Electronics

Don

I’m a simple man. Wife says simpleton but I argue. I like simple gear. I want to buy an entry level plotter/finder for my little blue boat. I have been looking at the Garmin Striker V. Anyone try this? Will you admit it?

Don

I meant Striker 4 :

Attachments

• E4754181-DCFB-4026-BF3A-BE73563BFD3C.jpeg
    E4754181-DCFB-4026-BF3A-BE73563BFD3C.jpeg
    17.7 KB · Views: 5

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
I am a Garmin fan, this boat and my last boat had Garmin, all planned and installed by myself. However, brand does not matter when you are looking at entry level finders. They’re going to show you sonar, the older technology that everyone does very well. Amongst all of the major brands, I think you would find Garmin’s menu system a little more friendly than the rest. The fact that the 4 has some kind of mapping for that price, I’d say that units is worth its price and to go for it.

Reactions: A-5

Melvinp

Only ever had one occasion that I actually caught a fish because of my fish finder the whole screen went black and it picked up bigger fish in the cloud (had to be baitfish)had a stellar day pounding bass,callico and Gill out of the darkness.I really don’t normally fish water that a finder really does me any good but that’s about to change.

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
Only ever had one occasion that I actually caught a fish because of my fish finder the whole screen went black and it picked up bigger fish in the cloud (had to be baitfish)had a stellar day pounding bass,callico and Gill out of the darkness.I really don’t normally fish water that a finder really does me any good but that’s about to change.

I think this is the norm for most anglers. You get out there and fish, the finder tells you the depth and clues you in here and there.

I've gone off the deep end with it. If you guys ever have questions, I'll probably be able to answer them. It's just stupid what fishing things fill this head. ;)

pabassman

I've had a lot of good days because of my electronics. Open water and ice. Surprising when ice fishing how high fish suspend. Before graphs I would be fishing under them. Now I can bring my bait right up to the level of the fish. Open water I can find deeper cover thats holding fish. Many times I have found schools of bait and there's always bigger fish around them. Shallow water they dont come into play for me at all but over about twelve feet they work wonders.

Don

PBM, I was also surprised by where which species suspends at. I played with that a little simply by how much line I let out. It seems that bass are usually shallower that I expected.

Don

I think this is the norm for most anglers. You get out there and fish, the finder tells you the depth and clues you in here and there.

I've gone off the deep end with it. If you guys ever have questions, I'll probably be able to answer them. It's just stupid what fishing things fill this head. ;)
There is room for folks "off the deep end" and we can all learn by your exploits. Let me tell you my goal and reasoning and you tell me if my reasoning is... reasonable.
1) I have around $100 +/- to spend
2) I have poor eyesight and must use dimestore readers when looking at a screen
3) My biggest benefit with any of these small units will be the depth sounder feature as I also have a physical paper chart in hand and using the fish finder should help me confirm my location over specific bottom features
4) a GPS will he handy for getting back to the same place, time after time, where I had previous success.
5) Once lakes turn in fall a fish finder will be more helpful in deep water.
All this being said I believe these units will best serve me as depth sounders.
I am beginning to plan a build (sea skiff of some sort) for a year or two from now and it will have the complex fish/finder systems on it.

thoughts?

Attachments

• Unknown.jpeg
    Unknown.jpeg
    12 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
There is room for folks "off the deep end" and we can all learn by your exploits. Let me tell you my goal and reasoning and you tell me if my reasoning is... reasonable.
1) I have around $100 +/- to spend
2) I have poor eyesight and must use dimestore readers when looking at a screen
3) My biggest benefit with any of these small units will be the depth sounder feature as I also have a physical paper chart in hand and using the fish finder should help me confirm my location over specific bottom features
4) a GPS will he handy for getting back to the same place, time after time, where I had previous success.
5) Once lakes turn in fall a fish finder will be more helpful in deep water.
All this being said I believe these units will best serve me as depth sounders.
I am beginning to plan a build (sea skiff of some sort) for a year or two from now and it will have the complex fish/finder systems on it.

thoughts?

1, 3, 4 & 5 are all reasonable and perfectly planned. The unit you initially listed will do exactly what you need. #2 is a your mileage may vary thing just depending on your eyes. I’d recommend seeing them in person to confirm that screen size will do the trick.

Solitario Lupo

I would second the bigger screen and going to actually see some. I have both a small screen and a bigger one. For the depth and gps anyone with those features will work but there are times that a bigger screen (you may see better ) will show you some fish and finer details. When you need to.