Favorite Top Water Lure

HenryDavid

I've always preferred the Jitterbug because it's classic. I like being able to pause/stop the lure and have it keep floating so I'm not a fan of buzz baits.
I found a Whopper Plopper in mint condition hung up on a rock while wading the Susky last summer and used it a few times and found that it works pretty well, definitely draws big hits, not always hookups though.

What's your favorite?

Solitario Lupo

I've tried a whopper plopper and haven't had any luck yet but I hear they work. So far the best and easiest I've used so far are the walk the dog styles. Like the cigar shapes.

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
My only success this and last years has been on a whopper plopper for bass. And success means only 2 this year so far. :(

I love throwing a pencil popper in salt water for Stripers and Blues, it has been deadly for me when they are blitzing on bait.

Bootfoot

My only success this and last years has been on a whopper plopper for bass. And success means only 2 this year so far. :(

I love throwing a pencil popper in salt water for Stripers and Blues, it has been deadly for me when they are blitzing on bait.
good call on the pencil poppers. I forgot about them.

Randy Z

POP R!!!!!!! Cant ever go wrong. I have caught more fish on this lure than any other!!!!!! Look how worn it is!!! Thats how many fish ive caught on it. And it STILL catches fish!!! It used to have a feather tail on the back.

Attachments

• 16573979016355828840985068395982.jpg
    16573979016355828840985068395982.jpg
    626 KB · Views: 5

HenryDavid

Rattlin' Chug Bug 2 3/4" in Black over any other color. Zara Puppy in Bone.
Several hundred $ worth of Whopper Plopper inventory has netted an average of 1 fish per outing on the Susky
I think the ploppers and even the jitterbugs are more effective at night. I never had much luck with big baits during the daytime with river smallies.

Reactions: Don

HenryDavid

I pulled out "Old Bud" last night for some night time top water - Jitterbug action. Man the bite was on, only problem was they were
mostly smaller bass, and those trebles - Scary with a feisty bass attached. The hooks are too big. I had the retrieve down pat, slow and sexy,
sometimes 3 blow ups on one cast, several 3 in row hook-ups, nothing really over 12-inches but loads of action.

Only got 1 pic of a fish, most of the time I was scared that I was going to get a treble in my hand, single hooks next time? Or smaller trebles?

jbug.jpg
2.jpg
bass.JPG

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
Nice! For me, I have switched out all of my trebles for singles on my saltwater lures. When you’re hot and heavy on a bite on fish that do not cooperate ;) I’d rather miss a few than risk catching myself. And truth is, you really don’t miss that many.

Bootfoot

chicken! It only hurts when you yank it out.

I tried single hooks and hated it. not only did I lose a lot after hooking up I felt I wasn’t hooking up near as often. ill take my chances with the trebles. John Skinner feels the same way.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Attachments

• EBE0B221-D6C5-46C2-9848-100744E3081D.jpeg
    EBE0B221-D6C5-46C2-9848-100744E3081D.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 4

Don

I don’t fish much surface stuff. When I do it is either a Papa or an original black and silver Rapala.