Done with the 8wt

Melvinp

I think a lot of this has to do with the action of the rod and not the weight don’t get me wrong I’ve seen a lot of big fish landed on a 8 and a 50ld musky would definitely push the envelope but a 12 should be able to land a marlin of course be pending on situations what ever weight you feel you need make sure to buy exactly what you want and with flyrods it could sting a little.And get a good warranty I guess after all that I would go 9/10 but fast action and I say that manly just for throwing heavy or very wind resistant flys and of course I’ve never landed a musky lol

Last edited:

HenryDavid

I was going to mention action. My river smallie 8wt. is a Scientific Angler, pretty much a fast action tip but the butt end of the rod is slim. I picked up a used Fenwick 7 wt. a few years back that I had to repair the reel seat, it's very slow action and too whippy for me. Then I have a super cheap South Bend "Black Beauty" 8-ft. 8-inch 8wt. that is more like a broom, lol. The action is very fast and the butt end of the rod is super thick. I've only used it a few times, I really don't like it but I haven't used it very much, might make a good rod for throwing big streamers. Neither the Fenwick nor the South Bend have fighting butts, my Scientific Anglers rod does.

Attachments

• Fly Rod Action.jpg
    Fly Rod Action.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 2

Solitario Lupo

My 8wt gotta be a slow action. Don’t think that cuts it when I get the bigger ones on. My buddy had a 8wt and I saw how it held up to a 20lb salmon. So I’m guessing the action has a lot to do with it. As his was a thicker rod. Figure if I gotta get a new rod then I’m going bigger so I can really muscle those fish around in the stronger current.

Melvinp

I would guess that your looking in the IM7 range for graphite rods next is how much do you want to SPEND lol

Melvinp

I was going to mention action. My river smallie 8wt. is a Scientific Angler, pretty much a fast action tip but the butt end of the rod is slim. I picked up a used Fenwick 7 wt. a few years back that I had to repair the reel seat, it's very slow action and too whippy for me. Then I have a super cheap South Bend "Black Beauty" 8-ft. 8-inch 8wt. that is more like a broom, lol. The action is very fast and the butt end of the rod is super thick. I've only used it a few times, I really don't like it but I haven't used it very much, might make a good rod for throwing big streamers. Neither the Fenwick nor the South Bend have fighting butts, my Scientific Anglers rod does.
Perfect example.You can have a fighting butt put on most rods if you know a good rod builder I had one put on my 7wt fenwick

Solitario Lupo

Question why do you need a butt on a fly rod. Mine has one and I never use it. I can see two handed casts. Also they can be great for spin or centerpin but a fly rod that's fast action.

Solitario Lupo

I would guess that your looking in the IM7 range for graphite rods next is how much do you want to SPEND lol
As expensive as I can get a good sale on them. If you know someone who builds them let me know. Anyone on the site want to do it let me know.

Melvinp

As expensive as I can get a good sale on them. If you know someone who builds them let me know. Anyone on the site want to do it let me know.
Store bought rods are truly cheaper and have a better warranty(they can afford you slamming them in a car door) but custom rod are 100% what you want and usually done in a matter in which the rod builder would want his own to be.If you want a custom rod you really,really need to know what YOU want.

HenryDavid

Question why do you need a butt on a fly rod. Mine has one and I never use it. I can see two handed casts. Also they can be great for spin or centerpin but a fly rod that's fast action.
I stick the end of the fighting butt against my body and just lean back to keep pressure on a strong fish.

Solitario Lupo

Looks like pretty much every big game rod I look at had them on. Don’t think it would get much use musky fishing since your holding the line with the other hand playing tug of war but I could be wrong.

Solitario Lupo

I stick the end of the fighting butt against my body and just lean back to keep pressure on a strong fish.
I love doing that with my spinning rod. But I’m starting to learn not to stick the rod tip in the air straight up and down I’ve missed a lot of musky doing this when they jump the hook/lure goes flying out their mouth. Learning how to bow to the fish. So most of the time my rod tip is pointing down at the water.

HenryDavid

I love doing that with my spinning rod. But I’m starting to learn not to stick the rod tip in the air straight up and down I’ve missed a lot of musky doing this when they jump the hook/lure goes flying out their mouth. Learning how to bow to the fish. So most of the time my rod tip is pointing down at the water.
I have zero experience with musky on the fly, it would be interesting sor sure. I had a long toothy type critter chase my wooly bugger once on the Susky, one chomp and the line was sliced, I was told the area I was fishing in Falls, Pa. was known for pike. I would think it would be difficult to get a good hook set with a beast like that, do you use a steel leader?

Solitario Lupo

It’s a wire that you can run your own leaders and put your own knots in it. Can’t remember the name but if I think of it illl post back. Melvin told me about it and works great.

Melvinp

American fishing wire Co.surflon it’s knotable wire you can tie clinch and loop knots with it.there’s a couple of companies that make it.