Early top water action - gills & crappie

HenryDavid

Black Bug!
Nice. Tuesday?
Yes Tuesday, it was warm and there were stoneflies and grannoms out, black seemed to work so I kept using it. I went back yesterday and caught a few but it was wild windy and we had snow :( but they were still hitting the popper. Working this weekend but I might try again tomorrow for an hour or so.

HenryDavid

I checked the local lake this evening, got there around 5:54pm, very windy, action was slow, still caught a few, then close to 7pm the wind died down some and the action picked up. More nice crappies today, lots of hits and misses.
20210423_190748.jpg
20210423_191942.jpg
20210423_192359.jpg
20210423_192612.jpg
1.jpg
Action continued til around 8pm when I split, the water was so calm,
big fish rising off boat dock
20210423_193622.jpg

Don

It was miserable today on the lake. Out of 6 boats only 10 fish were caught. 1 Crappy, 2 or three Gills and the rest small Perch. Should've gone to Blue Marsh.

HenryDavid

I think I fished Gouldsboro once, it's got some weedy areas near shoreline right? I gave up floating the lake for gills. I'm much more efficient from shore. I've walked at least 50% of the shoreline at Frances Slocum Lake and only one spot has continuously produced big slab bull gills. There are 2 "cribs" located 40 feet or so off the shore and the depth increases slowly from the shoreline out which is pretty weedy with obvious signs of spawning beds. The cribs were loaded with gills and crappie during the ice fishing season, it's only about 4-5 deep there, 6 feet deepest on that side of the lake, mostly shallow with some significant weed beds.

I ran onto the spot a few years ago by accident and thought I could replicate the action on other spots but was wrong. It was during ice season that I found the "crib" map and I don't know if there's a correlation but there may be.

20210421_185941[1].jpg
20210421_185138[1].jpg

It's kind of difficult to see this from a boat.

HenryDavid

Yes, the cast doesn't have to go far, they hit fairly close to shore. There are spots that would be impossible to shore fish from but I'd rather deal with that than a boat in the wind. I have a good open area behind me at this spot for back casting, just have to watch out for people and pets.

Don

At Gouldsboro it is shallow like ankle to knee deep and very clear now I stand in the boat to fish. There was nothing visible anywhere. I had hits in 4' but it felt like a Shiner or something small. Tomorrow I'm going again.