Dying cork

Don

Had anyone tried dying cork for a rod handle? I want to make a rod that is jet black and I want cork instead of Eva.

Don

I guess that in some ways I'm putting the Cart before the Ox. It would be for my new Gloss Black Baitcasters and maybe someday a Mitchel 304 Spinning reel. Marvin said I'll hate Baitcasters. Meanwhile TS says I'll like them more and more. So I won't make the rod until I actually fish it for a while and decide for myself. I'll be starting a Spincast rod soon for my Son.
Ever notice that with lighter or even brighter colored rods that all black reels are sort of lost? Ever notice that natural cork handles on dark or black rods are sort of Clashy looking? My thinking is to dye the cork like I do with Deer and Possum hair and then build a black rod and the Glossy black reel will really stand out. Same with the Mitchel Reels.
What do you think?

A-5

I ditched cork mandate. It’s actually not all that and Eva holds up better. Better grip and softer on the hands. Once it was explained to me I thought about it and the person was right about the cork. It’s not that nice.

Don

I ditched cork mandate. It’s actually not all that and Eva holds up better. Better grip and softer on the hands. Once it was explained to me I thought about it and the person was right about the cork. It’s not that nice.
I , I can’t believe you just said that. You better get a grip on yourself.
I had been an EVA or Rubber handle dude for sketchy years upon sketchy year. Then I repented, the corkers let me back in, and I love it. May do a cane handle some day. Might like carbon fiber.
Have you used the carbon fiber jobs yet? They look classy.

A-5

I use wood and Eva. Trust me I was a cork handle only guy for years. It’s highly over rated

A-5

Lupo not to bad. The handle is a laminate so it is more like a carbon handle. It’s colder than a regular handle. But they look great. I get them from eBay guy is in the Lehighton area

Don

If it ain't cork it won't work.

Actually I like the concept of rubber that Kastking and some others are using. More of my rods are Eva than cork but I always use the cork if I can. I guess it is personal. I like the look of that green wood handle.

A-5

Don 100 percent I was in your camp. Then a friend said yea the cork is rough on my fingers. After a day on the water he was right the cork sucks. Gets beat up and looks dirty. I’ve moved on. Thanks for the likening of the hand I think they are sharp.

Melvinp

I like both but they both have issues nothing is perfect for everyone cork does get dirty and can be tough on the hands but Eva gets slimy after handing a bunch of fish or worms I actually like cork better just for the grip

Reactions: Don

Don

Oh yea all my handles are slimey all the time. I thought that’s how all fishing rods are except for TC’s!
do you have Isopropyl alcohol? Do you have cotton balls or paper towels? Rub the cork with that and it will be clean in a jiff. You may have to do it several times. I acquire old rods and do this all the time and some of these are 1950's rods. This treatment lasts for a while and leaves the handle nice and "Grippy".
Don't get Alcohol on the rod itself as it may remove certain rod coatings and decals. Be careful. You'll like it.

Don

So Its my guess that no one has fished or held a rod with Carbon Fiber handle?

A-5

Don. I do not and will not ever ever clean any rod unless it’s absolutely needed. Waders can not be cleaned. Every goo mark is a badge of honor on the rod and waders. To clean it is to be well what could I say.

A sissy maybe!

Melvinp

do you have Isopropyl alcohol? Do you have cotton balls or paper towels? Rub the cork with that and it will be clean in a jiff. You may have to do it several times. I acquire old rods and do this all the time and some of these are 1950's rods. This treatment lasts for a while and leaves the handle nice and "Grippy".
Don't get Alcohol on the rod itself as it may remove certain rod coatings and decals. Be careful. You'll like it.
Brake cleaner but it’s tough on stuff but it’s instant