up won't be stable enough for long term line marking. After they get wet and dry they loosen and will slide.

Solitario Lupo

I would use something more permanent if your going to mark your line plus I think that would get a little pricey. Also all those little threads will screw up your casts.

Melvinp

I’ve used bobber stops for this and it does work but it’s hard to change the distance of the stop and measuring 30 feet off line is not all that much fun then if you want to change the distance you have to start all over again

Don

Has anyone tried this style? they seem to stay where you place them.

Attachments

• IMG_2293.JPG
    IMG_2293.JPG
    22.6 KB · Views: 0