Dying cork

Gremcat

T
do you have Isopropyl alcohol? Do you have cotton balls or paper towels? Rub the cork with that and it will be clean in a jiff. You may have to do it several times. I acquire old rods and do this all the time and some of these are 1950's rods. This treatment lasts for a while and leaves the handle nice and "Grippy".
Don't get Alcohol on the rod itself as it may remove certain rod coatings and decals. Be careful. You'll like it.
That’s almost sacrilege,,,, my favorite St Croix cork handle feels like my favorite old boots and the character reminds me of the thousands of trout it’s caught.

The rod A-5 made for my brother with laminate is nice. I appreciate the feel and featherweight one piece split grip Z made. If I ever get a 5-6wt 12’6” Sage One Spey made into a float rod I’ll likely use raw carbon fiber but my favorite rods are cork.

For getting that dark look, burnt cork or sealed might get you what you want. I do want to make a crazy stacked multicolored cork one some day. I had a bunch of cork rings picked out twice now and was going to add in the jigs to cut into 8 wedges and slice thinner. Still haven’t done it.

Don

I think I would like the cane fly rod handle as well...as long as it is over cork.
Matt Draft does a nice Job at www.proofflyfishing.com .

Don

I emailed Muddle about dying cork and they said that they had heard that black wood dye or wood stain worked for some folks. Want it to be very black and may have to go Carbon Fiber or ......or.....EVA.

Gremcat

The guy on EBay from PA A-5 gets some steelhead stuff from has a bunch on his eBay store unless you’ve bought cork and just need to die. In that case I’d go with the same dark dye I used for traps. Boil some oak leaves outside. Water will be nearly black and will nicely dye cork I bet.