Dry flies

Solitario Lupo

I see dry flies are pretty much feather and dubbing. If I tie this even on a dry fly hook it gets water logged and sinks.

So how do you tie a dry fly that doesn’t sink.
Melvinp I need help.

Nappy

Frog dust or float high can be added for a coating.
Very lite tippet
Snowshoe hare foot fur works well
Winter coat deer hair floats better
CDC also.
Foam underlay on some

Melvinp

I see dry flies are pretty much feather and dubbing. If I tie this even on a dry fly hook it gets water logged and sinks.

So how do you tie a dry fly that doesn’t sink.
Melvinp I need help.
Floatent or foam not much of a dry fly guy really but can say use the smallest thread you can get and only use the minimum you need.Even go as far as adding floatent to your tippet and leader to keep it from pulling your fly down.

Solitario Lupo

Looks like what I thought. I see a lot say use floatant. I used foam for a under layer on a dry fly hook then used synthetic materials and also used polyester thread. The thing sank like a rock.
Back to the table to see what I can do.

Don

Well this was a timely subject. It looks like my trip to the Green and Flaming Gorge is moving to the Gros Ventre area near Jackso Wyo. This year I want to tie my own.......it not necessarily cheaper but it is a growth experience for me. I'll need the Elk Caddis to float as well as one or two others. Currently most of my thread is 3 or 6 and I'm thinking of getting a couple basic colors in 8 and 12 and maybe mono. Would this be a good idea?

Melvinp

If you want them to float you have to use foam or floatent I beat my head over a rock with elk hair cassis a while back and the only way I could get one to float overnight was foam and don’t tie it down tight if it isn’t expanded it won’t float long I was using craft foam and it wasn’t the best.I hate to be messing with floatent and drying your fly every 2nd to 3rd cast but I’m afraid without foam that’s the way it is.Killer part trying to tie a 18 or smaller is tough with foam

Melvinp

Was just messing with the poopers and realized a point that I should have made (don kinda helped) on anything that has hair in it make sure you get all the little fine fuzz out of it (it’s like a sponge)use a comb it really helps lol some where in my mess I have a plastic lice comb that works well

Don

Yes I use my own lice comb, hahahahahaha.
What about thread size. Do I need size 8 or 12 thread?

Solitario Lupo

I see floating materials out like polypro yarn. Mcflylon another one. Think I might try a little to see what this can do anyone on here try it.

HenryDavid

I struggle with this mostly during the white fly hatch on the Susquehanna. The smallmouth bass really put a beating on dry flies. In my opinion floatant is only good on a perfectly dry fly, after it gets wet the dust will help but mostly I just squeeze the moisture out with my shirt sleeve and blow it dry, false casting can help, then it floats a little while til another bass destroys it.

There is a patch made from from a material named amadou that has high praise, it's over $25 for a small patch though. I read that a piece of Sham-Wow works also.

Definitely put floatant on the tippet and leader. I used to have shark skin line on my 6wt. and after a couple years it began to crack and sink, I remember coating it with floatant as a temp fix, lol, desperate times, it worked for a short time.

I tried pre-treating some sulphurs last year but that was mostly a bust, lasted only a short while.

I really wish I could find an unsinkable white fly, friends of mine have tried creating them with some foam with mixed results, they've even tried using glow in the dark material so we could see takes after dark. Melvin is pretty much spot on with the use of foam. I wonder if a small piece of balsa or cork would work as a body, the rest of the fly isn't as important as the smallies are not so picky, usually, lol.

Don

I just tied up my first parachute Adam’s. What a chore. They’re cool though. I’ve been using the regular Adam’s for Gills now for two years. But now that I’m heading west I want what is best for trout and rumor has it that the parachute is the best.
there are allot of seemingly reputable folks tying with polypropylene yarn but I like to use the authentic stuff when possible.

Don

I just tied up my first parachute Adam’s. What a chore. They’re cool though. I’ve been using the regular Adam’s for Gills now for two years. But now that I’m heading west I want what is best for trout and rumor has it that the parachute is the best.
there are allot of seemingly reputable folks tying with polypropylene yarn but I like to use the authentic stuff when possible.
Here is a start. I have only the wrong hooks and wrong hackle but I wanted to see if I could do it. Couple more days and I think I could do it but first I have to order the right stuff.
IMG_4972.jpeg

Last edited:

Don

Thanks,
It's outa whack proportionally but I have an order in to Bob for the right hooks and will pick better hackle and thread at a local store. I think if I just keep measuring and not give up it will come together.

Nappy

Anyone ever tied with what they call a boobee head? Seems like it would float a dry for ever. When water logged it might look like a emerges but would still float. HD what size hooks do you use for smallies drys